By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What should Microsoft do?

Apologies that I have not kept to the OT.

Here are my top 5:
1. Xbox Live price cut
2. 360 NA price cut
3. Buy Epic/Valve instead of Yahoo
4. Confirm Xmote and be serious about it

5. 10 Gamerscore = 1 Microsoft point 

Around the Network

LittleBigPlanet and White Knight Story will be massive. The first one is a really innovative game that's turning heads all over the world, and the second one is from the team that brought you Dragon Quest 8 (which sold about 8 million units)

Afrika, however, has no right to be in the "future hitgames" list.

But these have:

Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
MotorStorm 2
Resistance 2
Socom Confrontation
Tekken 6
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain
God of War 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Versus

And I'm not even adding the unannounced stuff like the new Naughty Dog and Team Ico games (both will be premiered at E3), some PSN games like WipeOut HD, Haze and tons of others. Because in my oppinion, they're AA titles. Just like Fable wasn't AAA. Very cool game, but missing that extra little something to really hang with the big boys.

KZ2 is uncertain
MGS4 will do so-so
MS 2 yes
R2 yes
Tekken 6 and Socom won't sell much
GT5 yes
Heavy Rain is uncertain
GoW 3 yes
FF *.* yes

@ stranne

I can understand your point of view on Killzone 2, but being an ex Benelux multiformat journalist, I know for a fact that Guerrilla spent the last four years paying top $$$ to get all kinds of talented people from other devs. Their studio is now really a force to be reckoned with.

And MGS4? U kiddin', right. MGS 3 Sold 3.5 million copy's.
Tekken did 2.5 million, and SOCOM 3 did 1.7 (SOCOM 1 did 3.3 million, by the way)

And heavy Rain, that's just my gut feeling. Fahrenheit (or Indigo Prophecy, as it is called in the US) was great, and the lead man at that studio is a real visionary.
But you're right, that's no guarantee.

I'm not saying KZ2 and Heavy Rain will be bad games (personally I'm very excited about Heavy Rain after seeing the videos), but I'm saying that their sales are uncertain.

Tekken 5 did 1.64 million on 120M+ PS2s. MGS3 sold 4 million on PS2.
I think T6 will sell around 800k and MGS4 1,8M (LTD). And I do think that's so-so numbers.

Around the Network
Retrasado said:
Omac said:
You can plug in a bigger hard drive, even if It didn't come with one. They don't need a next-gen drive to play next gen games(look at the PC). PS3 has to wait for any real games to come out.

RRod is getting better with the newer systems they are putting out, plus Microsoft will help you out with the three year warranty(unlike Sony not giving a f*ck about there PS2 drive errors and doing nothing about them).

So ya stick with your fanboyish mentality and stick with the system that promises so much and gives so little.

Point 1: Yes, I can get a bigger HDD, but I'd really like to have more than two size choices and not have to pay $180 for 120GB or $100 for 20GB (I mean seriously, WTH??!) -->fail

Point 2: A BD drive allows PS3 games to be far better than 360 games simply because it provides more space. Will multi-plats be that different? No. (devs can't make them too different or risk backlash. look at Madden 08 for PS3) But PS3 exclusives will blow 360 exclusives out of the water simply because the DVD is not big enough. Look at Uncharted and GT5:P. Those are both 2nd gen PS3 games and they blow 3rd and 4th gen 360 games out of the water even though the PS3's hardware is more difficult to program for. The reason for this is not because of the pow3r of th3 C3ll, (though it is slightly more capable than the Xenon) but is simply because 9 GB is not enough space. Oh, and did I mention that the PS3's BD drive won the format war? That's a FAR bigger market than the VG industry can even HOPE to reach. -->fail

Point 3: What games did the 360 have after 12 months? GeoW? a good game yes, but the PS3 had Warhawk, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, (little short but still a good game) and R&C.  -->fail

Point 4: ummm.... I don't seen to recall 33% of PS2s having DRE.  Also, what does that have to with this gen?

That's what I thought -->fail

1.) Most people buy one with a HHD.  The arcade sales is something like 10%.  Also you can hook up a formated fat32 HDD up to.  That what I've heard on this website.

2.) On this point you have no idea what your talking about.  I'm sure all of those games could be made on the 360 but we will never find out, will we?  All those Blu-Ray games are just uncompressed and use duplicate data which is unessary. Like I said about the PC, they have no restrictions and don't really use the Blu-Ray drive.  They have massive HDD.  But my biggest game on my PC is like 7g.---->FAIL

3.)  Only Geow?  Do your research. There where ton of good games. Even games like Dead Rising, Dead or Alive 4, Saints Row and others.

