By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Sony in discussions to aquire Take-Two Interactive

Sony would need to take like 10 billion + dollars out of their pockets for that. I wonder how much time it would take to brake even.

Around the Network
CuCabeludo said:
Sony would need to take like 10 billion + dollars out of their pockets for that. I wonder how much time it would take to brake even.

From just take two prob 10 years. But Sony could be making 5BN+ in profits annually over the ps5 gen so they won't be short on cash. 

I find this hard to believe but I guess it wouldn't be impossible.

Damn, Take Two stock dropped pretty steeply after Sony denied the rumor. Sony just trying to drop it back down for better bargaining.

Oh well, Sony denied it. Crisis averted.

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
Manlytears said:
Do you guys think that games like GTA would lose a lot of sales if they were exclusive to PlayStation? I have my doubts...
Sincerely, considering the dominant position of the playstation and the gigantic popularity of GTA, I sincerely think that the number of copies of the game would not suffer much impact. I mean, something like 66% already
play GTA on ps4 and most of the remaining 33% would simply buy a playstation to play ...
I believe that GTA playstation exclusive would have sales level lower but still close to "GTA" multiplat, at least 85%, and playstation/PC GTA can sell over 90% of "normal sales".

Type Grand Theft Auto into the search bar at your top right and sort the results by Total Sales.  4 of the Top 10 entries are on Xbox systems, which account for 35% of those sales (not 15%).  Just on straight software, that's like what $2.28 billion in sales?  It might not be as large as the chunk they get from Sony, but that's still a massive chunk to part with.

Good sir, let me ,politely, clarify a few things here.

I never said that xbox selling share of GTA was 15%. I said that "something like 66% already play GTA on ps4 and most of the remaining 33% would simply buy a playstation to play". I said this based on the numbers on vgchartzs, that point at 19.34m copys on ps4, 8.74m copys on xbox one and 1.33m for pc, a total of 29.41m, that makes ps4 share close to 66% and other platforms close to 33%. About me ignoring lastgen user base, said on my post that "i'm considering the dominant position of the playstation", and i was only talking about current gen users that are, more than likely, the people still playing and buying GTA.On a side note, even if we include ps3 and x360, playstation still would have over 60% of users ( based on vgchartzs).

When i said "I believe that GTA playstation exclusive would have sales level lower but still close to "GTA" multiplat, at least 85%, and playstation/PC GTA can sell over 90% ...", i was clearly saying that in the case of a sony exclusivity, an expressive portion of the 33% of users who, in the current generation, played GTA on the pc or xbox would buy the game on ps4. In the case in question, I estimated that GTA could sell 85% of what it sold during the current generation, ie 66% (ps4 share) + 19% of people who would buy ps4 because they did not have the option to play GTA on xbox one or PC .

In summary, even if the current share of xbox and pc is about 33-40%, I believe that most of these users would buy a ps4 to play GTA and that the game would not have a big loss in sales! i believe that at least half of those users that play xbox / pc, 16-20%, would buy a ps4. With this, sales of GTA would be at least 80%, a loss of 20%, a loss that is not small, but definitely not something gigantic when considering the gains of having GTA as exclusive.

I also would like to post this video, please jump to 4:30.

shikamaru317 said:
thismeintiel said:

Damn, Take Two stock dropped pretty steeply after Sony denied the rumor. Sony just trying to drop it back down for better bargaining.

Or, and this is more likely, somebody had a bunch of Take-Two shares that they wanted to sell at a nice profit, so they stirred up some fake rumors about Sony buying Take-Two to boost the share value before they sold. 

For an extra $9 a share? They'd have to have a ton of shares to make screwing with the market worth it.

BraLoD said:
Faelco said:

Since Sony's headquarters moved to the US, they started to put censorship on Japanese games. They ask a complete application and presentation of the game in English (which is already a huge pain in the ass for small Japan-only devs), and they already censored several stuff, like cutting off perverted game modes or putting rays of light to hide panties. Games like Senran Kagura are apparently in clear danger, because they have to modify so much that it wouldn't be the same game, and can't really afford it (or want to).

A GTA controlled the same way would lose all his sexual or drug related content. But hey, it's surely easier to bully small Japanese devs than TT. 

What in GTA is small or japanese?

Seriously this censorship nonsense is getting really blown out off proportion.

GTA would lose "drug content" from the company that has been showing their biggest game ever with hyper realistic graphics having extreme violence.

Even as any censorship is bad Sony is not doing anything else other than try to keep some of japanese very particularly seems as "ok" content away of their mostly western playerbase where discussion about things like that are very heated.

Rockstar (like any western games) would not suffer a single bit.

I can understand that coming from some users here but not you, you are better than that and I know it.

Again, I don't approve of any censorship, none, but call an apple out for being an apple, not an orange.

That's exactly why I wrote "A GTA controlled the same way would..." (hypothesis) but "It's easier to bully small Japanese developers than Take Two".

Of course nothing will happen to big Western games. Japanese panties are bad, Western sex, drug and mass murders are cool. You can only bully smaller guys.

Why does everyone keep saying that Sony doesn't have the cash for this?

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/SNE/balance-sheet?p=SNE

1,586,329,000,000 JPY = 14,191,274,000 USD in cash.

A portion of the cost would also just be financed and added to long-term debt. Sony could definitely by TTwo for $14B.

4 ≈ One

I don't want all DC games tied to Sony after they already have rights over Spiderman. I want my damn DC games on my platform of choice, the switch

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also