By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Australian Politics Thread - LNP government returned. McDonalds pants-shitter returned as PM.

How are you feeling about the next three years for Australia?

Pessimistic 1 14.29%

Optimistic 1 14.29%

Ecstatic 2 28.57%

In a constant state of disbelief 3 42.86%

Total:7

On May 18th, Australia will head to the polls to decide on its next government, possibly bringing in our sixth prime minister in the last decade. 

Major Parties:

Labor (centre-left)

Policies

Liberal-National coalition (right)

Policies (Libs)
Policies (Nats)

Greens (left)

Policies

One Nation (far right)

Policies

Centre Alliance (centre)

Policies

Katter's Australian Party (right)

Policies

Opinion polls were showing a likely win for Labor, with every poll for the past year showing them winning ~52-48; they were wrong however, and the LNP has been re-elected with an increased majority.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-05-20/election-coalition-get-77-seats-wentworth-boothby-bass-chisholm/11128652?section=politics

Last edited by RingoGaSuki - on 21 May 2019

Around the Network

Australia has compulsory voting (around 91.5% turnout last election; the lowest in history)

Australia also has preferential voting, a good explanation of which is given in this:

I shall start this thread off the right way.

Pauline Hanson. What a twat.

I do like me some fish and chips though.

Nice comic to explain the Australian voting system. They should do that in the US, too (or just abolish winner takes all) imo.

I like that voting system.

So how do I vote for the queen to reinstate monarchy?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network

I've turned 18 and this will be my first time voting, and honestly, I really don't want too. The government is shit, these "parties" are shit, politicians are shit, and the voting is shit. I'm going to end up drawing dicks all over the voting slips and telling them to fuck off. I hate this voting thing so much. 

If you require alcohol to have fun, then you have a problem

i will vote for whoever is first on the paper

LittleSnake said:

I've turned 18 and this will be my first time voting, and honestly, I really don't want too. The government is shit, these "parties" are shit, politicians are shit, and the voting is shit. I'm going to end up drawing dicks all over the voting slips and telling them to fuck off. I hate this voting thing so much. 

Not all of them are shit (I can see why you'd think the government and the major parties are), there are plenty of good minor parties not covered in the OP. Spend a couple of minutes searching policies and just vote for what's closest to what you think.

Cobretti2 said:
i will vote for whoever is first on the paper

Please, just take a few moments to look and judge on policy. Every vote counts and yours should go to someone you actually support

It only has the four biggest parties (Labor, Coalition, Greens, One Nation), but the Vote Compass is great for working out where you sit (and explains policies)

I have never registered to vote ever. You only get fined if you are registered to vote and forget to vote.