Yeah, what he said! 0 0%

Zelda captured, Link asleep? 0 0%

Then Cloud has to save Link and wake him? 1 1.04%

Only to discover that... 0 0%

the real enemy all along... 0 0%

wasn't who they thought... 0 0%

it was Quina, destroyer of worlds! 6 6.25%

Total:96

Zelda was better than Final Fantasy on the NES, Final Fantasy was better than Zelda on the SNES, and Zelda has been better from the N64 on for me.

Around the Network
Keybladewielder said:
Dulfite said:

So FF11-15 aren't worth playing in your view? I am hoping to play them all, but I want to look forward to it haha.

FF12 is amazing, it's annoying when people group it with the FF's that "suck".

You are right FFXII is a great RPG...but it isn't FF it just has the name and the production values.

SammyGiireal said:
Keybladewielder said:

You are right FFXII is a great RPG...but it isn't FF it just has the name and the production values.

*yawn*

SammyGiireal said:
Keybladewielder said:

I'm curious, what do you mean by this? That seems like a weird thing to say about a series known for constantly changing.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
SammyGiireal said:

I'm curious, what do you mean by this? That seems like a weird thing to say about a series known for constantly changing.

Play 4-10 they are very similar, same music composer, same producer, same style of play with a few differences here and there (FFV has the Job system, VIII the Junction system) different storylines but the style of play is the same though 10 did away with the world map. The series has the same spirit. Sakaguchi left (fired really) and Uematsu left. XII was the first game they were not present and you can sense right from the get go. The music resembles Star Wars more than it does FF and it plays differently it actually felt like an MMORPG. It was a great game in another site I gave the game a 9/10 at the time, but I also stated that it wasn't an FF. This is why most of us who grew up with the series in the 90s believe the series stopped at X. XII is a great game but it doesn't have the FF spirit.

Around the Network

Final Fantasy for me.

SammyGiireal said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Play 4-10 they are very similar, same music composer, same producer, same style of play with a few differences here and there (FFV has the Job system, VIII the Junction system) different storylines but the style of play is the same though 10 did away with the world map. The series has the same spirit. Sakaguchi left (fired really) and Uematsu left. XII was the first game they were not present and you can sense right from the get go. The music resembles Star Wars more than it does FF and it plays differently it actually felt like an MMORPG. It was a great game in another site I gave the game a 9/10 at the time, but I also stated that it wasn't an FF. This is why most of us who grew up with the series in the 90s believe the series stopped at X. XII is a great game but it doesn't have the FF spirit.

It kind of depends on how you define Final Fantasy.  Is it the story?  The gameplay?  The setting?  The music?  Chocobos and Cid?  Everyone defines it differently.

I don't think the story is in 12 is as good as most of it's predecessors.  In that way it might not feel like Final Fantasy, because the series always had top notch stories.  On the other hand the gameplay was fantastic.  It was a very different take on turn based RPGs and in that way it was not a deviation.  Also, the world of Ivalice is very much part of Final Fantasy, but this was the first time it appeared in the main series.  So that kind of begs the question of whether or not you consider the "tactics" games to be Final Fantasy.  I do, but I can see how someone else might not.

And at the same time I could make similar arguments about the other Final Fantasies that came before it.  FF8 had terrible gameplay but a great story.  FF10 was incredibly linear even by Final Fantasy standards.  FF6 was the first time they had a major sci-fi feel, while before it was mostly pure fantasy with a little sci-fi splashed in.  Almost every entry you can come up with a reason why it wasn't Final Fantasy.  The definition the creators have is actually pretty loose.

For me the biggest difference was the drop in quality, and that didn't come unti FF13.  The creators used to have this goal that every year a Final Fantasy game came out, it would be the best game released that year.  I felt like 12 had that quality, but I don't think 13 or any of the games that came later had that quality.  I even enjoyed all 3 of the FF13 games, but I still felt there was a drop in quality.  FF12 was the best game that came out the year it was released though, at least to me.  I felt it had the FF quality that the previous games had.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
SammyGiireal said:

It kind of depends on how you define Final Fantasy.  Is it the story?  The gameplay?  The setting?  The music?  Chocobos and Cid?  Everyone defines it differently.

