By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

RaptorChrist said:
I thought you had to be working in order to get welfare? Or disabled, maybe? Maybe the OP is getting by with just enough money with what little he gains from being unemployed that his desire to seek work is below the threshold to which he will actually go and pursue a job.

Unless it was a typo, 1000 consecutive, failed, job applications is so far beyond the stretch of my imagination that it's hard to find credibility in any excuses that might be made.

First bolded: He gets welfare because of his mental condition.

Second bolded: Indeed that his some highly denial on his part and if he keeps being in that state it will be hard to see that others want to help him or the valuable information from those and to help himself.

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
I thought you had to be working in order to get welfare? Or disabled, maybe? Maybe the OP is getting by with just enough money with what little he gains from being unemployed that his desire to seek work is below the threshold to which he will actually go and pursue a job.

Unless it was a typo, 1000 consecutive, failed, job applications is so far beyond the stretch of my imagination that it's hard to find credibility in any excuses that might be made.

It's worse than 1000 failed applications, it's 1000 not replied applications. He claimed he didn't even get a no out of them.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Yeah, it's sad that most answers where just like "if you want to work, you find plenty of work"

Like I said before, I was ling-term unemployed twice, but the reasons are unrelated to the ones in the OP. However I can relate to that also because of two friends of mine. One studied German language at the university and then had a very hard time to find a job for over a year. Had the employment office not sent her to work in an office at a special school, she probably wouldn't have found work anytime soon. She was just too qualified for most jobs (for those who don't know, employers  take these diplomas into account when hiring; as a result a highly educated person gets to be paid more than a person without diplomas, even for the same jobs - hence why people can be over-educated in the first place) and stumbled for a year and half before she got placed there.

The other one had rich parents, so she was pretty safe for a while, but both her diploma (french language) and her demeanor and looks (hot-tempered punk) where certainly off-putting for most early employer meetings. She mellowed down over time, though, after a couple months she didn't look like a punk at all anymore. And then finally got an opportunity as an elementary school teacher. But she was looking for over 4 years before she could find that one with her diploma.

Sadly, only a few countries have such extensive safety nets as Luxembourg does. Without it, I don't think I would be able to write you here now, as I don't think either of us would have gotten the job and training opportunities they offered us.

And for those complaining that it leads to people sitting at home just waiting for their unemployment paycheck, think again. In Luxembourg, you have to go to every lead they send you unless you have a very valid excuse not to (like being on prescribed sick leave or sending you somewhere you don't have any qualification for - but you need to point out the latter before the meeting date) and give them a copy of every job letter you sent (so they can check if you're really trying, but also to improve your resumee if necessary) at your monthly appointment (which is invariably before 10am) with them. Fail to do so and you won't get unemployment pay for a couple months. So yeah, you get enough money to live more or less, but they don't let you become lazy for it. Also keep in mind that you have to repay that money later on when you earn your own money.

Both friends you described just seems like people that chose a career that didn't offer value to the market so no one would want to pay for their qualifications.

They were training to become higher education teachers (Everybody learns French and German to the point of fluency in Luxembourg). But I agree that job openings there are rarer than the offer of people with these degrees.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1379392
My tear jerker back in 2010. Nothing has changed I just could not get over not finding a job after completing a degree and accepted it as just bad luck.
I had no experience, no skills and a lousy degree that made me over qualified for unskilled jobs.
With no assistance I simply, I could not make it in this world.
I am weak character and can not deal with rejection and I have no plan or strategy.
Good thing I still have my mummy to help me out for now but begging on the streets and homelessness is in my future.

I can remember joking with some gallows humor that companies were looking for 20-year-olds with 30 years of work experience.

Seriously though, sometimes that seems the only possible way to some of the job postings. They don't want older persons, but want heaps of experience only oder persons can provide. Sometimes I wonder how those companies even can find anybody to hire.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Both friends you described just seems like people that chose a career that didn't offer value to the market so no one would want to pay for their qualifications.

