By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metroidvania: A Love Story

Tagged games:

I love Metroidvania games and it's been such a blessing that they have been going strong in the last few years because for a while it seemed like a dead genre.

Some of my favorites are:

Super Metroid
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Guacamelee 1 & 2
Hollow Knight
Ori and the Blind Forest
Axiom Verge

Signature goes here!

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
Spindel said:
To me the first Metroid is the best and it’s still playable (I’ve played it quiet a bit on the NES app you get with Nintendo Online). Super Metroid is a superb game by all means, it’s just that the first one is better (to me).

It comes down to the ”no hand holding” approach. No minimap, no markers (for items or objectives), you are just dumped into the world and need to find your way. Playing it today I can finish it fairly quick because I roughly know where I need to go to. But for a first playtrough you get some serious time out of it (unless you use a guide or look things up online).

Well, I won't address your opinion because it's a hard disagree here, but you really should give Hollow Knight a shot. Feels like it's right up your alley.

Hollow Knight is on my ”to play” list. 

Oh I also wanted to add that although I love the Prime series to death, I don't consider any 3D game to be in the Metroidvania genre. It has to be 2D.

Signature goes here!

I don’t want to offend anyone but I hated the original Metroid, Metroid zero mission is amazing though, better than fusion and almost as good as super.
To me symphony of the night is still the best, but today we have many great metroidvanias, one game that doesn’t get enough attention is shatae and the pirates curse, that game is really fun and does metroidvanias in it’s own way.

My very first Metroidvania was Blaster Master. And then maybe Faxanadu (if it can be counted...maybe not). I didn't play the original Metroid until a number of years later.

But Jesus H Christ, I love the Metroidvania genre. It scratches my gaming itch so perfectly every time. Oh, and I do consider the first two Prime games to be Metroidvanias. Sure, it's 3D, but the underlying exploration and progression is classic Metroidvania. The third game is a little different since it's got multiple planets.

Around the Network

Yeah it’s just a great formula. Some mechanics and gameplay loops just lend themselves to better experiences and the Metroidvania formula is a great example of that.

I’ve actually been working on a top 10 Metroidvania games—which will probably be top 25 when it’s all said and done. There’s been an explosion in the sub-genre lately, with 2018 being a banner year.

my first metroidvania was fusion. it might be blasphemy but its still my favorite metroid, although i thought zero mission was pretty amazing too. the new generation of metroidvanias has been top tier though. ori and the blind forest, guacamelee 1 & 2, hollow knight, axiom verge, and even teslagrad (which is kinda linear) were all great games that i replay whenever i don't know what to do with life

Veknoid_Outcast said:
Yeah it’s just a great formula. Some mechanics and gameplay loops just lend themselves to better experiences and the Metroidvania formula is a great example of that.

I’ve actually been working on a top 10 Metroidvania games—which will probably be top 25 when it’s all said and done. There’s been an explosion in the sub-genre lately, with 2018 being a banner year.

Can't wait to see that when it's finished.  Yeah, 2018 certainly brought me quite a backlog that I'll probably never get to.  That's why I love these lists so I know which to work on first.

Hopefully Bloodstained will be one of the genre´s best games, with Iga behind it, hope he hasn´t lost his touch.

super_etecoon said:
I really like Hollow Knight, but I've been stuck on a boss and it kicked my ass so much that I put the game down. Everytime I see the game on my menu it looks to me like a homework assignment that I keep procastinating. I'm not even sure what the name of the boss is, but I know it's enormous and jumps on you and uses lightning. But up until that moment in time I was really, really enjoying the game. I'm sure I'll return to it sooner or later.

If you are stuck on Soul Master, it is possible to progress the game and finish an any% run without beating him, but it involves buying the 1800 geo lantern now (which you would have needed to do later on anyways).