By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

I've been wronged more by members of the general public than by police.

See bold.

What do you get?

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

What do you get?

That you don't have to deal with it yourself so you don't give a damn about those that do.

No, I give a damn. I give a damn for people whose livelihoods have been ruined by rioters and looters who may or may not give two shits about Floyd.

I go to one of my favorite restaurants where I meet friends and acquaintances but worry when the store has to close early and worry if these people will be able to make ends meet when they can't work.

As for former officer Derek, he's been fired and brought up on charges which is what I'd expect to happen when one person directly or indirectly leads to the death of another person. What I'm still wondering is why are people still protesting?

KLAMarine said:

As for former officer Derek, he's been fired and brought up on charges which is what I'd expect to happen when one person directly or indirectly leads to the death of another person. What I'm still wondering is why are people still protesting?

First of all, there were three other officers present who still haven't been charged.

Second, this isn't about one incident. It is about the broken system in which these incidents are both inevitable and common. Further, many different cities are channeling their own anger and sadness in relation to other unjust deaths at the hands of police, such as the death of Breonna Taylor in Louisville.

The fact that you even felt the need to ask that question shows tremendous ignorance from one of the loudest voices on these forums speaking against these protests.

tsogud said:

1) That's essentially what we did tho... So you are being hypocritical... We've had to rebel and use riots and protests because are voices were going unheard. You're acting like our history doesn't have that at all which is completely false, you can't just rewrite history. The reason you have the privilege to celebrate Pride and be who you are is because someone else did that hard work and participated in those demonstrations that you turn your nose up at.

Why can't you understand that I support protesting? I am not against it? Why are you arguing for the sake of arguing? I am telling you my position.
The world is standing behind the black lives matter cause, something I actually support.

What I don't support is the unnecessary death and destruction of innocent people, property and the environment and that should be ridiculed and condemned, it's 2020 for christ sake, people need to act their age, not their shoe size.

So no. I am not rewriting history, I am not against history and I am not against protesting, I am not against black lives matter, you are arguing for the sake of arguing and trying to drive a false narrative by inserting false statements to paint me in a certain way, which is illogical.

tsogud said:

2) You were the one that said you didn't give a shit about the United States constitution in an United States political thread... If you really don't give a shit you had a choice of not posting problematic opinions. I literally couldn't give two shits that your a firefighter but I was respectful of your profession.

Correct. I don't give a shit about the US Constitutions in a United States Political thread, because it has no bearing on me, it has nothing to do with me.

I do however support individual causes/movements/rights for American citizens to stand by it.

tsogud said:

3) I'm literally quoting you. You said they're equally dangerous and I explained that they're not because in principle they're not the same thing. The simple fact is that race doesn't equal profession which you've agreed on. I'm not saying that generalizing on profession isn't dangerous in some way just that it's extremely problematic to say exactly what you said. Go and reread that italicized quote from you in my post.

You are quoting, but not understanding.
Other people have seen my point/perspective in the correct fashion and despite repeated attempts to expand and elaborate on my points, you ignore those and run with whatever you believe.

Which is why I have politely asked for you to go back in this thread and read those posts within their intended context, arguing for the sake of arguing isn't getting you anywhere.

tsogud said:

4) Or maybe you don't know what it's like to be black or a poc in America?? Because that seems a hell of a lot more relevant than how a firefighter responds in Australia and their guidelines/policies/laws that they have to follow that's specifically tailored to that country.

I never said I did know what it's like to be black or poc in America? I'm not American, I have never lived in America.
And you are making a straw man argument which is a logical fallacy.

I support African Americans, I support people of Colour, I support Womens Rights, I support LGBTQI rights, stop making this out to be something it isn't, I'm not a right-wing conservative.

Doesn't matter what country you are from. You take your uniform off, you still have expectations to follow, it's part of a social license.

tsogud said:

5) I never said you generalized people based off race. I'm talking about your problematic language. I agree that nobody should be generalized.

Fantastic. Problem Solved!

tsogud said:

6) Again I'm literally quoting you, not putting words in your mouth. Just trying to explain that you have a misconception here that's extremely problematic.

No. You are twisting them to drive a certain narrative and not reading when those points are elaborated upon.

tsogud said:

7) I never said you said racism is okay. Re-read that. You seem to be the one putting words into people's mouths... I'm literally agreeing with you there that generalizing people based on race is racist, and I add violent, but I disagree with your statement that this from of racism is "equally as dangerous" as generalizing people based on profession. As your statement is problematic. They're not equally dangerous because of many things including that race and profession, on principle, are different. Racism and prejudice based on profession are different beasts entirely.

Generalizing is bad. It doesn't matter what the underlying identifier is.

