By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Samsung Quits 4K Blu-ray Player Market

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/02/15/samsung-quits-4k-blu-ray-player-market/#353f22351577

Samsung exiting the 4k player market. 4k blu Ray sales are only 5% of the US market and DVD is still around 60%. Sony were right not to put a 4k player in the Pro. Save that for the ps5. 

Around the Network

Not surprising. Only serious videophiles buy 4k BluRay in significant numbers. And there just aren't enough of those people around to make the numbers work for most companies.

DVD is still around 60%? I'd think it was more like 45-35%. The way Blu Rays are stocked you'd think they take up a majority of the market. Then again, I suppose I've seen more 4k Blu Rays then just "5%" relative to their shelf space.

When the DVD was released, it didn't take too long until VHS was gone for good. But when the Bluray came out, the DVD is still going strong.
My guess is they didn't want to end the DVD because they still make money. And they also could be afraid by canceling DVD that their customers move on to streaming only.
Well, most people are going there despite there being DVD's.

Also, it seems like most people don't care about image quality. 4k HDR 10bit /12 bit is just something that streaming won't do. Streaming still suffers greatly with color banding issues.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

It’s because things have gotten “good enough”. No one’s going to replace their collections anymore. Obviously there’s also streaming which is killing disc sales, but I doubt really care that much about 4k there as well.

Around the Network

You're telling me there's still a 4k Bluray player market you can quit?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

And 4% of these 4k blu rays are the Xbox one S and X which they probably dont even know or care about it

Yikes. But it boggles my mind that DVDs still sell so well. It's usually only $5-$10 more for a Blu-ray combo pack that usually includes Digital HD and a DVD. New release DVDs are some of the biggest scams in the home media market in my eyes.

Lifetime Sales Predictions 

Switch: 151 million (was 73, then 96, then 113 million, then 125 million, then 144 million)

PS5: 115 million (was 105 million) Xbox Series S/X: 57 million (was 60 million, then 67 million)

PS4: 120 mil (was 100 then 130 million, then 122 million) Xbox One: 51 mil (was 50 then 55 mil)

3DS: 75.5 mil (was 73, then 77 million)

"Let go your earthly tether, enter the void, empty and become wind." - Guru Laghima