By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - If all 3 consoles were $299.99, the PS3 would be in Lead by 300,000.

If all the consoles were 299.99, they wouldn't be the same consoles as they are now.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

Okay, if they were all the same price, which would never happen. The Wii would sell worse than the Game Cube, the 360 would sell better than the Xbox, and the PS3 would sell better than the PS2 in its lifespan. We live in the real world however. A more plausible scenario would be if the Wii and the 360 were the same price and Sony released the PS3 with less capabilities and no DVD player support for $300 then they would dominate just like the last 2 generations. Too bad they made the biggest mistake they could. I was looking forward to the PS3.

Yes, the math here is not really relevant as all of the economics for the makers change at that price point. That said, I'd buy a 360 and/or a ps3 at $299. Not a penny more. That's the max "value" I put on the hardware to play games which has absolutely nothing to do with the math put forth by the OP.

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

If they were magicaly all the same price $300 The Ps3 and Wii well be neck too neck while the 360 still going to sell but not as much as the ps3. but since htat will never happen ps3 most likely going to be in third with 360 in second and wii in first.

deadhorse said:
Okay, if they were all the same price, which would never happen. The Wii would sell worse than the Game Cube, the 360 would sell better than the Xbox, and the PS3 would sell better than the PS2 in its lifespan. We live in the real world however. A more plausible scenario would be if the Wii and the 360 were the same price and Sony released the PS3 with less capabilities and no DVD player support for $300 then they would dominate just like the last 2 generations. Too bad they made the biggest mistake they could. I was looking forward to the PS3.

Actually it wasn't the biggest mistake they could have made ...

Technically speaking, Sony had the opition of producing a far more powerful system at a much higher price. With a very small R&D investment a company could put together a dual cpu (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX670), quad GPU (GeForce 8800), and 4GB of DDR3; even with the greatest volume discounts and the parent company taking a loss you would be unable to sell this system for less than $1200. The performance gap between this system and the PS3 would be very large as anything the PS3 could do at 30 FPS at a resolution of 480p this system could do at 60FPS at a resolution of 1080p with 16xAA and 16xAF.

Around the Network
HappySqurriel said:
deadhorse said:

Technically speaking, Sony had the opition of producing a far more powerful system at a much higher price. With a very small R&D investment a company could put together a dual cpu (Intel Core 2 Extreme QX670), quad GPU (GeForce 8800), and 4GB of DDR3; even with the greatest volume discounts and the parent company taking a loss you would be unable to sell this system for less than $1200. The performance gap between this system and the PS3 would be very large as anything the PS3 could do at 30 FPS at a resolution of 480p this system could do at 60FPS at a resolution of 1080p with 16xAA and 16xAF.

Or they could have tried selling a supercomputer as a console... Which they actually claimed to have done :P

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

HappySqurriel said:
deadhorse said:

Well, that would still be the same mistake, making an overpriced system.  But yeah, $1200 would be far worse

If Wii were 0 US$ And wouldn't be limited by production capacity then EVERYONE WOULD'VE OWNED ONE BY NOW!

My point is... This is just hypothetical bullcrap!

THE NETHERLANDS

Hypotheticly, yes, but it's all hypothetical. Chances are there would be a price cut war to see who could lower it first and still make a profit. It's not really healthy in competition to ssay all are the same. The difference in price is what drive customer's interest.

If they were all $300 and 360 was released a year late, and Wii didn't have motion sensing.... maybe..... possibley.

It doesn't matter though cause in REALITY PS3 was a massive failure and will be off the shelves by this time nextyear.

friend code Wii: 1974 0901 4063 4699

360 Live SN: Myahon

PSN: Myahon