Forums - Sony Discussion - Digital Foundry believes they may have found PS5's chipset

fatslob-:O said:
EricHiggin said:

Well unless EUV has stellar yields by then I can't see PS5 using it. 7nm DUV yields should be at the point that consoles have no worries in terms of available capacity and price by 2020. Third gen Ryzen and Navi should be coming off the line near flawless by then on 7nm DUV so it makes a lot of sense for PS5 to just continue from there.

It's coming in use this year with the new mobile SoCs. 7nm EUV will be a significant improvement in costs because it's using the most advanced scanners to achieve shorter wavelengths to be able to create higher resolution features of the chip without resorting to multiple patterning. Won't have to deal with quadruple patterning anymore like with 7nm DUV or double patterning with 16/14nm ... 

Just being able to do double patterning for 7nm will massively reduce the amount of masks used into making these chips ... 

If EUV is ready for prime time then sure, AMD could potentially use that process for PS5. I'm not saying there wouldn't be benefits, but it would need to be ready for console launch level production and pricing by mid next year, and it just seems less likely for that to be the case. If it does work out, then that's great.



Around the Network
Pemalite said:

 

Bofferbrauer2 said:
I posted that chip before, as Gonzalo was rumored to be the Chip for the next gen consoles.

However, if the 95W TDP is correct, this won't be it, that's just gonna be a higher-end APU (all Ryzen APU to date were 65W or less).

With 95W, even in 7nm, that wouldn't be enough to even compete with the PS4 Pro. This chip could reach 2.5-3TFlops, far below even the 4.2TFlops of the PS4 Pro

You can get 4x Zen cores @ 3.3Ghz, 11 CU's for only 35w TDP in the Ryzen 2800H @14nm.

Yeah, but I very much doubt it can hold it's turbo speeds for long, especially when both CPU and GPU are working hard. The GPU in that chip has a higher turbo than the 2400G despite the latter having about twice the TDP budget. At full GPU clock speed, it reaches a theorethical maximum of 1.8TFlops, which is what I based the 2.5-3TFlops on btw.



Well, if this info is true, I think they'll go with 56 CUs, like Stadia. Again, if this is the PS5 chip, that would mean ~13 Tflops. It'll be interesting to see what MS has planned for Anaconda, cause I'm not sure I see them going higher than 11-12 Tflops, which I think some rumors have stated ~12 is what they were aiming for.

I think it's fascinating that many didn't believe that pastebin leak, including myself, but so far everything that has been confirmed has backed it up.



Do people still honestly think it was going to be some beast of a machine? Some of us, and more so than me knew the tech limitations to begin with.



Random_Matt said:
Do people still honestly think it was going to be some beast of a machine? Some of us, and more so than me knew the tech limitations to begin with.

Even if in 10 teraflop the number it self  is a beast , and top of that it will be a base system, means all games will be build based on 10 teraflop. And also it's more than possible to have 12 to 13 teraflop and zen 3 and GDDR 6 . 4k 60fps ultra  are  piece of cake. 



Around the Network
EricHiggin said:

If EUV is ready for prime time then sure, AMD could potentially use that process for PS5. I'm not saying there wouldn't be benefits, but it would need to be ready for console launch level production and pricing by mid next year, and it just seems less likely for that to be the case. If it does work out, then that's great.

TSMC has already started on mass production (the last step before commercial launch of products) of 7nm EUV nearly a month ago so you can more than guarantee that it'll be ready by LATE 2020 ... 

We're talking about a logic node that's likely going to be more than a year old by the time the new systems will do a hard launch ... 



https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk#Xli5Vxu

So far everything in this leak has proven to be 100% accurate, an insider at resetera confirmed that both next-gen xboxes will have 1TB Nvme drive. Now Eurogamer said this 2 quotes recently giving the leak further legitimacy:

"Combine this with the leak that Microsoft is working on an entry-level four teraflop console alongside a 12TF monster (the figures may change but the strategy is accurate, according to our sources)"

"We had heard a while back that PlayStation 5 was developed around a state-of-the-art solid-state storage solution (1TB of capacity was the rumour)"

And based on this leaked Codename about 1,8ghz Navi 10 gpu, I remember last year the chinese site chiphell leaked that Navi 10 would only have 40CU, this site has leaked a lot of correct info before, but I can't find the linked to this to double check. But if accurate we can assume Sony will disable 4CU for improved yields and 36CU clocked at 1,8ghz gives 8,3TF which is a perfect fit for the leak I posted. And this site someone posted on this thread says basically the exact same thing:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/radeon_navi_gpu_specifications_leak/1

So maybe PS5 will have an 8core Zen2 clocked at 3,2 ghz, Navi gpu with 36CU clocked at 1,8ghz giving 8,3TF, 12GB gddr6 Vram and 1TB SSD.

