By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
KLAMarine said:
SpokenTruth said:

So Trump lied again recently (*gasp*) and in the process violated US Code.

For those not aware, the Bahamas and the southeast United States have been dealing with a hurricane the past several days.  Trump gave a press conference early on to about the storm where he stated which states would be most affected.  One of the states he warned of potential devastation was Alabama.  However, no computer model or prediction from the National Hurricane Center or NOAA ever showed Alabama in any danger at all. 

Ok, minor issue though many residents may have taken his warning seriously and began preparations for evacuation, sheltering, etc....  Even the National Weather Service in Alabama had to blast out Tweets and updates to disregard the president's warning. But when asked about why he blatantly lied, Trump doubled down on his claim saying the National Weather Service had originally projected Alabama as in the path (spoiler alert: it didn't).  Then, he later tripled down on it by presenting a modified National Weather Service map to make it appear that he was correct.

This is his doctored map.

That black marker extension was added either by himself or an aide at his direction. This is an intentional falsification of a weather report with the sole purpose of trying to prevent himself from having to admit that he lied.  So about the crime aspect - see 18 U.S. Code § 2074. False Weather Reports:

"Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both."

To sum up, Trump broke Federal law in an attempt to cover a lie.

"Trump gave a press conference early on to about the storm where he stated which states would be most affected.  One of the states he warned of potential devastation was Alabama."

At what point does Trump mention Alabama potentially being devastated?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QXCM5dF3Rg

Here you go 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=trump+alabama+hurricane&view=detail&mid=55DC1B4A0ABE3A72D91E55DC1B4A0ABE3A72D91E&FORM=VIRE

Try to use google instead of just Fox News.

Around the Network
Machiavellian said:
KLAMarine said:

"Trump gave a press conference early on to about the storm where he stated which states would be most affected.  One of the states he warned of potential devastation was Alabama."

Here you go 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=trump+alabama+hurricane&view=detail&mid=55DC1B4A0ABE3A72D91E55DC1B4A0ABE3A72D91E&FORM=VIRE

Try to use google instead of just Fox News.

A lot of what he said sounded hypothetical. That's pretty normal in weather forecasting: there's always a degree of uncertainty.

And it looks like you used Bing, not Google.

the-pi-guy said:
KLAMarine said:

1.) He's literally holding up a map of Alabama getting hit.

2.) "Later that day, Trump twice told reporters that Alabama was in the storm's path, first saying outside of Marine One that "Alabama is going to get a piece of it, it looks like," and later, at a Federal Emergency Management Agency briefing, saying the storm "may get a little piece of a great place: It's called Alabama.""

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-again-defends-claim-hurricane-dorian-could-have-hit-alabama-n1049906

3.) He has literally defended the claim about Alabama. 

1.) Said map he described as being an initial forecast as in no longer accurate.

2.) "it looks like", "may get", typical language when it comes to weather forecasts.

3.) "was going to be hit or grazed, and then Hurricane Dorian took a different path (up along the East Coast)" more speculative language.

Again, pretty typical stuff in weather forecasts. "A chance of rain" as in no guarantee.

Are people angry Trump may have encouraged people to be prepared for a potential hurricane? Sounds pretty sensible: buy some supplies and prepare IN CASE the hurricane comes your way. Contrast that to not being prepared in any way. I think I'd rather be prepared at least somewhat... Thank you Mr. President!

KLAMarine said:
the-pi-guy said:

2.) "Later that day, Trump twice told reporters that Alabama was in the storm's path, first saying outside of Marine One that "Alabama is going to get a piece of it, it looks like," and later, at a Federal Emergency Management Agency briefing, saying the storm "may get a little piece of a great place: It's called Alabama.""

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald-trump/trump-again-defends-claim-hurricane-dorian-could-have-hit-alabama-n1049906

1.) Said map he described as being an initial forecast as in no longer accurate.

2.) "it looks like", "may get", typical language when it comes to weather forecasts.

3.) "was going to be hit or grazed, and then Hurricane Dorian took a different path (up along the East Coast)" more speculative language.

Again, pretty typical stuff in weather forecasts. "A chance of rain" as in no guarantee.

Are people angry Trump may have encouraged people to be prepared for a potential hurricane? Sounds pretty sensible: buy some supplies and prepare IN CASE the hurricane comes your way. Contrast that to not being prepared in any way. I think I'd rather be prepared at least somewhat... Thank you Mr. President!

