By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - RUMOR: Sony in discussions to aquire Take-Two Interactive

KBG29 said:
potato_hamster said:

Weren't you saying just yesterday that they were doomed because they weren't adapting your Playstation OS across all devices model you think they need to survive? And that exclusive games alone won't save them from a future of games being streamed to people, and now you're impressed with their acquisitions of a third party that would bolster their first party lineup?

Shouldn't you be annoyed that they're spending their capital acquiring game studios instead of bolstering their game services? You can't seem to make up your mind.

So your saying, I can not adjust my position based on new information?

I don't believe Sony can continue the same success they have right now without making changes. Although I consider their current exclusives to be the greatest achievements in gaming today, I do not believe they have the selling power to sustain Sony's current success by themselves.

When you add Grand Theft Auto, NBA 2K, and Red Dead that makes a massive impact on the selling power that Sony's exclusives would have. Adding them changes the equation, it would be ignorant not to rethink my views based on this rumor.

It would make no sense to be mad over this. This purchase would add a lot of value to PS5 and PS Now, which would in turn allow them to expand their OS and Network to a larger audience. A move like this is exactly the kind of thing they need to maintain/grow their ecosystem.

There is more than one path to success. Offering greater value by expanding their hardware offerings is one. A giant increase in exclusive content is another. I would prefer to see them make better hardware and service that people buy into naturally, because they are the best in the industry, but sometimes in business you have to play a rougher game to move ahead/stay on top.

I would never be mad at Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, Google, or any other company for making big moves. The only time I get irritated is when I see companies making Billions in profits, laying people off, and not do anything to improve themselves or their industry their industry.

Are you adjusting your position? Are you now convinced that Sony doesn't need to put their playstation OS on TVs and Car Stereos if they buy Take Two instead?

You're contradicting yourself man. People have told you repeatedly there is more than one path to success for Sony, yet time and time and time again you throw you arms up every time they make it abundantly clear they're not proceeding on the path you want them to take, like a friggin Nostradamus, saying repeatedly that Sony is doomed if they don't do what you wish they would  - until apparently right now.

Adding GTA and RDR as exclusives to their platform isn't going to stop Google from eating Sony's lunch on game streaming options, which you're just convinced is the future - is it? Yet here you are acting like this will just sort out everything, when in reality, if what you believe is true on the whole hardware/OS thing, how is buying Take Two going to stop that? Wouldn't that at best just delay the inevitable downward spiral you're convinced Sony is on?

Around the Network
melbye said:
lightningfunk said:

Sony can afford it and this will exactly reinforce your point,PlayStation is whats Sony's biggest product nowadays and they need a big exclusive like GTA to fend off competition

It's going to take almost all the money Sony have to buy Take 2. It isn't happening

SONY has around $25-27billion in cash and are making $5billion per year

They can easily afford them

Mar1217 said:
lightningfunk said:

Sony made a profit or $4-5billion last year

according to the article,they need $14billion to buy Take-Two,they can easily afford it

Your talking about Total revenue buddy. Operating Income is more important in this case and it is nowhere near that number.

But as someone else said, if you ain't no accountant to Sony, don't try to guess it. (not even mentionning insiders or people swimming in financial data like ZhugeEX/Benji who already disclaimed the impossibility of it happening cuz Sony doesn't have the cash on hands to make the deal)

Sony made $5billion in Net Income which is more important than Operating Income.They made $7billion in Operating income.

I'm not talking about revenue.Sony doesn't have so low of revenue.They had $76billion of revenue last year.

Also you don't have to be an accountant at Sony.Sony is a public company and has to disclose all its financial data.

Who are the actual people in charge of T2 who would have to make this decision?

LudicrousSpeed said:

Yeah, don’t see this being real.

It’s too much money, and whatever money Sony would potentially end up paying, why wouldn’t MS/Apple/Google swoop in and offer a lot more?

Especially since two of them are apparently about to try to break into the console space. What better way to sell your Google gaming box than exclusive GTA6?

That could very well happen but there might be one obstacle

Take-Two is hugely influenced by Rockstar and they might not be comfortable being exclusive to a Google or Apple Console which nobody might buy

They also won't want their games to sell 1/5th of gamers like they do now on Xbox

Also this seems like a shit deal for TT. Tons of their games rely on recurring revenue with the GaaS model. Cutting out large portions of their sales isn’t something only felt with the sales numbers but also a massive drop in recurring revenue.