They were training to become higher education teachers (Everybody learns French and German to the point of fluency in Luxembourg). But I agree that job openings there are rarer than the offer of people with these degrees.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1379392
My tear jerker back in 2010. Nothing has changed I just could not get over not finding a job after completing a degree and accepted it as just bad luck.
I had no experience, no skills and a lousy degree that made me over qualified for unskilled jobs.
With no assistance I simply, I could not make it in this world.
I am weak character and can not deal with rejection and I have no plan or strategy.
Good thing I still have my mummy to help me out for now but begging on the streets and homelessness is in my future.

I can remember joking with some gallows humor that companies were looking for 20-year-olds with 30 years of work experience.

Seriously though, sometimes that seems the only possible way to some of the job postings. They don't want older persons, but want heaps of experience only oder persons can provide. Sometimes I wonder how those companies even can find anybody to hire.

Understood. But if most people are fluent in both languages in Luxemborg it seems a little "pointless" to get a master on it as it seems not like so many people would be interested in paying for special classes on these subjects.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

DonFerrari said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

Understood. But if most people are fluent in both languages in Luxemborg it seems a little "pointless" to get a master on it as it seems not like so many people would be interested in paying for special classes on these subjects.

You need those degrees for the job. Without them, you can't become teacher for the respective languages. It's a governmental requirement.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 26 March 2019

Around the Network

The employment system is designed that only those who are normal and are of sound body and mind are deemed worthy of employment.
I have always been unworthy of employment and I never got a single job interview after completing my accounting degree 10 years ago. 

I would still be doing a low paid store clerk role if I stuck it out and did not quit to do an accounting degree on welfare.
I took huge gamble many years ago and I ended up unemployable. The manager even said to me you are unlikely to ever find work again. He was right and that was 10+ years ago.
One mistake has ruined my life. Never leave a job without a back up job or no prospects of finding future employment.

Therapy failed me after 4 years of doing it between 2010 to 2014. I could never get a single job back then not even unskilled job in retail/store clerk. Those words that manager said still haunt me and cut to my soul. I am unemployable, unworthy of employment.

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 27 March 2019

How about trying outside of the UK? Maybe there you may have better chances on the job markets?

It costs a lot of money to travel and start again, I live off welfare and charity.
It is not simply just move to another country there are so many costs involved in moving from one location to the next.
People that do not know what they are talking about will make claims like just move somewhere else.
I do not know anyone in other countries and I would just end up a homeless beggar on the street.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
It costs a lot of money to travel and start again, I live off welfare and charity.
It is not simply just move to another country there are so many costs involved in moving from one location to the next.
People that do not know what they are talking about will make claims like just move somewhere else.
I do not know anyone in other countries and I would just end up a homeless beggar on the street.

I was hoping maybe you'd knew somebody outside of the UK where you could bunk until you'd find a job. But without that option I agree moving abroad isn't a possibility for you.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

You need those degrees for the job. Without them, you can't become teacher for the respective languages. It's a governmental requirement.

I understood before hand that you need that qualification to teach those languages. What I said is that since the country naturally have a good knowledge of those languages, with most of the population being proficient then probably there isn't many job openings on it.

But that is the thing on doing what you like, but market not needing it at the moment. They will end up finding that job if they keep looking while doing other stuff (and certainly can apply overboard).

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

The employment system is designed that only those who are normal and are of sound body and mind are deemed worthy of employment.
I have always been unworthy of employment and I never got a single job interview after completing my accounting degree 10 years ago. 

I would still be doing a low paid store clerk role if I stuck it out and did not quit to do an accounting degree on welfare.
I took huge gamble many years ago and I ended up unemployable. The manager even said to me you are unlikely to ever find work again. He was right and that was 10+ years ago.
One mistake has ruined my life. Never leave a job without a back up job or no prospects of finding future employment.

Therapy failed me after 4 years of doing it between 2010 to 2014. I could never get a single job back then not even unskilled job in retail/store clerk. Those words that manager said still haunt me and cut to my soul. I am unemployable, unworthy of employment.

Would you hire someone that isn't of sound mind to work for you? Companies take a lot of liabilities for their employee, so hardly they would hire someone that could put then on a dire situation. Unless you are talking about small quirks and deviations.