I don't think the story is in 12 is as good as most of it's predecessors.  In that way it might not feel like Final Fantasy, because the series always had top notch stories.  On the other hand the gameplay was fantastic.  It was a very different take on turn based RPGs and in that way it was not a deviation.  Also, the world of Ivalice is very much part of Final Fantasy, but this was the first time it appeared in the main series.  So that kind of begs the question of whether or not you consider the "tactics" games to be Final Fantasy.  I do, but I can see how someone else might not.

And at the same time I could make similar arguments about the other Final Fantasies that came before it.  FF8 had terrible gameplay but a great story.  FF10 was incredibly linear even by Final Fantasy standards.  FF6 was the first time they had a major sci-fi feel, while before it was mostly pure fantasy with a little sci-fi splashed in.  Almost every entry you can come up with a reason why it wasn't Final Fantasy.  The definition the creators have is actually pretty loose.

For me the biggest difference was the drop in quality, and that didn't come unti FF13.  The creators used to have this goal that every year a Final Fantasy game came out, it would be the best game released that year.  I felt like 12 had that quality, but I don't think 13 or any of the games that came later had that quality.  I even enjoyed all 3 of the FF13 games, but I still felt there was a drop in quality.  FF12 was the best game that came out the year it was released though, at least to me.  I felt it had the FF quality that the previous games had.

We will agree on XIII being terrible. Disagree on VIII having a great Story and on XII being in line with the previous 10 Final Fantasies. FFXII felt a like a completely different RPG from the previous 10 starting with the music. Uematsu was part of the soul of the series. And the development team was different  in that game...it is I will agree ten times the game that FFXIII is. X was linear as I said they did away with the overworld, but it gave us a really good love story, a polished FF battle system and great music. The battle system in XII was also a huge departure of what we had seen in the previous 10 entries too. XII was a great game, that had it not been names FF no one would have associated the game with Final Fantasy, Tactics not withstanding, which was also a great game but not a main FF in style and substance. In the end a single fact remains FF1-FF10 Sakaguchi was at the helm, then he left and the series changed. For those of us who grew up with it...it was a jarring change. 

SammyGiireal said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

We will agree on XIII being terrible. Disagree on VIII having a great Story and on XII being in line with the previous 10 Final Fantasies. FFXII felt a like a completely different RPG from the previous 10 starting with the music. Uematsu was part of the soul of the series. And the development team was different  in that game...it is I will agree ten times the game that FFXIII is. X was linear as I said they did away with the overworld, but it gave us a really good love story, a polished FF battle system and great music. The battle system in XII was also a huge departure of what we had seen in the previous 10 entries too. XII was a great game, that had it not been names FF no one would have associated the game with Final Fantasy, Tactics not withstanding, which was also a great game but not a main FF in style and substance. In the end a single fact remains FF1-FF10 Sakaguchi was at the helm, then he left and the series changed. For those of us who grew up with it...it was a jarring change. 

Yeah, I can see where you are coming from.  In the end it is the Sakaguchi/Uematsu that you associate with Final Fantasy.  I can understand that, because I am really missing that from Final Fantasy nowadays.  I really love the Tactics games though, so I consider Matsuno of the same calibur director as Sakaguchi.  For a person who was not as much of a fan, then FFXII can seem different from the first 10.

Dulfite said:
TruckOSaurus said:
There was a time where this would have been really close for me. Then Final Fantasy XIII happened shooting FF in the foot. Then Breath of the Wild happened which raised Zelda's standing tremendously and now it's not even a contest.

While I love BoTW, the story of the game was weak for someone like me. I'm looking forward to the stories of the FF games :)

The story like FFXIII or XV?