If SONY buys Take-Two,this is a 100% ownership,Take-Two won't worry on which platform their games sell and how much they sell.They will already have been paid.

They are also getting a 40% premium on their Stock Price with this deal

Also what changes would be made to their dev cycle if a company bought them out? You think any of the four listed would continue to be ok with 1 GTA or 1 Borderlands or 1 Red Dead per generation?

i think SONY will be absolutely fine with this

Around the Network

potato_hamster said:
KBG29 said:

So your saying, I can not adjust my position based on new information?

I don't believe Sony can continue the same success they have right now without making changes. Although I consider their current exclusives to be the greatest achievements in gaming today, I do not believe they have the selling power to sustain Sony's current success by themselves.

When you add Grand Theft Auto, NBA 2K, and Red Dead that makes a massive impact on the selling power that Sony's exclusives would have. Adding them changes the equation, it would be ignorant not to rethink my views based on this rumor.

It would make no sense to be mad over this. This purchase would add a lot of value to PS5 and PS Now, which would in turn allow them to expand their OS and Network to a larger audience. A move like this is exactly the kind of thing they need to maintain/grow their ecosystem.

There is more than one path to success. Offering greater value by expanding their hardware offerings is one. A giant increase in exclusive content is another. I would prefer to see them make better hardware and service that people buy into naturally, because they are the best in the industry, but sometimes in business you have to play a rougher game to move ahead/stay on top.

I would never be mad at Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple, Google, or any other company for making big moves. The only time I get irritated is when I see companies making Billions in profits, laying people off, and not do anything to improve themselves or their industry their industry.

Are you adjusting your position? Are you now convinced that Sony doesn't need to put their playstation OS on TVs and Car Stereos if they buy Take Two instead?

You're contradicting yourself man. People have told you repeatedly there is more than one path to success for Sony, yet time and time and time again you throw you arms up every time they make it abundantly clear they're not proceeding on the path you want them to take, like a friggin Nostradamus, saying repeatedly that Sony is doomed if they don't do what you wish they would  - until apparently right now.

Adding GTA and RDR as exclusives to their platform isn't going to stop Google from eating Sony's lunch on game streaming options, which you're just convinced is the future - is it? Yet here you are acting like this will just sort out everything, when in reality, if what you believe is true on the whole hardware/OS thing, how is buying Take Two going to stop that? Wouldn't that at best just delay the inevitable downward spiral you're convinced Sony is on?

I'm only adjusting my position on exclusives, in theory, based on this improbable rumor.

It does not change my stance on them needing to expand their ecosystem. I even said in the post you quoted, that this is the kind of thing they need to expand their OS and Network to a larger market.

I'm only saying their is more than one path to success in a world were Sony is willing to buy out major exclusives such as GTA and RD. That is something that would never have crossed most peoples mind, and is still unbelievable even with this rumor floating around. So, yes, Sony could buy their way to success, or they can earn their way to success. That is what I said above, but I wasn't direct about it, now you should understand what I meant before.

I do believe streaming is going to be a big part of gaming in the future, but so is VR, AR, and traditional gaming via both home and mobile device. Nothing can be ignored by any company serious about Hardware, Software, and Services.

Where did I say that this would sort everything out, and stop Google? All I am saying is this would give Sony a good start to the streaming game. I didn't say after this Sony can retire, and let PlayStation dominate for the rest of time. The war never ends.

You are spot on with the end though. Yes, I believe this would only be a stop gap fix. Buying Take Two would allow them continue momentum/growth, but only short term. If they don't expand the ecosystem, they will fail, it is only a matter of time. That is a constant, you have to grow or you die.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

LudicrousSpeed said:
 You think any of the four listed would continue to be ok with 1 GTA or 1 Borderlands or 1 Red Dead per generation?

Considering it looks very likely that we will get 1 Uncharted, 1 The Last of Us, 1 God of War, 1 Killzone, 1 Horizon, 1 Bloodborne, 1 Infamous, 1 Days Gone, and 1 Gran Turismo on PS4, I think Sony is perfectly fine with 1 GTA, 1 Boarderlands, and 1 Red Dead on PS5.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

KBG29 said:
LudicrousSpeed said:
 You think any of the four listed would continue to be ok with 1 GTA or 1 Borderlands or 1 Red Dead per generation?