Lol, he doctored a map come on dude I know you want to believe the guy but this is getting funny.  Anyway, you just keep hope alive.  I am sure there will be plenty more times you can come save Trump from himself.

KLAMarine said:
the-pi-guy said:

No, people are not angry Trump may have encouraged people to be prepared for a hurricane.  People are angry that this idiot when making a mistake cannot just state he made a mistake instead of double down on it making people prepare for a Hurricane that will not hit them.  I personally who have been through a few Hurricanes and know what the effort it takes to prepare would love it when someone makes a mistake to just admit it so I do not spend a crap ton of money preparing my home for something that will not be effected.   

Around the Network

Machiavellian said:
KLAMarine said:

Lol, he doctored a map come on dude I know you want to believe the guy but this is getting funny.  Anyway, you just keep hope alive.  I am sure there will be plenty more times you can come save Trump from himself.

At the end of the video you showed me, he essentially claims to have no idea what the heck that mark was. It didn't sound like he had anything to do with it.

Machiavellian said:
KLAMarine said:

No, people are not angry Trump may have encouraged people to be prepared for a hurricane.  People are angry that this idiot when making a mistake cannot just state he made a mistake instead of double down on it making people prepare for a Hurricane that will not hit them.  I personally who have been through a few Hurricanes and know what the effort it takes to prepare would love it when someone makes a mistake to just admit it so I do not spend a crap ton of money preparing my home for something that will not be effected.   

Angry a weather forecast may have been wrong? That's how weather forecasts work: there's potential they could be wrong. A hurricane heading one way could change direction. You could try to predict where it's heading, a perfectly reasonable thing for anyone to do with the chance that one could be wrong.

the-pi-guy said:
KLAMarine said:

1.)  It wasn't just outdated it was altered to include Alabama.  Which is illegal.

2.)  i know you're going to find any little wiggle room for an interpretation of events to make this look better than it is, but you're not convincing anyone else.  

3.)  Because a hurricane that requires emergency procedures, often including evacuation is just like rain.  

1.) So who altered it?

2.) So are you going to disagree that weather forecasts have elements of uncertainty? Do you want to tell me they're always 100% certain?

3.) They're both weather patterns and they're both comparable in the sense that they're both not 100% predictable.

KLAMarine said:

Machiavellian said:

At the end of the video you showed me, he essentially claims to have no idea what the heck that mark was. It didn't sound like he had anything to do with it.

Lol, are you kidding me.  You expect him to admit that either him or someone in his administration did not doctored up that chart.  There comes a time when you have to stop believing everyone else is an idiot.  There is 2 things happening with you.  Either you have not followed this whole stupid mess from the beginning or you are playing the fool.  I am not sure which it is yet but I am calling my local popcorn store for a large bag of salt and vinegar popcorn as you continue to defend this BS.

Machiavellian said:

Angry a weather forecast may have been wrong? That's how weather forecasts work: there's potential they could be wrong. A hurricane heading one way could change direction. You could try to predict where it's heading, a perfectly reasonable thing for anyone to do with the chance that one could be wrong.

You still do not get it.  Everyone knows that a forecast can change.  The problem is that there was never a forecast that included Alabama.  It was something he could have easily stated was a mistake, incorrect data you name it but he didn't.  He double down first that the hurricane would hit Alabama then when everyone told him he was wrong, he doctored up a chart to try and prove he wasn't wrong.  Either you followed the whole thing or you did not, either way it's looking bad for you to continue to blithely act like this is normal.  You tried that trick the last time and it blew up in your face, trying it again really makes you look bad.

Machiavellian said:
KLAMarine said:

Lol, are you kidding me.  You expect him to admit that either him or someone in his administration did not doctored up that chart.  There comes a time when you have to stop believing everyone else is an idiot.  There is 2 things happening with you.  Either you have not followed this whole stupid mess from the beginning or you are playing the fool.  I am not sure which it is yet but I am calling my local popcorn store for a large bag of salt and vinegar popcorn as you continue to defend this BS.

You still do not get it.  Everyone knows that a forecast can change.  The problem is that there was never a forecast that included Alabama.  It was something he could have easily stated was a mistake, incorrect data you name it but he didn't.  He double down first that the hurricane would hit Alabama then when everyone told him he was wrong, he doctored up a chart to try and prove he wasn't wrong.  Either you followed the whole thing or you did not, either way it's looking bad for you to continue to blithely act like this is normal.  You tried that trick the last time and it blew up in your face, trying it again really makes you look bad.

"He double down first that the hurricane would hit Alabama then when everyone told him he was wrong, he doctored up a chart to try and prove he wasn't wrong."

