By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - In defence of piracy

0D0 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Just gonna say 0D0 that I read the first line of your 2 posts and disagree with that so much because it's not true that I figured if that's your starting point it was probably going to go down from there.

Some people feel incredibly strong on this point and I will just point out again just if anyone reads my posts and thinks I'm a fucker that never buys games, in the last 2 years since the Switch launched I have bought around 230 titles for it, math suggests that's a game purchased every 3 days so aye just putting it out there that I've no issues whatsoever with paying for games I also have zero issues in not doing that. I would just say if you do love a game a lot and think it should get more money, recommend it to your friends, there have been a lot of times where I would play some small title and end up pushing it on mates to at least try it out and have them then go on to get it for themselves.

Wait I lied! I seen the end line too... about GTAV not selling so we won't get a sixth title.

the same GTAV which has sold 110 million units and has recurrent user.... micro transactions up the wall to the point where T2 are probably richer than most countries from that game alone. Well okay champ! For the record I have that game 3x as it is fantastic and was a feat of what was possible on the ps3/60 era hardware as well as a beautiful game to get lost in on the ps4.

don't worry, i've never assumed you're a serial pirate gangsta. we're just gentlemen discussing ideas here.

Ganoncrotch said:

server not found server not found.... dear me that's gotten old fast I'm going to guess you mean your version of the thread which tracks the games but also the first party ones, I would have a horrific ratio on that since there isn't that many first party titles it would be something like 220 : 10 split in terms of 3rd to first party.

Some games I play I will say... are trash lol, I bought Phantaruk (don't quote) a while back and think I got at most 20 mins outta it, Perception imo was so bad that I felt it would insult someone who has issues with their vision as its depiction of the condition is so terrible I felt bad playing it, not just because it was a bad game but that I had funded someone for making an insult. Then there is some games I play like Jumping Joe and friends where it's a very simple 2 button game which myself and a bunch of mates played for wayyyyyy too long on my projector trying to best each others scores in it, so I do buy tons of games but finding the occasional Gem is worth it imo.

I get server not found here on vgc 10 times a day

I read over the rest of your post and I get what you mean of course if everyone downloaded a game it would be tragic for the creators of said thing, but really when you got the big games making billions upon billions that isn't anywhere near happening, they put in mountains of drm to try to stop piracy but that got broken fairly fast so what is done now is creating a game which is always somewhat online, even if it doesn't really have a need to be, there has to be a good balance found I think so that the actual customer isn't getting fucked over too much so that they think fuck it Imma just pirate that instead. One for me where I done that was SF5, picked the game up only to find that what is in the box is around 3/4's of the full game at launch, then season 2-3 roll around and the base game is a fraction of the complete title anymore with pay walls on characters, stages and costumes up the walls. that sort of thing 100% will send me to pirate bay or w/e to get a "Complete" version of the game.

I'm even put off by games having the different versions to start with, seen Guacamelee 2 was on the switch on sale for 13e coool that doesn't sound back, clicked into it.... but hey.... there's Guacamelee 2 "the full game" for just another 2-3e why not buy that? so yeah it creates a conflict for me where a product is pulling a customer between different versions of the same game and honestly most of the time when I see those I opt to not buy at all.

I dunno maybe I just find myself in a place where getting games means I don't feel I need to stick to one store or even a store if the devs want to be shitty, I have the ps4/Switch and 2 fairly decent gaming PC's in the current gen that I'm not locked into a situation where something runs shit on the Switch or where some version of a title might have always online or horrifying DRM at play, neither of my consoles are currently modded to allow playing of homebrew or pirated games but my ISP is very lax on such things here and my PCs (Ryzen 7 1700, 16GB DDR4 3000mhz, 980TI, or Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 2400mhz, 780TI) are more than capable of playing any title that I want to skip out on purchasing each individual costume for a fighter or where the game has a point in it which has options of don't play it or wave a Credit card at it, that's the point where I just wave piracy and a middle finger at the game and honestly I don't think I've felt bad once in doing so.

oooo!

