By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - GoT season 8 final episode 6 tonight. (spoiler discussion) Fin. The end... for ever. D&D can burn in the seven hells.

I'm...

Hyped. 24 55.81%

Mildly interested. 11 25.58%

Not bothered. 5 11.63%

/indifferent/not watched/other in comments. 3 6.98%

Total:43

I think this season is very stupid, this episode just shows it all

I saw Danaerys going mad a long time ago, but this is like when we knew anakin was going to be vader and he turns from an angry bratty kid into a mass murderer in 2 scenes

Around the Network
NightlyPoe said:

Luke bested Rey in their fight without even drawing on the Force.  The end of that scene where Luke was knocked back only proved that a lightsaber is a better weapon than a stick.  So that's an example of internet silliness.

And, Rey did exactly the same thing Luke did in RotJ.  He ignored Yoda and Ben's advise and trusted he could turn Vader.  Luke was right.  Rey was wrong.  Ben was not ready to be turned.  She FAILED.  Again, this is an example of internet weirdness.  Rey was actually fairly ineffective in TLJ, particularly in comparison to TFA where the critique is a lot more valid.  If you've got issues with her character being overpowered, talk to Abrams.

Yes, Johnson got it.  Much more than the internet bandwagoners I'm afraid, where they've apparently decided that "subverting expectations" and repeating it at every opportunity makes it a dirty word instead of a fairly common storytelling technique.

This is the last answer I will give to you here because it is offtopic. If you want to continue the conversation wall me.

Yoda said let her go because she had everything she needs and it was ok for her to go with no training. But I guess that she indeed had everything she needed when she has to face such lousy, mediocre, and poorly written villains in the new trilogy.

"Yes, yes, yes. Wisdom they (Jedi texts) held but that library contained nothing that the girl Rey does not already possess." Bimbo Yoda from TLJ and so the death of the Star Wars pillar of the Padawan-Jedi Master relationship was brought to you courtesy of Rain Johnson.

Rey was shown to be powerful since TFA and Rain Johnson absolutely failed to explain and justify why.

Rian Johnson apologetics strike again.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Looks like they took away the Godmode token from Euron and gave it to Dany.

The episode was decent up until where Euron started fighting Jaime or Dany started torching the civilians (I don't remember what happened first). It's interesting how the scorpions can go from insane killer machines that defy both logic and physics to useless junk so fast but in this episode they performed more in line of what would be expected, though I feel like they should have shown the ships firing off more projectiles as we only saw a handful of shots during the whole fight between Dany and the Iron fleet, and there were many more ships present here than in the last episode. So no objections for me when it comes to the naval battle but I really wonder what went on in the writers minds when they had a small fleet be ridiculously overpowered in one episode and in the next have that fleet with reinforcements be completely useless.

The battle of the actual city is quite alright. Seeing the golden company go up in flames was quite pleasing and I liked that scene where Jon and Davos meet up with the city guard and they nervously stare at each for a bit, though I feel like it would have made sense for at least Davos to order the guards to surrender their swords. So the city is captured, everything is fine and then...ugh.

I get that the writers really want Dany to turn mad but it was made in such a dumb way. Dany goes from only attacking military targets to killing everything in sight, while the Red keep is still unharmed. If Dany had turned on the Red keep and Cersei and then started attacking civilians it could've worked. The city has fallen, Cersei is defeated but it wasn't enough to quench Dany's thirst for blood so she turns on the civilians, that I could buy. But going on a rampage against the city while Cersei is still breathing, that's just dumb. Dany's actions in addition to the way the attackers join in on the slaughter and start hacking against the city guard felt really forced and poorly written.

The rest of the episode drags on for way too long and is not particularly interesting. Euron picking a fight with Jaime felt random as I'd imagine Euron rather fleeing the field than dying a stupid death. Wow, you could killed the Kingslayer, now that he lacks a hand and is well past his prime! Well done, Euron! It reminded me of when Jesse James is killed by getting shot in the back in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford".

I did like how Sandor succesfully persuades Arya to make her escape, even if it's somewhat anti-climatic, and Sandor finally facing his brother. But both the fight between the Clegane brothers and Arya running through the streets went on for too long.

Lastly, it felt silly to me how Drogon can keep fighting for so long, and be that devastating. It's possible that dragonfire can topple huge towers but I couldn't help but think it was a bit on the silly side. When they were waiting for the city bell to ring I was quite sure that Drogon's stamina meter was depleted but apparently he had just begun. I don't know, dragons are supposed to be powerful beings but surely they have to run out of fuel at some point!?

Last edited by forest-spirit - on 13 May 2019

I can understand some of the criticism regarding episode 5 but I personally loved it. Everything clicked for me. I liked the conclusions to every character who died and specially Cersei which is my favorite character in the show. For years I've been thinking that I knew she was going to lose but at least I wanted her to die alongside Jaime. I'm so glad that happened. For a minute I thought Arya was legitimately going to kill Cersei which I would've despised since she already killed the Night King which she shouldn't have, in my opinion.

