By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Official 2020 US Election: Democratic Party Discussion

Cerebralbore101 said:
LurkerJ said:

Unfortunately Tucker is the reasonable one on this issue. Bernie limitless reach to illegal immigrants is insanity. 

I'm going to need sources for a few of the "facts" he stated.

Bernie being against illegal immigration in the past. Source?

Bernie wanting to outright stop all deportations, even those of hardened criminals. Source?

As far as decriminalizing border crossings, he is doing it because border patrol has killed kids via neglect in detention centers.

"Bernie hates the country he seeks to lead!"- Hahahahahaha!!! Right. Typical Faux News.

Also laughing at him saying our healthcare and universities are so good. Yeah right! They are expensive as hell, and bankrupt people. Healthcare and College are both practices in extreme price gouging. Treating a snake bite can cost up to $150,000 in the USA. In another country it would be as low as $100. A single Halls cough drop costs $10 at some hospitals. "The country" is already paying for healthcare and college. It's just on the individual level, and not the tax level. If you remove the price gouging from the equation, giving free healthcare and college is easy. How do we pay for it all? Well, you see, we give free college away, so that citizens become more productive raising GDP, which raises tax revenue.

Also, we need a large influx of young people in this country to offset the baby boomers all retiring. Otherwise we'll have an upside down population pyramid, which is bad for an economy.

You do know I am a Bernie supporter, and I acknowledge Tucker point of view doesn't match mine, however, it doesn't mean that Bernie appetite to help illegal immigrants is justifiable or reasonable. The guy wants to give free healthcare to anyone who makes it to the US, it's not a secrete, you just can't make that happen, and it's not just an issue of money. 

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders sees himself as a champion of American workers first and foremost. For years, that also made the third-term senator reflexively skeptical of increased immigration, viewing it as a potential threat to American jobs and wages.

Sanders broke with prominent Democrats to oppose a key comprehensive immigration reform bill in 2007 that would have provided a path to citizenship for millions of unauthorized immigrants living in the US. He opposed measures to increase the number of guest workers and offer green cards to citizens of countries with low levels of immigration. And he once voted for an amendment supporting a group of vigilantes that sought to take immigration enforcement into their own hands along the border (though he has since disavowed the group.)

As Sanders runs for president for a second time, though, his views have evolved to integrate his old-school labor protectionism with a more diverse and pro-immigration Democratic Party. And he’s now embracing the most progressive immigration proposals of the field, including placing a moratorium on deportations (with some exceptions) and decriminalizing the act of crossing the border without authorization.

He still believes that immigrants who aren’t paid a living wage will drive down wages overall. But he no longer suggests immigrant workers and American-born ones are pitted against each other. Instead, he’s focusing on what the two groups have in common: Both need protection from abusive employers and big business, higher wages, better health care, and access to higher education.

When Sanders sided with conservatives on immigration

Sanders’s views on immigration were influenced by the labor movement, which for decades opposed increasing immigration, fearing that immigrants willing to work for lower wages would hurt unions’ bargaining power. The AFL-CIO had long seen immigrants as a threat to US-born workers’ wage growth. It reversed that position abruptly in 2000, supporting a path to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants — a move that later helped coalesce Democratic support around the issue.

Sanders has supported legalizing the US’s unauthorized immigrant population since at least 2007, but he also repeatedly expressed concern that increasing immigration, particularly among guest workers, hurts US workers.

Sen. Bernie Sanders speaks with AFL-CIO president Richard Trumka before a news conference on January 31, 2013. Bill Clark/CQ Roll Call
“It does not make a lot of sense to me to bring hundreds of thousands of those workers into this country to work for minimum wage and compete with Americans kids,” Sanders said in 2013.

Sanders has never had to answer to a large immigrant constituency. While noncitizens and naturalized citizens make up about 13 percent of the population in his hometown of Burlington — on par with the nationwide share of the population that is foreign-born — they only account for about 4.5 percent of Vermont’s population overall.

Nor was he alone in being an immigration skeptic on the left during the 1990s and 2000s, when securing the border was a bipartisan issue. But on a few key immigration votes, he broke with the majority of Democrats. (All of Sanders’s votes were, essentially, symbolic: None of the votes ended up being close.)

Sanders backed an amendment in 2005 to dismantle the diversity visa lottery, under which 50,000 annually green cards are granted to citizens of countries with low levels of immigration. The program has since become a target of Trump’s ire.

In 2006, he supported the Minutemen, a civilian militia that patrolled the southern border with the aim of preventing unauthorized immigrants from crossing, voting for an amendment to bar American officials from sharing information about the group’s activities with the Mexican government after Republicans took to the House floor claiming that the vigilantes were filling a “void which the government was unable to fill.” (In 2015, Sanders’s presidential campaign dismissed it as a meaningless “nuisance amendment.”)

But perhaps his most significant break with Democrats on immigration came when he was a freshman senator in 2007. Sanders voted against President George W. Bush’s comprehensive immigration reform bill — a decision that drew criticism from Hillary Clinton during the 2016 presidential election.

The bill would have opened a pathway to citizenship for the millions of unauthorized immigrants living in the US while investing in border security. Sanders has said that he voted against the bill, which failed after the Senate voted 53-46 to table it, because of the lack of labor protections in the bill’s guest worker provisions.