Considering it looks very likely that we will get 1 Uncharted, 1 The Last of Us, 1 God of War, 1 Killzone, 1 Horizon, 1 Bloodborne, 1 Infamous, 1 Days Gone, and 1 Gran Turismo on PS4, I think Sony is perfectly fine with 1 GTA, 1 Boarderlands, and 1 Red Dead on PS5.

It would be one GTA or one Red Dead not one of each of this gen was any indication and with the amount of money they’d need to pay I don’t doubt that they’d want a big increase in production from companies like Rockstar and Gearbox. Also Bloodborne is not even a Sony game. Some of those franchises you listed are from the same developer... good luck getting that output from some of the Take Two teams. Youd be getting Uncharted OR LoU. Killzone OR Horizon. Infamous OR Ghosts.

Any of those four companies buying TT would be bad for the dev teams, they’d all want more content sooner.

KBG29 said:

potato_hamster said:

I'm only adjusting my position on exclusives, in theory, based on this improbable rumor.

It does not change my stance on them needing to expand their ecosystem. I even said in the post you quoted, that this is the kind of thing they need to expand their OS and Network to a larger market.

I'm only saying their is more than one path to success in a world were Sony is willing to buy out major exclusives such as GTA and RD. That is something that would never have crossed most peoples mind, and is still unbelievable even with this rumor floating around. So, yes, Sony could buy their way to success, or they can earn their way to success. That is what I said above, but I wasn't direct about it, now you should understand what I meant before.

I do believe streaming is going to be a big part of gaming in the future, but so is VR, AR, and traditional gaming via both home and mobile device. Nothing can be ignored by any company serious about Hardware, Software, and Services.

Where did I say that this would sort everything out, and stop Google? All I am saying is this would give Sony a good start to the streaming game. I didn't say after this Sony can retire, and let PlayStation dominate for the rest of time. The war never ends.

You are spot on with the end though. Yes, I believe this would only be a stop gap fix. Buying Take Two would allow them continue momentum/growth, but only short term. If they don't expand the ecosystem, they will fail, it is only a matter of time. That is a constant, you have to grow or you die.

So before this improbable rumor, you didn't think that adding some of the most popular games in the world as exclusives would be a good thing? What position did this rumor change, exactly?

... and now you think that adding several third party studios into their first party stable would... "expand their OS and network to a larger market"? How, exactly? Have you seen how many PS4s Sony has sold? Do you see how games like Grand Theft Auto V and Red Dead Redemption II sell on playstation platforms already? How does this expand Sony's market? Sony's market already has access to these games, and will for the foreseeable future. Anyone that is interested in the games Take Two puts out already can buy a Playstation 4 and play them all.

Sony has a history of security major third party titles as exclusives (Final Fantasy VII says hello) how would this be unexpected for Sony to do something they have done since they entered the market as a console manufacturer? Why wouldn't something like this cross people's minds? The only reason people think it sounds a bit ridiculous is because of Take Two's success over recent years. Up until GTA V came out and people got wind of GTA V's sales and profits of online microtransactions, no one would think it would be crazy at all for a company like Sony to buy take two.

If you think streaming, VR or AR is going to become mainstream in the next decade or so, you're going to have to start preparing yourself for disappointment. VR/AR is successful as its ever been and it's sales appear to be stagnating across the board. At this rate it's looking like PSVR will end up selling its first two million units faster than their next two million units, and that's the most popular VR headset by far. It appears that the biggest publishers that dabbled in VR modes for big franchises are already moving on (see Codemasters having a VR Mode in Dirt Rally, but not Dirt Rally 2.0 as one example) and as for streaming - well, We've been told that it's going to be taking over gaming since the PS3. Sony bought Gaikai in 2012 for pete sake. Is video game streaming meaningfully more popular today than it was five years ago? Or is it one of this things that is always on the verge of taking off but never really does?

But you're wrong, there's nothing wrong with not growing when you're dominating your industry. If Apple was selling 99% of smart phones made every year, are they dieing if sales stagnate and they don't manage to get that final 1%? Of course not . But, then again, that's not to say that Sony isn't growing. They're just not growing in the way you want them to, so you ignore it.

It would be 100 fold cheaper to use one of their 1st party studios to develop a GTA clone than buying take two.

Last edited by CuCabeludo - on 14 March 2019