Racism is just as bad as calling every single police officer mindless brutes who target and kill African Americans.
What happens there is that officers are then often the target of brutality and threats, that's not cool, they are meant to protect and serve the community.
That doesn't mean racism is okay, far from it, that's equally as bad and also needs to be condemned.

The targets may be different, the wording may be different, but attacking any demographic is not acceptable rhetoric expected from any civilized nation. (Then again, the US seems to be far from civilized if the last few months is any metric.)

And I have agreed that racism and prejudice based on profession have differences, again, I absolutely agreed with you there prior, so I don't know why you need to keep arguing this?

tsogud said:

8) For someone who egotistically thinks so highly of themselves that statement was extremely petty and childish. You literally said "I am criticizing BOTH sides for their childish bullshit, don't paint me out to be someone Pro-Police or Pro-African American, I am neither. I don't have a side in this. At. All." You literally said you are NOT Pro-African American, African Americans are people. Taking you on your word and quoting you is bold now??

I have literally stood between walls of fire and people fleeing to safety.
I have scaled down several hundred meter cliffs on a piece of rope to rescue someone who has fallen down.
I have traveled out to sea to pluck a dead body out of the water.
I have worked the hydraulic tools to cut a family out of a car whilst shielding a child from the horrific images.
I have searched through collapsed buildings to find trapped persons.
I have gone into oxygen-depleted atmospheres in side complexes and dragged unconscious bodies out.

So yes I think highly of myself, I have earned that right, confidence is a requirement in what I do.

Nope. You are misconstruing my statements if you think I am not Pro-African American, again a failure of you reading my statements within their intended context.

tsogud said:

9) Links to the previous statement: If you really are the great protector of life and are pro-people of color then you are Pro-African American and a proponent of these BLM protests and the movement but you clearly stated you don't have a side and that you're not Pro-African American so you really don't protect life and you aren't pro-people of color. Staying neutral and muddying the waters of what the protests mean will result in the removal of life.

I am supporter of protesting. I am a supporter of Black Lives Matter.

I am not a supporter of unnecessary violence which these riots are demonstrating.
People all around the world are standing in solidarity and doing peaceful protests, this is fantastic, this is what should happen.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-01/george-floyd-death-us-protests-global-reaction/12306012

Having people killed in retaliation of George Floyd is not okay. - 5 People died according to this article.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/01/us/george-floyd-unrest-toll.html

Buildings are being set on fire and burnt down:
https://www.businessinsider.com.au/george-floyd-protests-minneapolis-restaurant-owner-let-my-building-burn-2020-5

Vehicles are being set on fire:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2020/6/2/21278646/chicago-protest-joker-mask-george-floyd-police-timothy-odonnell

Officers being shot and run over by vehicles:
https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/02/us/us-protests-tuesday-george-floyd/index.html

Businesses are having all their items stolen/looted:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/may/31/george-floyd-protesters-condemn-opportunistic-looting-violence

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/us-protests-woman-who-looted-cheesecake-becomes-internet-hero/news-story/a8989fa8b5fcc68540514125fc9c983d

I am not okay with any of this, no one should be.

tsogud said:

10) Again your muddying the waters here and detracting of what the majority of the peaceful protesters did and what the protests mean because a few of them acted up in a way you don't like. That's almost a generalization there but not quite on the nose. The protests would've gone smoothly on the whole had the police officers instigating the violence done their job and kept the peace and protected their freedom of speech.

Bit of a false assumption that I don't know what the protests mean? Pretty evident everyone knows what they mean.
And I don't doubt they have "cause" to be upset.

But there is certainly a right way and a wrong way to go about things.

Also... Freedom of Speech doesn't entitle you to say whatever you desire without repercussion, there is a ton of restrictions.

tsogud said:

The protests would've gone smoothly on the whole had the police officers instigating the violence done their job and kept the peace and protected their freedom of speech. An overwhelming majority of the violence was perpetuated by police officers so if you're against violence you should be leaning on the side of the protesters. Also that's like the third time you mentioned rape, I don't recall either the protesters or the police raping anybody? Got credible sources on that?

I have condemned the actions of the officers in the first instance, not sure how many times or how many different ways I need to say it?

As for the rapes, probably a misunderstanding on my behalf from news outlets.
https://burgeronreport.com/washington-police-arrest-more-than-300-people-for-violating-curfew-burgeron-report/

But I wouldn't be surprised if a few cases have occurred during a crime-free-for-all, time will tell on that front.

Last edited by Pemalite - on 02 June 2020

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
tsogud said:

7) I never said you said racism is okay. Re-read that. You seem to be the one putting words into people's mouths... I'm literally agreeing with you there that generalizing people based on race is racist, and I add violent, but I disagree with your statement that this from of racism is "equally as dangerous" as generalizing people based on profession. As your statement is problematic. They're not equally dangerous because of many things including that race and profession, on principle, are different. Racism and prejudice based on profession are different beasts entirely.