“Our border is very porous,” he said during a press event at the time. “And I think at a time when the middle class is shrinking, the last thing we need is to bring over in a period of years, millions of people into this country who are prepared to lower wages for American workers.”

Sanders continued to oppose efforts to expand guest worker programs for years after the 2007 comprehensive immigration reform bill failed.

Just months later, he introduced legislation that would have given the federal government more tools to crack down on employers who abuse temporary immigrant worker programs and established protections for both those workers and US workers competing for the same jobs.

He supported an amendment from Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-IA) that would have prohibited banks receiving federal bailout funds after the 2008 financial crisis from hiring guest workers, arguing that they would otherwise have leeway to replace Americans with cheaper foreign labor.

He also opposed provisions in the 2013 comprehensive immigration reform package that would have substantially increased the number of visas available for temporary guest workers, suggesting that it would primarily benefit large corporations at the expense of unemployed Americans and the middle class. By that time, Democrats were unified in calling for a path to citizenship for unauthorized immigrants, and so Sanders eventually voted for the bill after a $1.5 billion training program for younger workers was included.

As late as July 2015, as he was making his first presidential bid, he reiterated the idea that immigration hurts American workers, even while proposing an immigration plan that was one of the most progressive of the Democratic field: He had, for example, promised to use executive action to shield unauthorized immigrants who have been living in the US for at least five years from deportation, whereas Clinton would have sought legislation to do so.

“There is a reason why Wall Street and all of corporate America likes immigration reform, and it is not, in my view, that they’re staying up nights worrying about undocumented workers in this country,” he said during a Q&A with the US Hispanic Chamber of Commerce. “What I think they are interested in is seeing a process by which we can bring low-wage labor of all levels into this country to depress wages for Americans, and I strongly disagree with that.”

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/2/25/21143931/bernie-sanders-immigration-record-explained

As to his unwillingness to deport criminals, he made it very clear that he only wants to deport those committed terrible terrible terrible crimes: 

“If someone has been convicted of a terrible, terrible crime, that might be an exception to the rule,” Sanders said. “A moratorium on 99% of deportations is nothing to sniff at, and I think the undocumented community would be very proud of that.“

I don't understand what does terrible even mean, inviting people to cross the border and telling them you will only deport them if you commit a terrible terrible crime opens the door for "non-terrible" crimes to happen which is ridiculous.

Forget Tucker for a second.

What is the outcome of Sander's immigration policies? Really, what are they?

- Decriminalize border crossing, allow those who overstay their visas to stay, bring down the walls and the fences, prevent deportations unless heinous crimes happen, commit to free healthcare & education, provide a path to citizenship to anyone who makes to the US. What is the expected outcome of all of this? 

Around the Network

Buttigieg drops out of the race: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/pete-buttigieg-drops-out-of-20202-race-to-be-democratic-presidential-nominee

Now that was unexpected to say the least!

Mnementh said:

Analysis from Nate Silver: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-bidens-big-south-carolina-win-might-mean-for-sanders/

One point that I'm not seeing is spending. Biden did pour more money into SC than into all Super Tuesday states combined. He really had to win this to even just stay in the race. 

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 01 March 2020

Damn, Pete really wants moderates/centrists to win. Democratic establishment above all.

This is gonna sound PC, but I really loved the fact that a gay nominee was making such inroads. Can't imagine how much better he could've done better if he ran on a progressive platform**

Last edited by LurkerJ - on 01 March 2020

This is bad... this is very bad. Pete dropping out is gonna make more candidate shit the viability threshold going towards a contested convention. If Warren also dropped this would be good, but she's in it to hurt Bernie... urgh this is bad

Follow my Gaming and Graphics Business on facebook and on Twitter:

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=101878997952596&ref=br_rs

https://twitter.com/KellyGGWD

Around the Network

Second choice of Buttigieg supporters in latest national Quinnipiac poll:

Klobuchar 26%
Warren 26%
Biden 19%
Sanders 11%
Bloomberg 9%
Don’t know 2%

Very likely that Klobuchar and Warren take MN and MA respectively now. I think it's good for Biden too. More than extrapolating from second choices, delegate viability and achieving the 15% threshold is a significant concern.

NightlyPoe said:
LurkerJ said:
This is gonna sound PC, but I really loved the fact that a gay nominee was making such inroads. Can't imagine how much better he could've done better if he didn't ran on a progressive platform.

He seemed to shift between lanes at will from where I was sitting.

Yeah, Pete tried to make himself look like a progressive centrist, if that makes any sense. I tried to play them all at once to win.

Cartoon President Democratic debate in SC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0byiYMvINPo

Bernie: I defeated my heart, I can defeat you bastards!

And it's as if they knew Buttigieg was about to drop out

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 01 March 2020

Good to hear that Pete dropped. Hopefully this gives Biden a boost during Super Tuesday. At this point I'd take anyone besides Bernie, Warren, and Bloomberg.

jason1637 said:
Good to hear that Pete dropped. Hopefully this gives Biden a boost during Super Tuesday. At this point I'd take anyone besides Bernie, Warren, and Bloomberg.

Biden will get a boost - but so does everybody else. And he will probably still get quite a few votes on ST as not everybody will have heard that he dropped out by then.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
jason1637 said:

Biden will get a boost - but so does everybody else. And he will probably still get quite a few votes on ST as not everybody will have heard that he dropped out by then.

I wonder if any of the ST syates have early voting for the primary.