And don't bother with the youtubers adoredtv and redgamingtech, I have been follwing those rumors since last year, I'm certain they are false but you u never know I guess.

Sources to Eurogamer quotes:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sony-next-gen-playstation-5-spec-analysis

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory



6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Don't understand much of this tech mumbo jumbo but I still find the discussion interesting.



fatslob-:O said:
EricHiggin said:

If EUV is ready for prime time then sure, AMD could potentially use that process for PS5. I'm not saying there wouldn't be benefits, but it would need to be ready for console launch level production and pricing by mid next year, and it just seems less likely for that to be the case. If it does work out, then that's great.

TSMC has already started on mass production (the last step before commercial launch of products) of 7nm EUV nearly a month ago so you can more than guarantee that it'll be ready by LATE 2020 ... 

We're talking about a logic node that's likely going to be more than a year old by the time the new systems will do a hard launch ... 

7nm DUV was in risk production back in 2017, has been "active" (mass?) since April 2018, and should finally hit full production in third quarter of 2019. I watched a video today on YouTube that stated Ryzen chips apparently are seeing 70% yields right now on the 7nm DUV process. Based on this, you would have to be extremely optimistic to assume 7nm EUV will be at an acceptable yield for the PS5 by next year. That's also if we're talking just the PS5. For all we know both new XB's plus PS5 could be launching in 2020.

Again, that's not to say it's impossible, but if 7nm DUV is ahead and only at 70% after this long, then it should be right where consoles need it by next year. It would seem more likely the consoles could maybe use EUV if they held off until 2021. If they do use EUV, I'd be quite surprised.

https://www.techpowerup.com/252503/tsmc-7nm-euv-process-to-enter-mass-production-in-march-2019

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/tsmc-7nm-chip-orders-increase-amd,38982.html



Trumpstyle said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/i3TnTKk#Xli5Vxu

So far everything in this leak has proven to be 100% accurate, an insider at resetera confirmed that both next-gen xboxes will have 1TB Nvme drive. Now Eurogamer said this 2 quotes recently giving the leak further legitimacy:

"Combine this with the leak that Microsoft is working on an entry-level four teraflop console alongside a 12TF monster (the figures may change but the strategy is accurate, according to our sources)"

"We had heard a while back that PlayStation 5 was developed around a state-of-the-art solid-state storage solution (1TB of capacity was the rumour)"

And based on this leaked Codename about 1,8ghz Navi 10 gpu, I remember last year the chinese site chiphell leaked that Navi 10 would only have 40CU, this site has leaked a lot of correct info before, but I can't find the linked to this to double check. But if accurate we can assume Sony will disable 4CU for improved yields and 36CU clocked at 1,8ghz gives 8,3TF which is a perfect fit for the leak I posted. And this site someone posted on this thread says basically the exact same thing:

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/gpu_displays/radeon_navi_gpu_specifications_leak/1

So maybe PS5 will have an 8core Zen2 clocked at 3,2 ghz, Navi gpu with 36CU clocked at 1,8ghz giving 8,3TF, 12GB gddr6 Vram and 1TB SSD.

And don't bother with the youtubers adoredtv and redgamingtech, I have been follwing those rumors since last year, I'm certain they are false but you u never know I guess.

Sources to Eurogamer quotes:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-sony-next-gen-playstation-5-spec-analysis

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2019-is-amd-gonzalo-the-ps5-processor-in-theory

There's no way Sony is going to allow that kind of discrepancy in power. Just 2 tflops, even if with those tflops you can do more than in Polaris, above Xbox One X would be PR suicide. Especially when the competition is doubling that number. No, I'm pretty sure the two top tier consoles are only going to be 1-1.5 tflops away from each other.