By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - In defence of piracy

sethnintendo said:
Ganoncrotch said:

https://www.spellcheckonline.com/defense-vs-defence/

Ah damn differences based on location.  Keep forgetting about that.  As long as I don't have to hear a Brit pronounce aluminum then I'm fine.

You rather the A-Lum-In-um version? rather than it spoken like condominium? I'm fairly easy going on different region spellings because I move around a bit, I'm from Ireland but honestly I think the British butchering of it is lovely in ways, I mean...they invented it so I love hearing them kill it. Hearing the days of the week spoken as Mun-di and Son-Di really opens a persons eyes asto how much a language can take before it breaks.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

There's nearly no way to excuse piracy in the vast majority of the cases ...

Pricing ? Discounts happens just about every time and getting media from second hand sources is also option too ...
Appreciation ? Content creators would actually feel like it if they were getting paid for it instead of facing layoffs ...
Fighting greed ? Maybe pirates should take a look at themselves in their own mirror ...

Piracy and digital media are the reasons why most artists today can't make a fucking buck for a living ...

fatslob-:O said:

There's nearly no way to excuse piracy in the vast majority of the cases ...

Pricing ? Discounts happens just about every time and getting media from second hand sources is also option too ...
Appreciation ? Content creators would actually feel like it if they were getting paid for it instead of facing layoffs ...
Fighting greed ? Maybe pirates should take a look at themselves in their own mirror ...

Piracy and digital media are the reasons why most artists today can't make a fucking buck for a living ...

legit what % of layoffs happen because someone pirates a copy of some indie game which was gotten on GOG in comparison to Activision wanting to please shareholders so they offed I forget how many hundred of their staff, EA and Bioware can't be feeling too safe right now either with Anthem going completely tits up but again... Anthems issues are 0% related to piracy but it will likely see a lot of people looking for work in the not too distant future.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Azuren said:

I would only defend piracy as a means to play video games that cannot be purchased and played anymore in any fashion.

Examples of Regular Bad Piracy:
1. Downloading Super Mario World on your SNES emulator on PC is still a form of piracy since you can still officially purchase a digital copy on the Wii U.
2. Downloading Final Fantasy VII onto your hacked Xbox 360 is still a form of piracy since the game can be purchased and played on Switch, Vita, PS3, PS4, XB1, and PC.
3. Downloading Pokemon Blue to your phone's emulator is still a form of piracy since you can still purchase a digital copy for your 3DS or 2DS from the eShop.

Examples of Acceptable, No-Choice Piracy:
1. Downloading an EBOOT of Legend of Legaia to your hacked PSP is acceptable since you can no longer find any official sources to purchase the game.
2. Downloading an ISO for Ergheiz: God Bless the Ring for ePSXe is acceptable since you can no longer purchase it from Square Enix in any fashion.
3. Downloading Scott Pilgrim vs. The World: The Game to your hacked PS3 is acceptable since Ubisoft lost the rights and the game cannot be purchased anymore.

What if you are playing through a long rpg on your hacked psp and it is revealed that it will be getting revived as a digital download on something like the switch or a system you don't own, do you delete the iso from your psp because in the future you might be able to play it again on the other system.

You say no choice Piracy.... I have a ps3 with Scott Pilgrim on it right here, I actually have it installed on my ps3 phat and a slim, offer me enough money and I'll sell ya one of um. You don't need to pirate the game! Given the fact that I've only ever sold 2 games in 30 years of gaming, this could be tough!

Also do you imagine there is some gaming ethics version of God overseeing what you do and if you abide by the rules you made up, will you get into gaming heaven when your HDD platters stop spinning?

Edit - Ah I see your no choice piracy is to buy it from the original stores sort of thing, so buying a ps3 with Scott on it wouldn't tick that box as me giving Ubisoft money for the game doesn't please your piracy ethics when you give me money for the ps3 with the game installed on it!!

If you have a means to legally purchase it, then yes. Otherwise it's a case of shitty piracy.

