By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Digital Foundry : Google Stadia Specs Analysis + Exclusive Performance Testing

Are cloud gaming the future of gaming ?

Yes 16 30.19%

No 19 35.85%

Somehow 11 20.75%

Not Quite 7 13.21%

Total:53

Sure the GPU isn't from their pro range?

Around the Network
gemini_d@rk said:
Its a beta test in 2018, no?

you probably should watch te video

Lafiel said:
pretty good input lag performance on DF's test there, keeping up with a local X1X (both running the game in 30fps)

Idk..... but I will just say this. There is no way that something that is running locally will be worse or the same with something that needs to go out and come back to your display. Its just not possible. Especially if dealing with comparable hardware. 

kirby007 said:
Now that i watched the full video latency being on par with xbx, OP u biased much?

This is probably a bias making you see only what you want to see type thing.

If anyone can pull off streamed gaming at the highest possible quality and convenience it's google. Let's see and watch if they do.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I want physical hardware.

I dont care if input lag is only 20 ms worse or so, when streaming, its 20 ms too much.
I dont want compression artifacts, due to streaming and compression, when its not needed if you just had physical hardware.
I dont want to pay a subscription, have games locked behinde it. (I want a box that plays games, even 10years from now if I feel like it)

I really hope streaming isnt the future of gaming.
I believe a physical box will always be able to have a slight edge, when it comes to Image Quality + latency, and theres some die hard collectors out there that will want a physical box + disc too. So hopefully a physical box isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

But Im slightly worried now that everyone seems to be putting so much focus on streaming.
Is it really needed?

Last edited by JRPGfan - on 20 March 2019

JRPGfan said:

I dont care if input lag is only 20 ms worse or so, when streaming, its 20 ms too much.
I dont want compression artifacts, due to streaming and compression, when its not needed if you just had physical hardware.
I dont want to pay a subscription, have games locked behinde it. (I want a box that plays games, even 10years from now if I feel like it)

I believe a physical box will always be able to have a slight edge, when it comes to Image Quality + latency, and theres some die hard collectors out there that will want a physical box + disc too. So hopefully a physical box isnt going anywhere anytime soon.

But Im slightly worried now that everyone seems to be putting so much focus on streaming.
Is it really needed?

Publishers are really interesting in getting full control over the distribution of games, and even digital only is becoming too unruly for them. Streaming guarantees full control of their software (always online by default, no piracy, no ownership of the software bought, no competition with older and cheaper software, the ability to erase one game from existence if they needed to...). Considering how long they've been campaigning against physical media, it's no wonder this "Netflix of videogames" is getting so much interest on their part.

Of course, this is all incredibly dangerous on a consumer level. We'd be at the mercy of big publishers, and that has proven harmful to the extreme in regards of consumer rights.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
JRPGfan said:

Is it really needed?

Publishers are really interesting in getting full control over the distribution of games, and even digital only is becoming too unruly for them. Streaming guarantees full control of their software (always online by default, no piracy, no ownership of the software bought, no competition with older and cheaper software, the ability to erase one game from existence if they needed to...). Considering how long they've been campaigning against physical media, it's no wonder this "Netflix of videogames" is getting so much interest on their part.

Of course, this is all incredibly dangerous on a consumer level. We'd be at the mercy of big publishers, and that has proven harmful to the extreme in regards of consumer rights.

"no ownership of the software bought."
"no competition with older and cheaper software."
"the ability to erase one game from existence if they needed to."

Yep no way Id go streaming for games.

Ganoncrotch said:
Lafiel said:
pretty good input lag performance on DF's test there, keeping up with a local X1X (both running the game in 30fps)

Keep in mind they were using a net connection that was 200MBps, that's 8 times faster than 200Mbps btw, so ... yeah around 16 times what I have right now.

no, they said in the video they don't know the Google connection in the Stadia test (but Google also offered a 15Mb mode to test subpar conditions) and their test with Project Stream at home was on a 200Mb connection

Last edited by Lafiel - on 20 March 2019

Lafiel said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Keep in mind they were using a net connection that was 200MBps, that's 8 times faster than 200Mbps btw, so ... yeah around 16 times what I have right now.

no, they said in the video they don't know the Google connection in the Stadia test (but Google also offered a 15Mb mode to test subpar conditions) and their test with Project Stream at home was on a 200Mb connection

At the 12 minute mark on screen it says 200MBPS but he does say what sounds like MegaBits in the audio so it's either confusing text by all using caps or what he says is incorrect. Either way that's still double my current connection and that's a connection which I've got because I have a ton of tech to make use of it.

Are they really gunning for the customer who has a 200Mb connection but only has it for their ipad or laptop with no graphics card? does that customer exist in a lot of places? I would think the ones with the net fast enough to make use of this would already have some hardware at the end of that connection capable of gaming.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Lafiel said:

At the 12 minute mark on screen it says 200MBPS but he does say what sounds like MegaBits in the audio so it's either confusing text by all using caps or what he says is incorrect. Either way that's still double my current connection and that's a connection which I've got because I have a ton of tech to make use of it.

Are they really gunning for the customer who has a 200Mb connection but only has it for their ipad or laptop with no graphics card? does that customer exist in a lot of places? I would think the ones with the net fast enough to make use of this would already have some hardware at the end of that connection capable of gaming.

12.47 15mbs thank you for watching the full video

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Unfortunately streaming and cloud based games as service are the future of gaming. I don't like it one bit.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar