By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51
John2290 said:
RaptorChrist said:
Glad to see this thread maintaining traction, and a few more people picking up the game. I managed to beat the Old Monk second try (almost first try but I wasn't prepared for a boss fight to start and even though I tried warping back to the shrine, the animation takes so long I ended up being forced to fight).

That unlocked me a new mechanic for exploration. I remembered a few places where this could be used, and traveled around collecting some items, but there are most certainly areas I just don't remember. The one I remembered most led to my third Headless boss. I was completely out of confetti for this one, but I think my stats were upgraded enough to where it wasn't too difficult with just the terror-removing item.

Now I've got 16 vitality and 8 attack power, and 9 healing sips. I also found two more prayer beads (one in a super clever location that seemed to require me to jump out of the water to get enough height to grapple into a building).

I really want to play more today, but I'm trying to limit myself to a couple hours per day so I don't finish it too quickly. We'll see how that holds up.

As for GotY? For me, this and RE2 remake are fine contenders. I played through RE2 remake three times, but it is a shorter game. Maybe once I finish this game I'll be able to make a decision.

Okay, The list I am using must be incomplete with prayer beads, bosses or treaure chests cause I'm well ahead of you, many mini bosses and and treasure chests ahead and I just unlocked 18 VIT. I was on 15 VIT when I done the monk, how the hell did you manage 17 VIT? I'm bloody confused now as to what bosses but according to the list I have, I've done everything but a few headless bosses. By any chance did you pick up those  and I don't want to spoil it, really well hidden prayer beads before the monk  the ones you'd never find without a guide?

I'm going to have to sweep all areas again before I move on to what I assume is the final boss or at least the penultimate boss for me. 

Maybe you forgot about underwater exploration, found some through that.

Nintendo Switch FC: SW-6340-7643-4233 aka Renji

Steam: Lee Roid

Around the Network
John2290 said:

Okay, The list I am using must be incomplete with prayer beads, bosses or treaure chests cause I'm well ahead of you, many mini bosses and and treasure chests ahead and I just unlocked 18 VIT. I was on 15 VIT when I done the monk, how the hell did you manage 17 VIT? I'm bloody confused now as to what bosses but according to the list I have, I've done everything but a few headless bosses. By any chance did you pick up those  and I don't want to spoil it, really well hidden prayer beads before the monk  the ones you'd never find without a guide?

I'm going to have to sweep all areas again before I move on to what I assume is the final boss or at least the penultimate boss for me. 

The prayer bead before the monk in the house was the only one I can recall in that area that I would consider really well hidden. I got the water mechanic and found one under the water shortly before that. I did feel pretty special finding that bead though.

I'm one bead away from 17 vitality now. I ended up playing a bit more and went back to ashina castle and collected most of the idols a second time. I fought a pretty tough mini-boss to get a bead at the great serpent shrine. He was tough as balls and I managed to get super lucky on my third attempt and he ended up doing the same moves multiple times in a row letting me posture break him.

I also fought the underwater headless. But when I go through an area I fully explore every possible part of the zones, walking along the edges of pretty much every path to look around for things. I've probably missed some stuff, but I have beaten every mini boss up until this point, and that's where a lot of my beads have come from. My achilles heel is that I have a bad memory, so I oftentimes forget to backtrack to areas when there is something I can't collect right away. Hoping to finish the game with all the beads, but we'll see.

Edit: Is there a way to check playtime? I have quite a lot of playtime due to how much I explore, and some of the trickiest fights have been with those mid-bosses. The three story pagoda mid-boss and lady butterfly are by far the fights I spent the most time on though.

Ahhh, Saturday night. Sekiro plus a 14-piece order of bone-in bbq chicken wings from Dominos. Doesn't get much better than this.

John2290 said:
RaptorChrist said:

The prayer bead before the monk in the house was the only one I can recall in that area that I would consider really well hidden. I got the water mechanic and found one under the water shortly before that. I did feel pretty special finding that bead though.

I'm one bead away from 17 vitality now. I ended up playing a bit more and went back to ashina castle and collected most of the idols a second time. I fought a pretty tough mini-boss to get a bead at the great serpent shrine. He was tough as balls and I managed to get super lucky on my third attempt and he ended up doing the same moves multiple times in a row letting me posture break him.

I also fought the underwater headless. But when I go through an area I fully explore every possible part of the zones, walking along the edges of pretty much every path to look around for things. I've probably missed some stuff, but I have beaten every mini boss up until this point, and that's where a lot of my beads have come from. My achilles heel is that I have a bad memory, so I oftentimes forget to backtrack to areas when there is something I can't collect right away. Hoping to finish the game with all the beads, but we'll see.