Felt bad cos someone gave me the files to put Downwell on my Vita for Free! That game was amazing and costs just 2.99 so after a few runs of it I bought it on the Vita and been meaning to give them another 3 quid on the Switch. Would highly recommend that game as a great on portable time waster... really is amazing by digital devolver!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network
mZuzek said:
RolStoppable said:

You should have continued reading.

I did (later), and it was still globally in the US stuff. Talking about how the internet changed gaming and whatnot, when I was clearly referring to the state of the gaming market in Brazil and maybe other 3rd world countries. From here, I can tell you, online gaming didn't become popular until very recently. During the PS3/X360 days, everyone had the 360 because of easier piracy, and online gaming was still a very niche thing. It only started becoming bigger well into this decade with the rise of free-to-play eSports games (because spoiler, they're free), and then the market finally began to establish itself now in the PS4 days... which makes sense, because it's during the PS4 days that most PS2 kids are now adults with jobs.

I'm not saying gaming wouldn't have ever become a bigger thing here if it wasn't for piracy, no. What's happened over the last decade is a global trend and there's no denying that. But I do think it wouldn't be as popular as it is today.

Don't make Brazil data out of only your life... Plenty of people had 2 Xbox, 1 for the MP where they paid Live and had one or two games and a piracy console with hundred of games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

The "the person wouldn't buy it anyway" argument is strange, if the person is willing to pirate the material them they have interest in it, so it would be a matter of choice and priorities. Because if piracy were impossible what would he do them? Buy the thing. PS3 for several years had no piracy and people still bought it and the games.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
The "the person wouldn't buy it anyway" argument is strange, if the person is willing to pirate the material them they have interest in it, so it would be a matter of choice and priorities. Because if piracy were impossible what would he do them? Buy the thing. PS3 for several years had no piracy and people still bought it and the games.

here is one rea I could suggest for things like this, I know of a few people who have pirated a few of the Senran Kagura games to have easier access to modded versions of them for nude mods etc and jus for the sake of avoiding the embarrassment of not having those games appear on their steam librarys

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I've been on both sides and piracy sucks.

When I was young piracy was deemed normal. Music, just copy the tape. Movies, just copy the VHS. Games, meet up in special events and copy everything. So to combat that blank tapes etc increased in price... Extra tax on all writable material because it can (and usually will) be used for piracy.

Then I started working for a small software company. We didn't have any copy protection, couldn't really spend any resources on that. And at some point our stuff got pirated. At first you think, he that's cool, people like it so much they are willing to steal it. Yet then we were forced to fire people because we ran into money issues. Perhaps if some of those pirates had actually bought the software they would still have had a job.

The company recovered and grew so now we added anti piracy measures, also mandated by the other company we worked with to protect their data. It was a pain in the ass for testing and development. Previously it was a beta version that had leaked onto the web so now anti piracy measures had to be there all through development. Damn annoying when trying to find bugs as you can't simply copy everything over to another device to test as it was all encrypted with the device ID.

But the biggest piracy of all came in the form of patents. We didn't have money in the beginning for patents either, so a much bigger company tried suing our company over similarities with vague software patents, trying to get our product banned from the shelves. That cost millions of dollars in litigation plus a lot of effort to buy and build a portfolio of patents to protect our own software and use as leverage to fight of patent cases.

Then there are the Chinese copy cats you can't do anything about :/

All piracy sucks.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
DonFerrari said:

here is one rea I could suggest for things like this, I know of a few people who have pirated a few of the Senran Kagura games to have easier access to modded versions of them for nude mods etc and jus for the sake of avoiding the embarrassment of not having those games appear on their steam librarys

Hey man, not saying there aren't the odd man out that pirate 5 games and buy 2 of them later. Or any other variation.

But the most common case people wouldn't completely leave gaming realm because they can't pirate anything. They would do something like I did when I was a kid. Buy 1 or 2 games a year second hand, loan and trade a lot to try other games, also we had rentals... that didn't prevent me from gaming. Hell no, there were a lot of people that couldn't even afford a console and that generated the arcade rip-off here, where people gone to a rental place to play 1h of SNES for a buck. And there were a lot of low income people doing it.

All excuses for piracy are just excuses.