By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Crackdown 3 Review Thread - MC: 60 OC: 62

Tagged games:

yvanjean said:
DonFerrari said:

A half decent game (your call) really doesn't deserve any score above average. So 60 meta is about right. You wanting to give half decent a 7.5 really would be a score distortion, how would you differentiate a half decent, decent, average, good, great, excellent and epic? Would all be on a 0.5 difference?

@thread It is funny to see people that say score doesn't matter defending this game should have scored higher, also even funnier that on games that have achieved 90+ meta when others criticized the odd score of 40 they would defend that some people didn't agree that game was great but then here can't accept that most critics didn't like this game.

I said they took a half decent game and made it good by adding Terry Crews combine with solid gameplay and polish in term of performance.  This game keep getting score in the 40 or 50 which should be reserve to broken game. If you read the review they are punishing the game for not delivering on it's promise rather then rating base on what was the final product.  

After playing this game, I hope that we get a Crackdown 4 or Free DLC but this time focus on campaign that is centered around Terry Crews. 

Instead of cancelling yet another failure development, Phil Spencer and co at Microsoft tried to salvage the work done so far and made a half decent game. Including Terry Crews to the game really help it stand out for what was a very mediocre effort help give character to the game.

This is what you said... not that they took a half decent, but that they made a half decent game. Terry Crews doesn't change the game one iota. It certainly can help promotion or some people enjoyment, but the game doesn't change because of he.

So again your evaluation of half decent doesn't deserve a 75 score.

Also I agree that a game shouldn't be evaluated on expectations, but on what it delivers. But matter of fact unless you think there is a conspiracy of reviewers it seems like they don't like what was delivered more than just taking points on their expectations. If we were discussing a 90+ game that deserve let's say 95 but lost some points in some reviews because the reviewer wanted stuff that is his like not what the game is about that would be a different discussion.

Could swear I remember a Metacritic thread where some people were defending that for game 70 is average/mediocre and other group defended that average would be 50 up to 60. VGC really lacks a consensus on what thresholds we separate broken, bad, regular, good, great, excellent, epic, etc.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
yvanjean said:

I said they took a half decent game and made it good by adding Terry Crews combine with solid gameplay and polish in term of performance.  This game keep getting score in the 40 or 50 which should be reserve to broken game. If you read the review they are punishing the game for not delivering on it's promise rather then rating base on what was the final product.  

After playing this game, I hope that we get a Crackdown 4 or Free DLC but this time focus on campaign that is centered around Terry Crews. 

Instead of cancelling yet another failure development, Phil Spencer and co at Microsoft tried to salvage the work done so far and made a half decent game. Including Terry Crews to the game really help it stand out for what was a very mediocre effort help give character to the game.

This is what you said... not that they took a half decent, but that they made a half decent game. Terry Crews doesn't change the game one iota. It certainly can help promotion or some people enjoyment, but the game doesn't change because of he.

Also I agree that a game shouldn't be evaluated on expectations, but on what it delivers. But matter of fact unless you think there is a conspiracy of reviewers it seems like they don't like what was delivered more than just taking points on their expectations. If we were discussing a 90+ game that deserve let's say 95 but lost some points in some reviews because the reviewer wanted stuff that is his like not what the game is about that would be a different discussion.

Could swear I remember a Metacritic thread where some people were defending that for game 70 is average/mediocre and other group defended that average would be 50 up to 60. VGC really lacks a consensus on what thresholds we separate broken, bad, regular, good, great, excellent, epic, etc.

Opencritic has a formula for whether a game is tagged as Weak, Fair, Strong, or Mighty. 

The OpenCritic rating is based on the percentile ranking of each game's Top Critic Average:

• Mighty: Games averaging in the 90th or above percentile
  • Strong: Games averaging in the 60th to 90th percentile
  • Fair: Games averaging in the 30th to 60th percentile
  • Weak: Games averaging in the bottom 30 percent of games

The Top Critic Average cutoffs happen to be 84 and above, 75-83, 66-74, and 65 and below. Note that, for a game to have a Top Critic Average, it must have at least 3 numeric reviews from top critics.

In order to be weak, a game has to be in the bottom 30 percent. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Chris Hu said:

Says a guy that hasn't played the game yet and your assumptions are wrong nobody so far has unlocked all the achievements for it so at this point nobody knows how long it take to truly 100% complete it.  

I thought it would take 30 days for enough people to do completionist runs. But I guess not. Enough people have beaten it.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=38828

49 people beat the game already. Crackdown 1 was a 43.5 hours long for completionists. https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=1964 Crackdown 3 is 13.5 hours long for completionists. The game was a massive step back from the original 2007 release, in terms of content. 

I don't believe that's accurate. In the original Crackdown you basically kill the bosses and upgrade all your stats. Other than that you chase orb things and do driving missions. Crackdown 3 actually has more stuff to do.

I COULD elaborate. But why should I bother? Its evident you don't know anything about these games really.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

I thought it would take 30 days for enough people to do completionist runs. But I guess not. Enough people have beaten it.

49 people beat the game already. Crackdown 1 was a 43.5 hours long for completionists. https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=1964 Crackdown 3 is 13.5 hours long for completionists. The game was a massive step back from the original 2007 release, in terms of content. 

I don't believe that's accurate. In the original Crackdown you basically kill the bosses and upgrade all your stats. Crackdown 3 actually has more stuff to do.

