By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - An Official Truce

Im still waiting to see a weezy sign this instead of being himself.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I'm going to repeat this for emphasis:  this thread isn't really about signing an "official" contract. It may look like it, but its not. That doesn't mean you should stop signing it, just note that the actual signing is only a symbol of the real goal.

That goal is for everyone to recognize something: if we want this site to grow and flourish, it is in all of our best interests to be kind and constructive. This isn't even about being nice, exactly -- instead, recognize that being nice is in your best interest, if you are interested in seeing this site do well.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Bodhesatva said: 

I have a great affection for this site in particular, and I'm quite afraid that it will end up being no more than a Wii fansite. Seriously. We've already pushed a healthy portion of PS3/360 owners off the site by bullying them, and I don't want that to continue. I want everyone to post here happily -- even if we disagree. I doubt even the most ardent of Wii fans wants this to turn into a Wii site, either.

QFT(hope I used that right). I'd hate this place to be biased. Not fun that way

/el signo

While I agree with the goal of this "contract", I don't see much value in it. Unless something like this is enforced by moderators, it won't change anything. The reason I say this is that the majority of the people would would come here and /sign it are those people who already follow these sorts of rules. Another problem ends up being that people often don't see their own behavior in the same light as others. Sony fans will indicate that its the nintendo fans causing all the problems. Nintendo fans will indicate its the sony fans causing the problems. The point is, even if someone signs this thread, they are going to construe people with an opposing viewpoint as being more radical than they see themselves. It's a noble aim to promote healthy and respectful debate, and I'm all for it, but a better way to attain that goal is ignoring those people who are disrespectful and insisting that moderators deal with people who do nothing but insult others and cause trouble. Leading by example is the best way to change behaviour.

Kytiara said:
While I agree with the goal of this "contract", I don't see much value in it. Unless something like this is enforced by moderators, it won't change anything. The reason I say this is that the majority of the people would would come here and /sign it are those people who already follow these sorts of rules. Another problem ends up being that people often don't see their own behavior in the same light as others. Sony fans will indicate that its the nintendo fans causing all the problems. Nintendo fans will indicate its the sony fans causing the problems. The point is, even if someone signs this thread, they are going to construe people with an opposing viewpoint as being more radical than they see themselves. It's a noble aim to promote healthy and respectful debate, and I'm all for it, but a better way to attain that goal is ignoring those people who are disrespectful and insisting that moderators deal with people who do nothing but insult others and cause trouble. Leading by example is the best way to change behaviour.

Again, Kytiara, I'm aware of the problems with such a thread, and I'd say my list of problems almost exactly mirrors your own.

However, you'd be surprised how often "Please, be nice to each other" works when said in a direct and frank way. Provoking people by calling them stupid almost never works: shaming them by claiming their behavior is unkind or cruel doesn't always work, but often can. So it won't stop everyone, I agree with that. But if it stops 10 percent of the trouble, I'd say it's worth it. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

I like this site for the simple reason that everyone seems to respect your opinon and not bash you or your console. It's all about logic and evidence and i don't want that to change. /sign

Signing this is completely worthless. It's up to the mods and rules to maintain community standards.

I don't believe for one second that the people who are verbally abusive will honor anything.

Community conduct should be clearly spelled out when you create a new account anyways. So if they signed that already and don't follow it, what makes you think they will sign this and follow it.

Bodhesatva said:
Kytiara said:

Again, Kytiara, I'm aware of the problems with such a thread, and I'd say my list of problems almost exactly mirrors your own.

However, you'd be surprised how often "Please, be nice to each other" works when said in a direct and frank way. Provoking people by calling them stupid almost never works: shaming them by claiming their behavior is unkind or cruel doesn't always work, but often can. So it won't stop everyone, I agree with that. But if it stops 10 percent of the trouble, I'd say it's worth it. 

Ok, I agree, it can't hurt and it might help =)

/sign

FishyJoe said:

Signing this is completely worthless. It's up to the mods and rules to maintain community standards.

I don't believe for one second that the people who are verbally abusive will honor anything.

Community conduct should be clearly spelled out when you create a new account anyways. So if they signed that already and don't follow it, what makes you think they will sign this and follow it.

And the mods have proven time and tmie again, they are not up to the task.

XBOX LIVE Gamertag: QuantumTarntno

Crackdown - Enchanted Arms - Oblivion - Samurai Warriors 2 - GRAW - GRAW2 -Lost Planet - Guitar Hero 2 - Star Trek Legacy - Double Agent - WWE 2007

Wii 4237-4425-6442-7626

Mario Party 8 - Rayman Raving Rabbids - Excite Truck - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Godfather - Wii Play

Quantum-Tarantino said:
FishyJoe said:

And the mods have proven time and tmie again, they are not up to the task.

I don't think that this is entirely fair.  The moderators are not paid employee's and they all have lives off of these boards.  I think they do a reasonably good job, but maybe there should be more of them.