By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - GoT season 8 final episode 6 tonight. (spoiler discussion) Fin. The end... for ever. D&D can burn in the seven hells.

I'm...

Hyped. 24 55.81%

Mildly interested. 11 25.58%

Not bothered. 5 11.63%

/indifferent/not watched/other in comments. 3 6.98%

Total:43

https://youtu.be/0lTczPEG8iI?t=652

This fucking guy lmao

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

Damn, now I understand how Euron can look so smug all the time. Those ships of his are so powerful they would rival 18th century ship-of-the-lines. I mean, not only do they have teleportation and stealth technology but are also equipped with some high-tech long range rapid fire ballistas that do more damage than cannonballs. Must have had some of those "fuck you physics"-runes applied to them. Of course, it also helped that Dany's ships were made of cardboard.

But seriously, how the heck did Dany not spot that fleet? She's travelling to Dragonstone, which is pretty darn close to King's Landing so you'd think she would be at least somewhat cautious.

And then there's Bronn also doing some of that teleportation, Jon giving Ghost the middle-finger (why!?), etc. Sigh. How did we go from the brilliance of the first seasons to...whatever this is? What happened!?

Edit:

And what the heck happened with Bran and the Three-eyed raven and all that? Was the entire point of his adventure to learn about Jon's real name? Because outside of some creepy staring and muttering that's the only thing he has accomplished since his return.

Last edited by forest-spirit - on 06 May 2019

NightlyPoe said:
Shaunodon said:

Well you must not have been paying attention to the last episode, because they made it pretty clear she's lost all objectivity on being good or evil. Her view now is that whatever it takes to get on the Iron Throne is justified, as it's her right:

"Do you believe we're here for a reason, Lord Varys? I'm here to free the world from tyrants. That is my destiny, and I will serve it no matter the cost." -Daenerys

"I served tyrants most of my life. They all talk about destiny." -Varys

And who said they'd be giving her an easy way out? She may avoid having to massacre thousands of innocents, but the sooner she gets to the throne the sooner she just becomes the next despot/Cersei, paranoid someone better suited (Jon) for the role is about to take it from her, as they've already shown the beginnings of.

Again, please go back and read my previous posts.  The evidence that Daenerys is losing control is very slim.  One line does not make her evil.  Again I'll go down the line of things she's done this season that point to her being in control of her faculties:

1. Pardons Jaime
  2. Tries to play nice with Sansa
  3. Agrees to a siege/blockade plan as their primary strategy
  4. Breaks off from her suicide charge at Euron and is forced to do nothing as her ships are attacked
  5. Literally begs Jon not to tell Sansa about them because she knew what would happen
  6. The first thing she does with Jon when they're alone for the first time since the revelation is ask if they can continue their relationship
  7. Realizes that Tyrion's blind spot for Cersei remains, but humors him
  8. Rewards the son of Robert
  9. King's Landing is still standing when Jon arrives a fortnight later
  10. Is fairly tactful and restrained in her dealings with the northerners who distrust her despite being used to being practically worshiped.

You have one line where she basically says she's going to destroy a tyrant one way or another.  I have a long list of Daenerys acting like the exact opposite of a madwoman on the verge of becoming the next Cersei.

Maybe I'm wrong and she'll be super evil next episode.  But if she is, then that's REALLY bad writing because the only setup for it isn't Dany's actions, but Varys's musings.  And if there's one thing that should be easy to write, it's a character that's starting to lose control of her temper.

You're seeing what you want to see. If everything I've already explained in this thread hasn't made it clear to you, I can't help you.
For someone to have actually watched that last episode and still believe Daenerys has control of her faculties, is pretty mind-blowing to me I must say. I mean the scenes were as well choreographed, and the acting was as well played out as I've seen, to really make it clear to the viewer what she's going through, and people still refuse to believe. I just can't help you.

If you really loved her character so much, you'd try and appreciate the complex changes she's going through and how well they're showing it, rather than complaining that she doesn't fit your ideal.

forest-spirit said:

Damn, now I understand how Euron can look so smug all the time. Those ships of his are so powerful they would rival 18th century ship-of-the-lines. I mean, not only do they have teleportation and stealth technology but are also equipped with some high-tech long range rapid fire ballistas that do more damage than cannonballs. Must have had some of those "fuck you physics"-runes applied to them. Of course, it also helped that Dany's ships were made of cardboard.

But seriously, how the heck did Dany not spot that fleet? She's travelling to Dragonstone, which is pretty darn close to King's Landing so you'd think she would be at least somewhat cautious.

And then there's Bronn also doing some of that teleportation, Jon giving Ghost the middle-finger (why!?), etc. Sigh. How did we go from the brilliance of the first seasons to...whatever this is? What happened!?

Edit:

And what the heck happened with Bran and the Three-eyed raven and all that? Was the entire point of his adventure to learn about Jon's real name? Because outside of some creepy staring and muttering that's the only thing he has accomplished since his return.

Just my speculation, but the scene with Jon talking to Tormund and leaving behind Ghost in a cold manner seemed important and symbolic.
Now that his secret is out in the open, and now that his character is entering it's final stage, he can no longer be 'The White Wolf' (nickname for him being a Stark bastard). Even though in his heart he'll always be a Stark, he's going to be thrust into the role (assuming he survives) of Aegon VI Targaryen, so at least in name and appearance he'll have to be a Targaryen.