Generalizing is bad. It doesn't matter what the underlying identifier is.

Racism is just as bad as calling every single police officer mindless brutes who target and kill African Americans.
What happens there is that officers are then often the target of brutality and threats, that's not cool, they are meant to protect and serve the community.
That doesn't mean racism is okay, far from it, that's equally as bad and also needs to be condemned.

The targets may be different, the wording may be different, but attacking any demographic is not acceptable rhetoric expected from any civilized nation. (Then again, the US seems to be far from civilized if the last few months is any metric.)

And I have agreed that racism and prejudice based on profession have differences, again, I absolutely agreed with you there prior, so I don't know why you need to keep arguing this?

You are making a logical leap that you are not justifying:

1) Racism is bad and harmful

2) "calling every single police officer mindless brutes who target and kill African Americans" is bad and harmful

3) These two things are equal (Or "just as bad").

The first point is self-evident. The second point you have explained. The third you have failed to justify. Just because two things are both bad doesn't mean they are equally bad. Racism in often manifested as systematic discrimination and mistreatment of underprivileged groups. Throwing damaging accusations at all police officers is not systematic, it rarely manifests in discrimination and it is targeting a group with inherent power.

These two things are not equal. Yes, they may both sometimes lead to negative outcomes, however, they are not equal.

Further, speaking for myself (though everything I've seen from tsogud makes it seem like we are on the same page), as a point of clarification, I am not making these claims about all police officers. I am making no judgement about the individuals. I am making claims about the system. The system is flawed in such a way that injustice and abuse are both inevitable and common. This may result in some generalizations about the policing system, however, it is not an indictment of "all cops", which creates a further level of abstraction from the logic you are trying to put forward to make it not really compute.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:

2) "calling every single police officer mindless brutes who target and kill African Americans" is bad and harmful

The first point is self-evident. The second point you have explained. The third you have failed to justify. Just because two things are both bad doesn't mean they are equally bad. Racism in often manifested as systematic discrimination and mistreatment of underprivileged groups. Throwing damaging accusations at all police officers is not systematic, it rarely manifests in discrimination and it is targeting a group with inherent power.

These two things are not equal. Yes, they may both sometimes lead to negative outcomes, however, they are not equal.

Further, speaking for myself (though everything I've seen from tsogud makes it seem like we are on the same page), as a point of clarification, I am not making these claims about all police officers. I am making no judgement about the individuals. I am making claims about the system. The system is flawed in such a way that injustice and abuse are both inevitable and common. This may result in some generalizations about the policing system, however, it is not an indictment of "all cops", which creates a further level of abstraction from the logic you are trying to put forward to make it not really compute.

When it directly results in violence and death, I don't care what excuse people use, condemn it, that is the point I am making.

Being African American is not an excuse to destroy life or property.
Being a police officer is not an excuse to destroy life or property.

That is my point and all there is to my point, yet it seems many disagree with that and believe the violence, death and destruction to be more than acceptable? I just don't get that logic, I am intrinsically trained to protect life, property and the environment regardless.

sundin13 said:
KLAMarine said:

First of all, there were three other officers present who still haven't been charged.

Second, this isn't about one incident. It is about the broken system in which these incidents are both inevitable and common. Further, many different cities are channeling their own anger and sadness in relation to other unjust deaths at the hands of police, such as the death of Breonna Taylor in Louisville.

The fact that you even felt the need to ask that question shows tremendous ignorance from one of the loudest voices on these forums speaking against these protests.

"there were three other officers present who still haven't been charged"

>They didn't have their knees on Floyd's neck did they?

"Second, this isn't about one incident. It is about the broken system in which these incidents are both inevitable and common."

>What are your suggested fixes?

"The fact that you even felt the need to ask that question shows tremendous ignorance from one of the loudest voices on these forums speaking against these protests."

>Speaking against violent protests in particular that lash out at completely innocent parties.

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

No, I give a damn. I give a damn for people whose livelihoods have been ruined by rioters and looters who may or may not give two shits about Floyd.

I go to one of my favorite restaurants where I meet friends and acquaintances but worry when the store has to close early and worry if these people will be able to make ends meet when they can't work.

No, you don't.  If you did, you A) wouldn't look at this issue through the lens of a single incident and B) would know better to begin with.

You give a damn about some.  I mean...if "all lives mattered", why are you equating damaged (and near certainly insured) property with decades of oppression, brutality and death?

People have been having their lives ruined for decades with unjust profiling, planted evidence, unfair judicial representation/bail/sentences, beatings and deaths....but fuck all that because an insured "store has to close early and worry if these people will be able to make ends meet when they can't work".