I COULD elaborate. But why should I bother? Its evident you don't know anything about these games really.

I played and beat Crackdown 1. https://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/cereboralbore/ That's my ultra-old XBL profile. I had to make a new one due to realizing, I missspelled it, but yeah there you go. 

DonFerrari said:  
Mr Puggsly said:

I'm gonna recommend you watch the Digital Foundry video for Crackdown 3, the campaign video. Because some of the things you're saying just aren't reality. For a UE4 game, its one of the more polished games using that engine. MS played trailers at numerous E3s, many delays allow that to happen, but that doesn't make it AAA. Also, the game didn't appear to change much since the 2017 trailer.

I don't think anybody is arguing the game should be praised though. I think the reviews were harsh given the game isn't buggy, it actually is polished and its fun. Its probably my favorite game to ever score that low. I'm actually less bothered by the critics and more bothered by people like you that haven't played the game but have opinions.

To anybody that wants to have an opinion without actually playing, at least try watching the Digital Foundry video covering the campaign. Especially if you're the kind of person that makes claims its not polished.

How many low tier games do you remember appearing in so many E3s, having hype and touting a special feature of the platform?

Games doesn't lose score only on the merit of being buggy. And on being one of the most polished, do you have any source?

Why people that want to have an opinion needs to watch a specific video that praises the game you want to address? Why all other reviewers aren't acceptable to base the opinion?

I'd say Crackdown 3 is more like mid tier, not low tier. The game was at a bunch of E3s because of delays and the MP was ultimately thrown together.

Again, games as polished and feel as tight as Crackdown 3 generally don't score that low. My source? I say that as someone who has played numerous UE4 games on Xbox One and the Digital Foundry guys were also impressed.

I'm suggesting people who are in this thread and know nothing about this game (like yourself) should watch that video. Its a fair analysis and will likely change your views a bit.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Cerebralbore101 said:
Chris Hu said:

Says a guy that hasn't played the game yet and your assumptions are wrong nobody so far has unlocked all the achievements for it so at this point nobody knows how long it take to truly 100% complete it.  

Here my playtime so far, I feel like i'm past the half way point and at most 3/4 of the way in the main story. Collecting all the orbs and doing all the race will tack on quite a few more hours. One of my friend already played way over 15 hours (he's no where near completion either) and this is Crackdown 3 Campaign only. Wrecking Zone is separate to the campaign. 

Crackdown 3: Campaign
Gamerscore: 230 / 1,000
 Achievements 27
 Agility Orbs Collected 292 Rank 2 (friends)
Hidden Orbs Collected 58 Rank 2 (friends)
Time Played
11.7550363540649 Rank 2 (friends)
Enemies Killed
1,341 Rank 2 (friends)
Races Completed 17 Rank 1 (friends)

Friend stats: 575/1000 gamerscore 15+ hours
Race 15
Enemies Kills 2662
Hidden orbs 116
Agility orbs 493

There are 750 agility orbs which are somewhat easy to find, but there is also 250 hidden orbs that are not so easy to find. 13.5 hours for completionists just doesn't make any sense.  

Cerebralbore101 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't believe that's accurate. In the original Crackdown you basically kill the bosses and upgrade all your stats. Crackdown 3 actually has more stuff to do.

I played and beat Crackdown 1. https://www.xboxgamertag.com/search/cereboralbore/ That's my ultra-old XBL profile. I had to make a new one due to realizing, I missspelled it, but yeah there you go. 

Ah okay, well you must not remember the game much.

Those HLTB stats seem exaggerated to me. I don't think it takes nearly that many hours to complete everything and I wouldn't even recommend trying to do it. Trying to find every orb or doing all the driving missions is incredibly boring. That's epitome of filler, but not unusual for open world games.

As for Crackdown 3, you can't do everything in 13 hours. Nope. I feel those completion stats are generally inaccurate. At the rate I'm going its gonna take like 13 hours to finish the campaign.

Recently Completed

Cerebralbore101 said:
Chris Hu said:

There is no way the game takes 13.5 hours to complete everything. I have played 9 hours with more than half the bosses still to beat, collected 359 out of 1000 orbs, and still a bunch of stuff to do. This game has more things to do than the first so I don't believe it. 

DonFerrari said:
yvanjean said:

That's the main problem there no standard for rating. To some people a 4/10 doesn't mean it's broken/awful game. 

We already talk about this in a previous thread but for Metacritic they rank game in three categories:
Positive 75-100
Mixed  50-74
Negative 0-50

Personally for me:
9.0+ Masterpiece
8.0-8.5 Great game
7- 7.5 Good game
6.0-6.5 Bad Game
anything under 6 is Broken or Awful game

There are many issues with ranking this game, should you consider the price? I don't think a bad Multiplayer that can be ignored should lower the score of the overall game review. If you do consider the price you must also consider the Gamepass.

Full retail price - Campaign and MP - I would rate this game a 6.
If you ignore the price entirely and rate the package I would rate this game 7.5
Gamepass  - I would rate this game a 8    

yvanjean said: 

Personally for me:
9.0+ Masterpiece
8.0-8.5 Great game
7- 7.5 Good game
6.0-6.5 Bad Game

Very odd ranges, is there a reason you dont list 8.6-8.9, 7.6-7.9 & 6.6-6.9?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.