When did he try to prove this? Do me the favor of showing when this happened.

KLAMarine said:
Machiavellian said:

"He double down first that the hurricane would hit Alabama then when everyone told him he was wrong, he doctored up a chart to try and prove he wasn't wrong."

Why don't you look it up yourself.  I am not playing the 20 question game from you.

Machiavellian said:
KLAMarine said:

Why don't you look it up yourself.  I am not playing the 20 question game from you.

How convenient. Well here's what I know:

When President Trump was holding up the map with the black marking on it, he went on to say "you see, it was going to hit not only Florida but Georgia. It could have, was going toward the gulf. That was what we, what was originally projected. And it took a right turn and ultimately, hopefully we're gonna be lucky. It depends on what happens with South Carolina, North Carolina. But it's heading up the coast and Florida was grazed, mostly wind and we're gonna have a report on that."

(see 0:11 of video)

"you see, it was going to hit not only Florida but Georgia. It could have, was going toward the gulf. That was what we, what was originally projected."

>What this tells me is when the hurricane was on a nearly-flat, slightly north trajectory heading west, they (Trump says "we", don't know who that is) predicted it would go on its suspected, predictable path meaning hitting Florida, Georgia, and potentially affecting Alabama as well. Trump then provides an update.

"And it took a right turn and ultimately, hopefully we're gonna be lucky. It depends on what happens with South Carolina, North Carolina. But it's heading up the coast and Florida was grazed, mostly wind and we're gonna have a report on that."

>Trump here acknowledges the new development that the hurricane was now heading north, not west as predicted earlier.

At no point did Trump try to use this chart to "prove he wasn't wrong."

At 6:10, he reiterates what was initially thought of where the hurricane was heading (map is harder to see unfortunately).

"This is the original path that we thought. And everybody thought that this was about a 95% probability and it turned out to be not that bad. It turned out to be a path going up the coast."

SpokenTruth said:
KLAMarine said:

A lot of what he said sounded hypothetical. That's pretty normal in weather forecasting: there's always a degree of uncertainty.

But no forecast ever said Alabama, he did. And the long term trajectory models had been updated numerous times before he first ever mentioned Alabama.

And apparently telling a state you may be in danger when it isn't is a bad thing because the National Weather Service itself had to issue a correction. Do you realize the potential damage and costs of engaging emergency operations at the city, county and state government level?  Resource allocation that may get planned such as food, water, repairmen, services, etc...that could be better allocated to the correct states?  The costs of businesses preparing to shut down expensive infrastructure and computer hardware or diverting communications to cold site or disaster recovery facilities? The costs of eople buying provisions and emergency rations when they are already economically struggling as so many in Alabama already are?  The lost work hours for those that may have called out of work to prepare?  And on and on and on.

There is a reason that modifying a weather report is a federal crime.

"But no forecast ever said Alabama, he did."

>Well he said "we", not "I" in the video above. Don't know who that means, I don't know who Trump has spoken to but looking at the initial map, I don't think it's a stretch to think that the hurricane could continue west and affecting Alabama to an extent.

"And the long term trajectory models had been updated numerous times before he first ever mentioned Alabama."

>Can you show me these models?

"And apparently telling a state you may be in danger when it isn't is a bad thing because the National Weather Service itself had to issue a correction."

>Not unusual: as things develop, as information filters through, corrections may be necessary.

"Do you realize the potential damage and costs of engaging emergency operations at the city, county and state government level?  Resource allocation that may get planned such as food, water, repairmen, services, etc...that could be better allocated to the correct states?  The costs of businesses preparing to shut down expensive infrastructure and computer hardware or diverting communications to cold site or disaster recovery facilities? The costs of eople buying provisions and emergency rations when they are already economically struggling as so many in Alabama already are?  The lost work hours for those that may have called out of work to prepare?  And on and on and on."

There is a reason that modifying a weather report is a federal crime."

>Reviewing what you posted earlier, "Whoever knowingly issues or publishes any counterfeit weather forecast or warning of weather conditions falsely representing such forecast or warning to have been issued or published by the Weather Bureau, United States Signal Service, or other branch of the Government service, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both."

I don't think Trump qualifies: it says "knowingly" as in the issuer knows what they're saying is false or counterfeit. Trump sounds very sincere in his efforts to anticipate where the hurricane was heading, it does not sound purposefully deceptive. I don't think it's against the law to speculate on where a hurricane might head based on what is currently known.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 05 September 2019