"People have been having their lives ruined for decades with unjust profiling, planted evidence, unfair judicial representation/bail/sentences, beatings and deaths...."

>And I don't think I could find anyone who would defend these acts. The act of lashing out at innocent parties however I fear isn't equally condemned.

Pemalite said:
sundin13 said:

When it directly results in violence and death, I don't care what excuse people use, condemn it, that is the point I am making.

Being African American is not an excuse to destroy life or property.
Being a police officer is not an excuse to destroy life or property.

That is my point and all there is to my point, yet it seems many disagree with that and believe the violence, death and destruction to be more than acceptable? I just don't get that logic, I am intrinsically trained to protect life, property and the environment regardless.

Yes, feel free to condemn generalizations, however, do not generalize by saying that calling all cops pigs or murderers is just as bad as racism. Choose your words more carefully if you don't truly stand behind these statements, and if you do stand by these statements, defend them, as you have thus far failed to do so.

And I'll say it again, but this isn't about what is right or wrong or what is "acceptable". When a systemic injustice is carried out for generations, this is an inevitability, and it is the government's responsibility to provide justice and fix the broken system to ensure that this doesn't happen. In the words of Martin Luther King Jr:

"in a real sense our nation’s summers of riots are caused by our nation’s winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention"

I demand that the system provides the justice that is long overdue, and until it does, I will not use my privilege to beat back the oppressed who can't take the injustice any more. I may not agree with it, but my efforts are better spent elsewhere.

KLAMarine said:
sundin13 said:

1) "there were three other officers present who still haven't been charged"

>They didn't have their knees on Floyd's neck did they?

2) "Second, this isn't about one incident. It is about the broken system in which these incidents are both inevitable and common."

>What are your suggested fixes?

"The fact that you even felt the need to ask that question shows tremendous ignorance from one of the loudest voices on these forums speaking against these protests."

>Speaking against violent protests in particular that lash out at completely innocent parties.

SpokenTruth said:

No, you don't.  If you did, you A) wouldn't look at this issue through the lens of a single incident and B) would know better to begin with.

You give a damn about some.  I mean...if "all lives mattered", why are you equating damaged (and near certainly insured) property with decades of oppression, brutality and death?

People have been having their lives ruined for decades with unjust profiling, planted evidence, unfair judicial representation/bail/sentences, beatings and deaths....but fuck all that because an insured "store has to close early and worry if these people will be able to make ends meet when they can't work".

3) "People have been having their lives ruined for decades with unjust profiling, planted evidence, unfair judicial representation/bail/sentences, beatings and deaths...."

>And I don't think I could find anyone who would defend these acts. The act of lashing out at innocent parties however I fear isn't equally condemned.

1) If I rob a bank with my friends and one of them shoots a man, I can be charged for murder. As officers, their inaction should be criminal, and if it isn't, that is simply more evidence that the system needs reform now.

2) I've already provided a detailed link including many reforms, and explained why this question in itself is flawed.

3) There is a big difference between "not defending" something, and actively condemning it, and an even bigger gap between fighting for change. Fact is, this system exists, and there are many people who stand in the way of progress in one way or another.

You are one of them.

sundin13 said:

Yes, feel free to condemn generalizations, however, do not generalize by saying that calling all cops pigs or murderers is just as bad as racism. Choose your words more carefully if you don't truly stand behind these statements, and if you do stand by these statements, defend them, as you have thus far failed to do so.

I disagree with this assertion.

sundin13 said:

And I'll say it again, but this isn't about what is right or wrong or what is "acceptable". When a systemic injustice is carried out for generations, this is an inevitability, and it is the government's responsibility to provide justice and fix the broken system to ensure that this doesn't happen. 

I do not condone the injustice that has occurred for generations. False equivalency.

And I have already stated prior in this thread that there needs to be systemic changes in the American justice and political system to rectify these intrinsic structural issues from top to bottom because it is fundamentally wrong and damaging to certain demographics.

sundin13 said:

I demand that the system provides the justice that is long overdue, and until it does, I will not use my privilege to beat back the oppressed who can't take the injustice any more. I may not agree with it, but my efforts are better spent elsewhere.

I am not beating back the oppressed. Again. False equivalency.

I am disagreeing with the idea that burning buildings, vehicles, death and destruction is somehow justified, it's never justified, regardless of who you are, what you believe in, your race, gender, sexuality or profession.

It's an unacceptable reaction, that is all there is to it.

Protest by all means, take the fight through legislation and the legal system. - But taking life, destroying property, ravaging the environment is not an okay response to anything, ever.

Perhaps I expect to much of a country that supports the death penalty and has the worlds highest incarceration rates though? But I believe society can be better than this the world over.