By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Crackdown 3 Review Thread - MC: 60 OC: 62

Tagged games:

mjk45 said:
Oneeee-Chan!!! said:

I remember they cancelled Scalebound.

But this bad game was ok. (PC version is meta 54)

Why ?

They painted themselves into a corner by making this the poster boy for the cloud,  they were under the pump with their forced back down along with xbox being underpowered and kinetic making it overpriced , you then got azure and the cloud being used for damage control, with marketing that explained the power difference away by implying that Sony went for sheer brute force but MS's approach of smart hardware design combined with clever software was more than it's equal and Crackdown was going to show the future in cloud aided  game design now with that message being heeded by one side and disparaged by the other, it became a bigger media target than it should have been ,it had a lot riding on it.So the timeline of delays probably went like this,first few delays aimed at  getting what they envisioned, then all those time delays  lead to the point of no return, where getting it out the door with as much intact as they can manage so they can at least say it's done is the aim.

The part I bolded was all I read and rolled my eyes... maybe you make some good points, but I'm not gonna bother reading any further.

I think there is enough evidence pointing to problems working with Platinum Games. Crackdown 3 had other developers, primarily Sumo.

If MS really feels Scalebound had potential, Ninja Theory could continue where they left off. Could be a great 9th gen game.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
eva01beserk said:

I was comparing horizons with previous horizons, and Motorsports with previous Motorsport. And if you saw the chart, they have been selling less with each iteration. You can say it changes with every release, but its still a simulation, theres only so much they can do to stick to what its trying to imitate.

And like I said to chris hu, being on track used to mean something, not for xbox after gamepass. First thing is that most games, specially multiplayer ones sell the most in the first few months and now with gamepass what incetive do people have to buy the game.

No, it's not a simulation (the horizon series). Simulators are games like Gran Turismo and Project Cars. Games like Forza Horizon and Need for Speed are more arcade racers. 

Heck, in one of the DLC's, you're doing loop de loops on hot wheels tracks:

For the last time, ITS. NOT. A. SIMULATION.

Also, just checked, and at this point in FH3's life it had sold about the same as Horizon 4. So it went up from FH2 to FH3, and stayed flat from FH3 to FH4.

The DLC is DLC... not reflective of the actual game.

Forza Horizon still feels very much like Forza sim games. People say its an arcade racer, but it feels more like Forza than any arcade racer. That's why people argue its not really an arcade racer. It doesn't feel like NFS games either.

Recently Completed
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

GoOnKid said:

I think this game delivers what it wants to deliver: it's just mindless unserious fun where you shoot stuff and things go boom. Not more, not less. If someone wants a deeper game that's fine, there are a lot of alternatives. Not every game must be cookie cut to please everyone.

Pretty much how I feel.

I was hyped about this game because other games like it don't exist and I'm having fun with it like previous games in the series. As it stands right now, I simply don't agree with the critics and would recommend this game to any Crackdown fan.

I mean MS gave away Crackdown 1 for free multiple times already. If people enjoyed their time with that, then they will be happy with this. So I think there is gonna be a disconnect between the people that are actually enjoying it and those who just listen to critics.

Recently Completed

Mr Puggsly said:
mjk45 said:

They painted themselves into a corner by making this the poster boy for the cloud,  they were under the pump with their forced back down along with xbox being underpowered and kinetic making it overpriced , you then got azure and the cloud being used for damage control, with marketing that explained the power difference away by implying that Sony went for sheer brute force but MS's approach of smart hardware design combined with clever software was more than it's equal and Crackdown was going to show the future in cloud aided  game design now with that message being heeded by one side and disparaged by the other, it became a bigger media target than it should have been ,it had a lot riding on it.So the timeline of delays probably went like this,first few delays aimed at  getting what they envisioned, then all those time delays  lead to the point of no return, where getting it out the door with as much intact as they can manage so they can at least say it's done is the aim.

The part I bolded was all I read and rolled my eyes... maybe you make some good points, but I'm not gonna bother reading any further.

I think there is enough evidence pointing to problems working with Platinum Games. Crackdown 3 had other developers, primarily Sumo.

If MS really feels Scalebound had potential, Ninja Theory could continue where they left off. Could be a great 9th gen game.

my point was to answer onee chan's question why they cancelled one game because of development problems but continued on with Crackdown 3 rather than cancelling it as well. nothing was said concerning whether either deserved that fate.