4.)  There where tons of Ps2 with DRE. I had two of them myself.  My point on bringing it up, was Sony didn't give a shit about you.  You had to go buy another PS2 to get it fixed.  My point in being Microsoft takes care of it's Consumers, and gives you a 3 year warrenty.

So That's what I thought you

stranne said:
I'm not saying KZ2 and Heavy Rain will be bad games (personally I'm very excited about Heavy Rain after seeing the videos), but I'm saying that their sales are uncertain.

Tekken 5 did 1.64 million on 120M+ PS2s. MGS3 sold 4 million on PS2.
I think T6 will sell around 800k and MGS4 1,8M (LTD). And I do think that's so-so numbers.

then your crazy and your a xbox fanboy. ps3 has and will have the best lineup of games period for 2008 and beyond. you should look at the sales for MGS2 and tekken tag.

Prodigy_BE said:
LittleBigPlanet and White Knight Story will be massive. The first one is a really innovative game that's turning heads all over the world, and the second one is from the team that brought you Dragon Quest 8 (which sold about 8 million units)

Afrika, however, has no right to be in the "future hitgames" list.

But these have:

Killzone 2
Metal Gear Solid 4
MotorStorm 2
Resistance 2
Socom Confrontation
Tekken 6
Gran Turismo 5
Heavy Rain
God of War 3
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII Versus

And I'm not even adding the unannounced stuff like the new Naughty Dog and Team Ico games (both will be premiered at E3), some PSN games like WipeOut HD, Haze and tons of others. Because in my oppinion, they're AA titles. Just like Fable wasn't AAA. Very cool game, but missing that extra little something to really hang with the big boys.

You can't even pre-order GT5, Heavy Rain, White Knight Story, and Socom yet at Gamestop so they are probably next Christmas games...

God of War has a pre-order for March 2009...

Let's talk about what is tangibly out there rather then next year or the year after's lineup. 

As for this year, Ninja Gaiden II, Lost Planet Extreme Condition, Command & Conquer Kane's Wraith, Alone in the Dark, Too Human, Age of Conan MMO, World in Conflict, Tales of Vesperia, Warhammer, Fable 2, Halo Wars, Splinter Cell Convistion, Left 4 Dead, Gears of War 2, and Huxley are all AA or AAA games scheduled to ship on 360 and not PS3...  And have pre-orders dated this year.  Oh, and that little game GTA IV has DLC for autumn only for 360.

360 has a great lineup for this year and will do fine.

Jeez, we're talking confirmed system sellers here. Stuff that sells 2 or 3 million and more. Stuff that people buy a console for. World in Conflict, Warhammer, Huxley... All that stuff just fits in with the huge multiformat mass that will be upon us later this year (facebreaker, red faction, Soul Calibur, Dragon Ball, Race Driver Grid, Saints Row 2, Battlefield Bad Company, Midnight Club...)

PS3 has lots more exclusive stuff that won't shift hardware units too you know (Echochrome, The Agency, Singstar, Naruto, Buzz...)

Retrasado said:
Omac said:
You can plug in a bigger hard drive, even if It didn't come with one. They don't need a next-gen drive to play next gen games(look at the PC). PS3 has to wait for any real games to come out.

RRod is getting better with the newer systems they are putting out, plus Microsoft will help you out with the three year warranty(unlike Sony not giving a f*ck about there PS2 drive errors and doing nothing about them).

So ya stick with your fanboyish mentality and stick with the system that promises so much and gives so little.

Point 1: Yes, I can get a bigger HDD, but I'd really like to have more than two size choices and not have to pay $180 for 120GB or $100 for 20GB (I mean seriously, WTH??!) -->fail

Point 2: A BD drive allows PS3 games to be far better than 360 games simply because it provides more space. Will multi-plats be that different? No. (devs can't make them too different or risk backlash. look at Madden 08 for PS3) But PS3 exclusives will blow 360 exclusives out of the water simply because the DVD is not big enough. Look at Uncharted and GT5:P. Those are both 2nd gen PS3 games and they blow 3rd and 4th gen 360 games out of the water even though the PS3's hardware is more difficult to program for. The reason for this is not because of the pow3r of th3 C3ll, (though it is slightly more capable than the Xenon) but is simply because 9 GB is not enough space. Oh, and did I mention that the PS3's BD drive won the format war? That's a FAR bigger market than the VG industry can even HOPE to reach. -->fail

Point 3: What games did the 360 have after 12 months? GeoW? a good game yes, but the PS3 had Warhawk, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, (little short but still a good game) and R&C. -->fail

Point 4: ummm.... I don't seen to recall 33% of PS2s having DRE. Also, what does that have to with this gen?

That's what I thought -->fail

Have you read the new forum rules?