By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - An Official Truce

I have no idea how well this will work, but I thought I'd try it.

There has been a lot of heated arguments on this site over the past 6 months -- actually, there has been heated debates over the past 6 months on any video game forum. In most cases, including this one, Nintendo fans have surged forth, clearly heady with their sudden return to prominence and victory. I can understand that feeling, for sure. 

The problem isn't really that the Nintendo fans are being particularly mean spirited here: they don't (usually) call PS3 fans idiots and losers, they don't usually curse or laugh or say anything obscene and cruel. Really, it's just that there are so many Nintendo fans populating these types of boards that they (usually) inadvertently swarm over any PS3/360 fan, responding 6 or 7 times to any post to tell them why they are incorrect and wrong. That doesn't feel good and it's not constructive.

I have a great affection for this site in particular, and I'm quite afraid that it will end up being no more than a Wii fansite. Seriously. We've already pushed a healthy portion of PS3/360 owners off the site by bullying them, and I don't want that to continue. I want everyone to post here happily -- even if we disagree. I doubt even the most ardent of Wii fans wants this to turn into a Wii site, either.

So please, sign here if you agree to treat PS3, Xbox360, and Wii owners with respect, even if they don't agree with your opinions. This obviously can't always work, as it's hard to remain totally calm and composed if someone comes in and tells you you're a retard and a homo for liking System (X): this is a general contract, and I'd hope we can agree on limited boundries. Let's start with these, and they can be changed over time:

1) If someone curses, uses profane language, or ridicules you (calls you an "idiot," "retard," or any such thing), you are not held to this contract.

2) If someone clearly lies, as in "The Wii has sold 20 million systems already," or "The PS3 has sold way better than the Wii," then you are not held to this contract. Vague half truths don't count -- it has to be a bold, outright lie to free you. 

Unless someone breaks the above rules, let's all agree not to mock and/or gang up on people who simply disagree with us. If someone signs this contract, then continues to incite flame wars, link them to this page to remind them.

I'll go first.

/sign 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

Good idea. Debate is good, as long as both parties can agree to disagree. /sign

Not sure if it will make a difference, but I like the idea. /sign

"..just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake"

/sign My ideology is to never speak in absolutes; allow room for possibility. In addition, you can use speculation to defend your points, but there is always another possible outcome, which is usually used as the counter argument.

I don't need to sign this. You can judge me by my history.

Around the Network

Does this mean we arent allowed to tell people that we think they are wrong if we think they are wrong? Because if it does Im not signing, the entire point of a debate is to have two disagreeing sides. However if it is a contract not to insult or flame people, /sign. I ask that because the wordings ambiguous, how can we tell if we are 'ganging up' on people, multiple people replying to one persons post is surely fine and of course its likely that more wii fans will comment because there are more wii fans on this site. In my opinion the Wii fans in general arent the main problem with this site, its the few extremely rabid fans of the PS3 or Wii (Larry, Blue3 and Gballzack for example) that are taking it to extremes that cause the trouble.

Rath said:
Does this mean we arent allowed to tell people that we think they are wrong if we think they are wrong? Because if it does Im not signing, the entire point of a debate is to have two disagreeing sides. However if it is a contract not to insult or flame people, /sign. I ask that because the wordings ambiguous, how can we tell if we are 'ganging up' on people, multiple people replying to one persons post is surely fine and of course its likely that more wii fans will comment because there are more wii fans on this site. In my opinion the Wii fans in general arent the main problem with this site, its the few extremely rabid fans of the PS3 or Wii (Larry, Blue3 and Gballzack for example) that are taking it to extremes that cause the trouble.

no it just means that we dont call them fanboys and diss their choose in what consoles they like.

what the hell

/sign

the main people I want to see sign this is the mods/admins and the nintendo fans that are on these boards. They need to learn to behave deal with other peoples opinions and respect their decisions to like their own console(s). 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I'm all for it. Let's have some reasonable discussions. Debates are fine, let's just keep them civil. /sign

bit silly since I don't think I've been doing anything attacking recently (except to larry, but that doesn't really count) but anyway /sign

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

Deleted by Moderator