About the bolded History shows the OG Xbox one with the extra cost of Kinetic was underpowered and overpriced in comparison to the PS4.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

I keep seeing comments like "ohhh this is just this sorta game" or "da critics are just totally out of whack with this, they just don't understand". 

Critics have praised many games that do something similar to Crackdown. Many games have gotten a score when they were "just trying to achieve what Crackdown wanted to achieve". To imply that people must be looking for a deeper alternative or fundamentally don't understand the point of the game because it got a negative metacritic score is silly. You can make a game who's goal is to make things go boom boom and bang bang, and it can still be not bad. Or it can still be received positively. Shocking, I know. 

Disagreeing with critics is fine, but let's not pretend like good simple fun is just too abstract a concept for them. That's disingenuous. They may be pretentious, but they aren't that pretentious. I'm willing to admit that how "worthy" a game is of a high score is a genuine problem with many game reviews, but it's not really the case with Crackdown. It's just a game which is divisive and which many people think is either really good, really bad or really mediocre. That's all there is to say about it really. 

Also, it's funny to see the sentiment come out that "not every game is for everyone/needs to be tailor made for everyone" ...... until the 90+ meta game gets a "troll" review that states a different opinion  

Around the Network
mjk45 said:
Mr Puggsly said:

my point was to answer onee chan's question why they cancelled one game because of development problems but continued on with Crackdown 3 rather than cancelling it as well. nothing was said concerning whether either deserved that fate.

About the bolded History shows the OG Xbox one with the extra cost of Kinetic was underpowered and overpriced in comparison to the PS4.

Again, MS and Platinum Games appeared to have some trouble on working together on Scalebound. Go read about it. Meanwhile Crackdown probably just got stuck in some sort of development hell trying to deliver the MP. I mean the Campaign is nothing particularly unique, mostly just more Crackdown with some ideas of other open world games.

Frankly, I don't get your argument. Are you suggesting all games stuck in development hell should be treated equal? Scalebound and Crackdown 3 were very different projects with different studios working on them. Yet for some reason you feel MS should treat them as equals? Its a dumb argument.

I'm not disagreeing with your other comment, not relevant either.

Recently Completed

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

I keep seeing comments like "ohhh this is just this sorta game" or "da critics are just totally out of whack with this, they just don't understand". 

Critics have praised many games that do something similar to Crackdown. Many games have gotten a score when they were "just trying to achieve what Crackdown wanted to achieve". To imply that people must be looking for a deeper alternative or fundamentally don't understand the point of the game because it got a negative metacritic score is silly. You can make a game who's goal is to make things go boom boom and bang bang, and it can still be not bad. Or it can still be received positively. Shocking, I know. 

Disagreeing with critics is fine, but let's not pretend like good simple fun is just too abstract a concept for them. That's disingenuous. They may be pretentious, but they aren't that pretentious. I'm willing to admit that how "worthy" a game is of a high score is a genuine problem with many game reviews, but it's not really the case with Crackdown. It's just a game which is divisive and which many people think is either really good, really bad or really mediocre. That's all there is to say about it really. 

Also, it's funny to see the sentiment come out that "not every game is for everyone/needs to be tailor made for everyone" ...... until the 90+ meta game gets a "troll" review that states a different opinion  

The point is that critics and reviews can never dictate how much I will enjoy a game. I couldn't care less about scores. I finished Devil's Third MULTIPLE times ffs.

Yes, there are similar games with higher scores, who denied that? But still a score of 60 will never be able to make me enjoy a game for just 60%.

In my opinion gamers shouldn't rely their purchase decisions based on scores alone anyway. In these times there are plenty of opportunities to make up your own mind about liking a game or not, and if someone looks for a game like this then just go on and give it a go.

What do you mean with that last paragraph? Is this a jab?

AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Try watching the Digital Foundry video about this game.

That way you can see what a person that enjoys it thinks, then compare that to the critics that seem to hate every aspect of this game.

Recently Completed

Yet ANOTHER failure for the XBox One roster....why am I not surprised...

The Xbox Two (placeholder) better have some awesome shit when it launches - or they're gonna be in some serious trouble...because the X1's library is laughable at best compared to the PS4 & Switch - and the Switch has only been out for 2 years....

I don’t understand how people think this reflects the current Xbox games studios output

1. This was a Don Mattrick game

2. It wasn’t done by first party studio

3. Troubled development

While I agree that MS’s output has been rather mediocre this gen I think there’s a few people that are a little too happy to see this, and are pushing a narrative. MS’s first party is just shaping up and I’m all for criticizing it if the next batch is bad, but to use crackdown as an example of its current state is silly.