You are way more skilled than me, the guy at the serpent shrine took me no less than 10 attempts before I realized I could stealth him and then another 5 or so after that to kill him and boy was it messy. 

Have you gotten to the fight at the top of the castle yet? And if so which one did you get? 

No, not yet I haven't. But that's going to be pretty much the next place for me to go. I did see some enemy through the gate at the bottom of the castle which I'm going to look into first, and then make my way to the top. Might not be until tomorrow though. And holy crap you can stealth him? I swear I walked in stealthed but he was aware of me before I could get close. And no, I base my victory on pure luck, and I heard the garage door start to open in the middle of the fight and I knew my wife had arrived with our dinner, so it was a now or never (later) fight.

Edit: You replied while I was in the middle of my edit, so I dunno if you saw my last bit.

John2290 said:
RaptorChrist said:

No, not yet I haven't. But that's going to be pretty much the next place for me to go. I did see some enemy through the gate at the bottom of the castle which I'm going to look into first, and then make my way to the top. Might not be until tomorrow though. And holy crap you can stealth him? I swear I walked in stealthed but he was aware of me before I could get close. And no, I base my victory on pure luck, and I heard the garage door start to open in the middle of the fight and I knew my wife had arrived with our dinner, so it was a now or never (later) fight.

Edit: You replied while I was in the middle of my edit, so I dunno if you saw my last bit.

There doesn't seem to be a way to get accurate playtime, I just checked the save file there and nothing stamped on it but the date, suppose you just have to roughly gauge what time you put in over the last 11 days, personally I've lost count but I'd imagine it is quite a bit as I've not been playing much else. 

Just click on load game, you can see your play time there, didn't even know I'm at 39hrs now, 15mins shy of 40hrs.

Around the Network

So i just beat the

Spoiler!
Divine Dogeh(lel)

, this was the easiest boss fight I have encountered. Not including the

Spoiler!
(Folding Screen Monkeys)

don't really consider them as Bosses.

Spoiler!

I thought I lost my touch after two days rest.

John2290 said:
Sunstrider said:

Just click on load game, you can see your play time there, didn't even know I'm at 39hrs now, 15mins shy of 40hrs.

Good Lord, 80 for me but there is no way in hell I've played 80 hours in 11 days, A lot of that has to be AFK time, I did fall asleep with it running one of the nights there and have left it on quite a bit while I do other shit. I'd say 50 absolute max of non AFK time and even then that is a painful amount of time.

I will say, do not watch any speed runs especially this guy distortion2.  Under an hour for the whole game and hitting just about every boss.  Not only that but some of the toughest ones he breezes through.  Makes me feel very old.

Oh, cool! My playtime is at 66 hours; probably 55 or so legit hours, the rest afk as is the case with John. I played a bit more tonight and beat Great Shinobi Owl (that was the boss I ended up getting). I made it to the final area of the game (as denoted by an achievement I acquired for visiting all areas) and then I faced Corrupted Monk. After a few tries I had this odd behavior where the boss allowed me to deathblow him in the middle of his shadow phase, otherwise I may not have won the fight. I got another vitality upgrade putting me at 17, with 10 attack power now.

That boss was a girl? :O

John2290 said:
RaptorChrist said:
Oh, cool! My playtime is at 66 hours; probably 55 or so legit hours, the rest afk as is the case with John. I played a bit more tonight and beat Great Shinobi Owl (that was the boss I ended up getting). I made it to the final area of the game (as denoted by an achievement I acquired for visiting all areas) and then I faced Corrupted Monk. After a few tries I had this odd behavior where the boss allowed me to deathblow him in the middle of his shadow phase, otherwise I may not have won the fight. I got another vitality upgrade putting me at 17, with 10 attack power now.

That boss was a girl? :O

How are you doing this? The owl is the Boss that took me six hours, mind I wasn't at 17 VIT and had the Demon bell on but still I...

Spoiler!
Am now fighting him again  in a memory and I'm still dying at 19 VIT attack 11, not nearly as much as before but...

...how dude? How old are you? Are my reflexes just gone with age or do I suck balls? How many attempts did the owl take you? 

Six hours?...I´m not going to have the patience for that...no boss in any Dark Souls game and Bloodborne took me that long but I can see it easily happening here.We´re not getting any younger and this game in many situations demands lightning fast reflexes in a way that DS and BB could only dream of.

Its on the list....this Mountain of a backlog I got

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi