By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Predictions/Bets - Will the new Switches switch?

Will they be capable of both TV and HH mode?

No, hybrids are a gimmick... 1 5.00%

Yes, clues in the name re... 19 95.00%

Total:20
VAMatt said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:
I do expect a smaller handheld Switch later on... which can be Switched into a Smartphone. Imagine the sales a Switch phone could get with just their eShop games and a couple of productivity apps.

It won't sell unless it's an Android device, and then it would be competing with tons of other devices.  I don't see this happening.

Why wouldn't it sell without android?

Android alternatives struggled because there was almost no software for them, but a Switch phone would have the entire eShop for itself right off the bat. The only thing that's missing right now are productivity apps, get those and I don't see why a Switch phone couldn't sell.

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:
VAMatt said:

It won't sell unless it's an Android device, and then it would be competing with tons of other devices.  I don't see this happening.

Android alternatives struggled because there was almost no software for them, but a Switch phone would have the entire eShop for itself right off the bat. The only thing that's missing right now are productivity apps, get those and I don't see why a Switch phone couldn't sell.

Get thousands, or at least hundreds of productivity apps?  Good luck!

And still, there's a whole lot of apps outside of the productivity or gaming classifications that people want these days.

Mar1217 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

yes an adroid phone. You really wanna see your CPU melt and overheat while playing Botw/Odyssey/Xeno2, don't you ? (Not even mentionning the battery wouldn't probably last much more than 1 hour :P)

An X2 clocked down to match the power of the X1 in the Switch in handheld mode would certainly not overheat a Smartphone. It would actually be on par with a higher Snapdragon (800 series) on power consumption and heat development.

And about the battery: You are aware that most Smartphone nowadays have a battery that's close to as big as the one in the Switch, yes? Most Smartphones have 3000 to 4000 mAh of battery, the Switch has 4310 mAh. Even with a stock Switch X1 chip you would only loose about half an hour of battery life with a similar screen (as the screens are actually normally the main power consumer, not the chip. Or why do you think you can save so much battery life by reducing luminosity?)

VAMatt said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Get thousands, or at least hundreds of productivity apps?  Good luck!

And still, there's a whole lot of apps outside of the productivity or gaming classifications that people want these days.

No need for so many, just get a couple for everything at the start and keep the doors open for the others to port their software over time.

With productivity I meant everything that ain't gaming. Yes facebook is hardly productivity but for sake of the argument I put it in there since it ain't a game.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 08 April 2019

Exactly what Melbye said.

Insert Coin. Press START. You Died. Continue?

melbye said:
A handheld only or a docked version only seems to go against the whole concept of the device

Not really, the concept is having the ability to play in the way that best fits your needs.

An all-in-one hybrid form factor demonstrates that concept the best so launching that version first makes the most sense.

Now that the concept is firmly established they can begin to release various form factors that cater to specific playstyles.

$299 hybrid

$199 handheld

$199 microconsole

I think having these 3 skus is what we will eventually see.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Switch mini, psvita like. Built in a single board with no extra board, comunication modules, battery for detachable joycons. 150$ to 200$.
Also, a mini dock + joycon pair +joycon grip pack sold separately, 100$. With ths pack, mini switch owners will have the full switch switch experience (except maybe for labo). The mini dock will have trails to charge the joycons and will work on regular switch as well.
specially in Japan, there is a lot of consumers that wouldnt use the switch ability anyway, why paying for something you dont use?And if you want, you pay extra (still nothing more than the regular switch) and have the full experience. Also, benefit the old switch owners, because a mini dock is demanded since the begining of switch. Considering pokemon, AC, luigis mansion and 2D zelda are very popular in HH and are all coming this year, it would make sense.

So, in short, yes.
But the switch ability will be sold separately, IMO.