By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom Says They Might Consider Porting Devil May Cry 5 to Switch if Dragon's Dogma Sells Well

Tagged games:

zorg1000 said:
V-r0cK said:
The gamer side in me feels the pain, but the business side can try and understand Capcom's reasons.

I cant because what other business does this?

Disney: Want to see Avengers: Endgame in theaters? Well we might release it if you buy the 4K Blu-Ray of Mary Poppins Returns.

If you think other business don't do this practice then you're sadly mistaken.  It's just many businesses dont say it like how Capcom says it because clearly you can tell it sounds stupid and will just receive a lot of backlash.

One thought could be that Capcom has a set budget for each console so for Capcom to produce more for Switch they rely on making more money from Switch which is why they require DD to sell well on Switch? But that's just a thought (of many), who knows how their business is run or what the shareholders want.  Only way to truly know is to be at their boardroom meetings lol

Around the Network
Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:
Every game is a test, if sales aren't good they have to change the strategy. Be it not putting that type of game on the system, or improving said game, etc. Just that most companies aren't open on it.

Dragon's Dogma sold .04m copies on Xbox One, and Capcom still released Devil May Cry 5 on Xbox One.  So, this confirms that Dragon's Dogma only has to sell .04m copies on Switch to be considered a success, correct?

Porting between the X1, PS4, and (Windows) PC is relatively easy because they all share the same architecture and have enough power between them to not have to gimp on any assets. That is not true with a potential Switch version. Nintendo decided to not even attempt parity with the PS4/X1 and thus any port job of a game that uses the extent of resources that the PS4/X1 has will require at least some tweaking to get it running on a Switch. If Nintendo released a console with similar specs as PS4/X1 and based on x86 architecture then Capcom easily could have ported DMC5/RE2 Remake/etc. They didn't, because they know their strength is their first party titles and portability, and they made the right choice.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 08 March 2019

That was another way of saying they don't want to go through porting process.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:
Every game is a test, if sales aren't good they have to change the strategy. Be it not putting that type of game on the system, or improving said game, etc. Just that most companies aren't open on it.

Dragon's Dogma sold .04m copies on Xbox One, and Capcom still released Devil May Cry 5 on Xbox One.  So, this confirms that Dragon's Dogma only has to sell .04m copies on Switch to be considered a success, correct?

Could be. We don't have the expectations of any of the previous game Capcom said were tests, but they said all have passed the test.

You want to see companies doing these tests and not saying it? Look at how many japanese developed games don't ever go to Xbox or go later without sony having to pay a cent to devs. Because these devs done their test or relied on sales of other devs for similar games and saw they wouldn't make the money they wanted on that project.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

V-r0cK said:
zorg1000 said:

I cant because what other business does this?

Disney: Want to see Avengers: Endgame in theaters? Well we might release it if you buy the 4K Blu-Ray of Mary Poppins Returns.

If you think other business don't do this practice then you're sadly mistaken.  It's just many businesses dont say it like how Capcom says it because clearly you can tell it sounds stupid and will just receive a lot of backlash.

One thought could be that Capcom has a set budget for each console so for Capcom to produce more for Switch they rely on making more money from Switch which is why they require DD to sell well on Switch? But that's just a thought (of many), who knows how their business is run or what the shareholders want.  Only way to truly know is to be at their boardroom meetings lol

For sure, I agree with that first paragraph and that's sort of what I meant, no other business is going to come out and give these types of ultimatums and if they do than it's with products that are related.

Like with my example, Disney isnt going to axe Avengers because Mary Poppins or Toy Story flops. The only thing that will stop them from releasing Avengers is if the MCU has a significant decline.

If this was a DMC 1-4 Collection than it would make sense to see how sales are before committing to DMC5 since they belong to the same series but to base your decision around Dragon's Dogma which belongs to a difference series and genre is baffling.

As for your 2nd paragraph, again I dont disagree with that, i can think of a handful of legitimate reasons for Capcom not to port over DMC5 but I dont think this is one of them.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Are we still being tested? Thought us Switch owners had passed all Capcom tests.

DonFerrari said:
Mandalore76 said:

Could be. We don't have the expectations of any of the previous game Capcom said were tests, but they said all have passed the test.

You want to see companies doing these tests and not saying it? Look at how many japanese developed games don't ever go to Xbox or go later without sony having to pay a cent to devs. Because these devs done their test or relied on sales of other devs for similar games and saw they wouldn't make the money they wanted on that project.

I get what you're saying but that's a terrible comparison. It is physically impossible for a game to sell well on XBO in Japan because it only has an install base of ~100k.

Switch is selling well everywhere and Capcom has already had multiple successful tests on the platform so it's really not comparable at all.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
DonFerrari said:

I get what you're saying but that's a terrible comparison. It is physically impossible for a game to sell well on XBO in Japan because it only has an install base of ~100k.

Switch is selling well everywhere and Capcom has already had multiple successful tests on the platform so it's really not comparable at all.

You didn't. Not talking about sales on Japan, I'm talking about sales of japanese developed games. Quite a number of them are released WW and some have X1 release others don't.

You know it is comparable and that the only real difference is that company hardly would be clear that their products are evaluated on profit and that define other ventures.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

zippy said:
Are we still being tested? Thought us Switch owners had passed all Capcom tests.

They are just waiting for a flop so they can say "See? Noone buys our games here, we won't do anything here anymore!"

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

DonFerrari said:
zorg1000 said:

You didn't. Not talking about sales on Japan, I'm talking about sales of japanese developed games. Quite a number of them are released WW and some have X1 release others don't.

You know it is comparable and that the only real difference is that company hardly would be clear that their products are evaluated on profit and that define other ventures.

Ya I misread what you said, makes alot more sense now.