He even makes it clear to Tormund that he'd rather be going North with him, and he'd rather stay as The White Wolf in the North with his family, but he's always being pushed to fulfill his duty as people need of him, even if it goes against everything he wants.

NightlyPoe said:
Shaunodon said:

You're seeing what you want to see. If everything I've already explained in this thread hasn't made it clear to you, I can't help you.

Everything you've explained is literally a single quote that was hardly dispositive.  Meanwhile, the whole of her character's behavior in recent episodes point in another direction.

That's not complex changes.  If that's where they're going, they did a terrible job.

And, no, it's not because I love Daenerys.  I'm simply watching the show, seeing the inconsistency in this theory that Daenerys is out of control when matched with her state of mind throughout the season.  I'm noticing that they half-quoted Varys's loyalty oath where he swore not to go behind her back like he did the other kings.  I'm noting Jorah's last bit of advise to Dany was to trust Tyrion after his recent failures, who wants to believe in his queen.  This feels like the final storyline for Varys and Tyrion, not for Daenerys.

Could I be wrong?  Sure.  It's very possible the writers are simply booting this storyline.

Exactly, "wants to believe..", though you clearly see he knows in his heart she's gone, and the more he tries to deny it the more wine he drinks. He's lost his edge ever since he started serving her, and there's strong indication that he may be in love with her too, which is why he doesn't want to give up on her. But the writing is on the wall. They've thrown every possible hint they can that she's going off the edge, and I can't help it if they've all gone right over your head.

Around the Network

I can't believe this actually happened. I have zero hype for Sunday's GoT episode. I have never felt like this for an upcoming episode of GoT, not even with the problems I had with The Long Night, up until that last episode I've always been eager to see a new episode, that is completely gone now.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Shaunodon said:

Well you must not have been paying attention to the last episode, because they made it pretty clear she's lost all objectivity on being good or evil. Her view now is that whatever it takes to get on the Iron Throne is justified, as it's her right:

"Do you believe we're here for a reason, Lord Varys? I'm here to free the world from tyrants. That is my destiny, and I will serve it no matter the cost." -Daenerys

"I served tyrants most of my life. They all talk about destiny." -Varys

And who said they'd be giving her an easy way out? She may avoid having to massacre thousands of innocents, but the sooner she gets to the throne the sooner she just becomes the next despot/Cersei, paranoid someone better suited (Jon) for the role is about to take it from her, as they've already shown the beginnings of.

Varys enabled Aerys, Robert and Joffrey for years. In the book, he's a Targ loyalist. Here, he claims to serve the best for the realm. If you believe Dany's judgement about what's best is misconceived, then at least admit Varys is suffering from the same delusions of grandeur.

Also, people already know more or less for a fact your speculation about what Jaime and Jon are destined/going to do is wrong, so don't even try to see any symbolism or foreshadowing in Ghost, the Cersei prophecy etc.

This season is getting worse by the episode kkkk.

Daenerys will just make dumb decision after dumb decision.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Marth said:
Apperantly spoilers are already out for the finale.

The creator of this thread supposedly blurted out a major one, without even a spoiler tag. Guess that's the level of pettiness this thread has stooped to.

Forgive me if I just want to watch the series normally and try to have fun predicting things while I can. Seeing as people already want to discuss events of the series based on their knowledge of supposed leaks, there's no real point checking this thread anymore.

NightlyPoe said:
Shaunodon said:

Exactly, "wants to believe..", though you clearly see he knows in his heart she's gone, and the more he tries to deny it the more wine he drinks. He's lost his edge ever since he started serving her, and there's strong indication that he may be in love with her too, which is why he doesn't want to give up on her. But the writing is on the wall. They've thrown every possible hint they can that she's going off the edge, and I can't help it if they've all gone right over your head.

You ever stop to think that it might be because Varys is the friend who saved his life and the closest person to whom he can relate to best in the world and Daenerys is his queen and he's being forced to choose between them?  If you actually watch the scene, Tyrion knows that beyond Varys's dressing his intentions up as nobility, they're discussing regicide.  Tyrion then asks Varys not to do it.  There's actually a moment of fear their within Varys.  He realizes at that point that he's committed himself to deposing Dany and Tyrion is not on board.

Seriously, are you going to expand your point out beyond that one line and pretend that they've developed more than that?  Yes, I know they tossed out the possibility.  There's a whole conversation between Tyrion and Varys about it.  There was nothing subtle about the notion.

What I'm saying is that it doesn't match the way they've characterized her this season.  That tells me that either they're incompetent and wrote her wrong, or there's a swerve coming similar to how they feinted the conflict between Arya and Sansa last season to ensnare Littlefinger.

You seem to be ignoring how eager Dany was to just kill all of the innocents in King's Landing again. If we aren't supposed to believe that she is slipping, the writers should have at least written it as a difficult moral choice. They didn't. They did not depict Dany struggling to make these difficult decisions, they depicted those around her temporarily reigning her in from doing the things that she wants to do (ie Kill the Innocents).

The way she is behaving has demonstrated that she no longer cares about her moral high ground. Luckily she has people around her who are able to reign her in so she has yet to act on these impulses, but someone else's moral platform is not a substitute for your own.