P.S.: I know I'm most likely alone in liking Cersei and you probably wanted her to die more painfully. I completely respect that but that's just not the way I feel.

haxxiy said:
shikamaru317 said:

Sounds like a decision by the showrunners then, to portray Daenerys increasingly darker throughout the series, while they chose to portray Jon Snow as the good guy choice to rule in the end. I can see why that would make fans of the books angry, but I've never read the books, so all I have to go on is the show. And speaking solely from a show watchers perspective, I have definitely favored Jon since the start of the show, because with the exception of the hanging of the people that stabbed him to death, he was always shown to be merciful, the good guy of the series just like his uncle Ned Stark. Dany always seemed to have a hint of her fathers madness lying just beneath the surface, to me at least. You can see it in both her mannerisms and in her decisions. It was abundantly obvious to me, as someone who binge-watched the entire show for the first time over the last month. 

By GRRM's own admission, he started to tell the showrunners future plot points of the series, not covered by the books, around 2013 - 2014, after at least three or four TV seasons or so were filmed. Now, we don't know whether that early talk includes the ending or that was revealed in later conversations. But it already rules out the suggestion there's something more sinister hidden on her mannerisms and decisions in earlier seasons.

Not to mention we now know all the health issues Emilia Clarke was facing as she filmed the TV show, so all this talk about strange twiches etc. on her character just get a much more sad and mean connotation.

Edit: GRRM might have some portion of blame. He's a "gardener" who tries to evolve his characters and plots organically. It takes a lot of time to do but doesn't incur the risk of making characters seem automatons guiding the plot to a certain conclusion. But as the show caught up with his books, he might have found himself having to share future plot points he conceived years or decades ago, before his own storytelling pulled him on another direction. Now it remains to be seen how he'll write those books, since I don't think he has the luxury of scraping plot points that won't work, now that they're effectively pinned by the TV show. I mean, he has, but likely wouldn't do it.

I've been following the show from before the original casting and I'm sure I remember that he revealed the overall ending pretty early on to D&D. I don't think the show would have been greenlit unless they knew the final end-goal.

How he planned to get there is pretty organic as you said so whilst he had some plot points in his mind which were revealed to D&D later on, the TV show was forced to deviate quite significantly from the books. If they'd stayed true to the books the cast would have nearly doubled.

Around the Network

So the leaks for the episode were 100% real..., so i already know how the series is going to finish....

The episode itself was fine, good visuals with some epic scenes and very good acting. Dragons, dothraakis and unsullied became OP again and we had drama and tension. But character development has been rushed badly and this episode prove all my fears happening being right. People saying Daenerys doing this was foretold from the beginning...., well, she never killed innocent people massively like this in cold fashion. If she just went to the Red Keep to destroy Cersei and doing so killed innocent people collaterarlly would've made more sense. Daenerys killing everyone on the road of that was just narratively stupid. Daenerys transistion to tyrant needed way more episodes to feel correct. She just fighted for the north and every person alive on Westeros just 2 episode ago !!

I understand people liking this episode and people don't liking it. In my case, i don't care anymore since ep 3. But, hey, if people find this episode controversial, just wait for the last one....lol.

Edit: By the way. Cersei's character was the only character i felt was genuine to the series and books in this episode. She always thought of herself as being more intelligent than she was but in reality she only was arrogant and ruthless. Seeing her crying because her stupid plan to fight Daenerys misfired badly and then crying for her death with Jaime was 100% faithful to her character.

Last edited by colafitte - on 13 May 2019

Finally a very good episode in the season.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

colafitte said:

So the leaks for the episode were 100% real..., so i already know how the series is going to finish....

The episode itself was fine, good visuals with some epic scenes and very good acting. Dragons, dothraakis and unsullied became OP again and we had drama and tension. But character development has been rushed badly and this episode prove all my fears happening being right. People saying Daenerys doing this was foretold from the beginning...., well, she never killed innocent people massively like this in cold fashion. If she just went to the Red Keep to destroy Cersei and doing so killed innocent people collaterarlly would've made more sense. Daenerys killing everyone on the road of that was just narratively stupid. Daenerys transistion to tyrant needed way more episodes to feel correct. She just fighted for the north and every person alive on Westeros just 2 episode ago !!

I understand people liking this episode and people don't liking it. In my case, i don't care anymore since ep 3. But, hey, if people find this episode controversial, just wait for the last one....lol.

Do you think we'll have a new "record" in critical reception after a, uh, certain scene?

Edit - Either way... man I did feel bad watching Euron, such a compelling villain in the books, reduced to "anime memelord fingerbum" and going out against braindamaged, crippled Jaime. Honestly, that was just as bad as "bells" for me.

Last edited by haxxiy - on 13 May 2019

haxxiy said:
colafitte said:

Do you think we'll have a new "record" in critical reception after a certain, uh, scene?

It's going to be spectacular seeing how people people react indeed .

Just watched it... Impressive visually, but the rest of the episode doesn't make a lot of sense, with zero consistency compared to the rest of the season (especially episode 4).

Between the breath making rocks explode, the huge flags repeated again and again about the bells, and Dany getting angry all alone on her dragon for absolutely nothing (that scene was really laughable), it was pretty ridiculous. And way too much on the "Let's make good guys become crazy and kill civilians for 30 minutes to make the viewer hate them". It's just overkill, nothing good in that (well, at least it's easer to write that than dialogues...).

Too bad, because the cinematography and the music are top notch. Obviously, no hope for the last episode.... Can't wait for the next book to make all of this disappear.