I own Scott Pilgrim as well. However, if my friend were to decide he wanted to play it, he could not purchase it.

Not any more than there is any other god out there telling you not to do bad things and rewarding you with an afterlife. See, the thing is you don't need a deity to have a moral compass. It's one thing if you're not given the option to purchase the title anymore, such as with Alan Wake. It's quite another to use a Wii U emulator just to play Breath of the Wild without paying for it. But if you don't have a problem personally with being a bad person, then all you have to do is keep your VPN up so your ISP can't sell you out for piracy.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

I agree with the points made in the OP, and I guess it's hard for a lot of people to *truly* understand.

Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
The Law, Developers, Publishers, Advertisers, Retailers and the economy don't agree with you.

The developer of Minecraft back in 2011/2012 was perfectly fine with it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/01/12/minecraft-creator-notch-tells-players-to-pirate-his-game/

"Piracy is not theft," he said. "If you steal a car, the original is lost. If you copy a game, there are simply more of them in the world. There is no such thing as a 'lost sale'. Is a bad review a lost sale? What about a missed ship date?"

I mean... what would he know about economics, it's not like he is a billionaire now.... oh wait.

Personally I pirated MC on the pc originally, then bought it for the PS3/Vita, upgraded that version for the ps4 and I got the Switch version of it as well later on. Piracy showed me that game was good and the devs feelings regarding piracy made me feel happy to chuck him the price of the game a few times down the line.

Pirating games that are near impossible to play is fine. There's this one Genesis RPG that's like Zelda that's never been re-released and hard copies for the console are unreasonably priced. I don't see the harm in not paying for abandonware.

Gamecube games too. I mean, what am I gonna do, spend 200 quid on a used Path of Radiance disk with no box or play the rom on the objectively superior emulator?

Azuren said:

It's one thing if you're not given the option to purchase the title anymore, such as with Alan Wake. It's quite another to use a Wii U emulator just to play Breath of the Wild without paying for it. 

lol I did that xD

Last edited by IkePoR - on 14 May 2019

"You should be banned. Youre clearly flaming the president and even his brother who you know nothing about. Dont be such a partisan hack"

Ganoncrotch said:
TranceformerFX said:
The Law, Developers, Publishers, Advertisers, Retailers and the economy don't agree with you.

The developer of Minecraft back in 2011/2012 was perfectly fine with it

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/01/12/minecraft-creator-notch-tells-players-to-pirate-his-game/

"Piracy is not theft," he said. "If you steal a car, the original is lost. If you copy a game, there are simply more of them in the world. There is no such thing as a 'lost sale'. Is a bad review a lost sale? What about a missed ship date?"

I mean... what would he know about economics, it's not like he is a billionaire now.... oh wait.

Personally I pirated MC on the pc originally, then bought it for the PS3/Vita, upgraded that version for the ps4 and I got the Switch version of it as well later on. Piracy showed me that game was good and the devs feelings regarding piracy made me feel happy to chuck him the price of the game a few times down the line.

I don't pirate because;

A - I have a job.

B - Not having funds isn't an excuse for stealing, neither is having the inability to access said video game. That's not the company's fault - it's yours. 

C - Video games are a privilege, not a right

D - 99% of gamers don't realize that buying a video game that you enjoy helps the developers/publishers who used time & resources to make that game. People with families to feed and jobs to keep made that game. Try inventing something that costs tens of millions of dollars to create, then see how you like it when someone pirates your shit. 

And get outta here with your cherry picked example of one dude and one paragraph. Does he speak for the entire games industry? Or better yet, the entire entertainment industry that's also affected by piracy

I didn't think so...

Piracy doesn't need defending. It has its benefits no matter what people say about it and it's not like there could be any universe where piracy is not a thing.

I'll just sit back and laugh at big media companies which are actually driving piracy in their futile attempts to stop it.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I’m actually thinking about pirating Anno 1800, since the publisher makes it near impossible to actually own that game. Would be a first in decades, but there it is.