By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with Mini-ITX Gaming Build

Swear Silverstone did a Raven thing like that.

Around the Network
Biggerboat1 said:

Microsoft Windows 10 Home, w/ Creators Update, 32/64-bit (£104.99)

No no, thats not how you do it these days - just go on ebay and buy a Windows 10 activation key for peanuts. I needed to activate my Windows 10 last year and bought the key for 3 usd on ebay. But before that you just have to download the Windows 10 itself from the official Microsoft site and install it.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

m0ney said:
Biggerboat1 said:

No no, thats not how you do it these days - just go on ebay and buy a Windows 10 activation key for peanuts. I needed to activate my Windows 10 last year and bought the key for 3 usd on ebay. But before that you just have to download the Windows 10 itself from the official Microsoft site and install it.

This, Windows 10 in reality is like less than £10.

Biggerboat1 said:
sethnintendo said:

Get your man spread on!

You better believe it!

Though I have to say, I just played through Rise of the Tomb Raider with a controller & stubbornly refused to switch on aim-assist as it made the game too easy. It was definitely an exercise in patience!! M+KB would have been a whole world of easier...

Yea I have opposite problem than you when it comes to work.  I work 10 hour shifts and forced to stand and go back and forth between ICT and Flying Probe testers.  No sitting allowed till breaks.  So when I get home I don't mind where I sit my ass down as long as it is a chair.  One good thing about my work is that I'd probably be a complete fat ass if I didn't get 20k steps in a day at work.  Now if only I can manage to curb my alcohol consumption I'd be one fine tuned machine.

Good luck on your mini pc.  Least you didn't waste money on a Steam box!

JEMC said:
I think you're in for an excellent litte machine, and everything seems to fit inside it. By the way, I found a review of the case (from 3 years ago) and the GPU cooling can be a slight problem: https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/fractal-design-node-202-review/1/

Other than that, you'll probably want to go with a bigger HDD/SSD, as today's games are repidly growing in size.

Thanks for the review link - yeah, GPU cooling seems to be a slight concern... Perhaps I should opt for this - here'a review, just fyi 

Random_Matt said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Here's a video for the Fractal case - looks pretty slick in my humble opinion!

Only problem I see is cooling, however, if you are going with the 8400, then you will not have to worry about overclocking or heat. It should be fine, plenty of small form factor cpu coolers out there.

I've actually just noticed that the i5-9400 is just around the corner - or at least available on pre-order - is it worth waiting? Tried to find info on it's performance bump over the 8400 but details seem thin on the ground...

Random_Matt said:

Yeah, Scan has Silverstone Raven and Fortress - I'm now gravitating to the latter as I'm not a fan of plastic - though is pricier than Raven & Fractal options...

Around the Network
m0ney said:
Biggerboat1 said:

Ah, good to know, thanks - that's potentially freed up some funds for the escalating case budget :)

sethnintendo said:
Biggerboat1 said:

You better believe it!

Though I have to say, I just played through Rise of the Tomb Raider with a controller & stubbornly refused to switch on aim-assist as it made the game too easy. It was definitely an exercise in patience!! M+KB would have been a whole world of easier...

Yea I have opposite problem than you when it comes to work.  I work 10 hour shifts and forced to stand and go back and forth between ICT and Flying Probe testers.  No sitting allowed till breaks.  So when I get home I don't mind where I sit my ass down as long as it is a chair.  One good thing about my work is that I'd probably be a complete fat ass if I didn't get 20k steps in a day at work.  Now if only I can manage to curb my alcohol consumption I'd be one fine tuned machine.

Good luck on your mini pc.  Least you didn't waste money on a Steam box!

@ bold - yeah, but where'd be the fun in that!!

Thanks, quite looking forward to seeing what an RTX 2060 can do (coming from GTX 660 SLI)

Biggerboat1 said:
JEMC said:
I think you're in for an excellent litte machine, and everything seems to fit inside it. By the way, I found a review of the case (from 3 years ago) and the GPU cooling can be a slight problem: https://www.bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/cases/fractal-design-node-202-review/1/

Other than that, you'll probably want to go with a bigger HDD/SSD, as today's games are repidly growing in size.

Thanks for the review link - yeah, GPU cooling seems to be a slight concern... Perhaps I should opt for this - here'a review, just fyi 

Random_Matt said:

Only problem I see is cooling, however, if you are going with the 8400, then you will not have to worry about overclocking or heat. It should be fine, plenty of small form factor cpu coolers out there.

I've actually just noticed that the i5-9400 is just around the corner - or at least available on pre-order - is it worth waiting? Tried to find info on it's performance bump over the 8400 but details seem thin on the ground...

Random_Matt said:

Yeah, Scan has Silverstone Raven and Fortress - I'm now gravitating to the latter as I'm not a fan of plastic - though is pricier than Raven & Fractal options...

An extra 0.1GHz, nope. Although the 9400F does lose the igpu, so will run cooler, but if your gpu fails it is handy to have one. Fortress is a nice case, depending on which one of course. I had a custom purple fortress mini once, it was nice.

Megiddo said:
I don't see how that will all fit, but I'm not that experienced with small builds. If you want a small build don't you usually go with a low profile graphics card? I can't see how a 2060 can fit.

The case will accommodate a full 310 mm long GPU.

The Geforce 2060 is 226.06mm long, the GPU is laid down, so it doesn't need much in the way of case Z-Height.

Biggerboat1 said:

I think it would be fine. - You are only running a Geforce 2060 and a Core i5 8400, so you should be fine, if not... Try your hand at undervolting! :)

The Fortress case will be a good step up as well in that aspect.

Biggerboat1 said:

The 9400F is already available here. - There is really zero performance differences from architectural changes... But there is a 100mhz clockspeed bump... So basically any performance improvements will be inconsequential.

Have you thought about going Ryzen? AMD is smashing it right now... And for good reason.

The ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming + Ryzen 7 2700 would be hard to pass up right now.

...Also. Why the Sata SSD? Go big or go home! :) (Hint: NVMe)
It's hard not to recommend Crucial at the moment... Great price/performance across the spectrum.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:

Have you thought about going Ryzen? AMD is smashing it right now... And for good reason.

The ASUS ROG Strix B450-I Gaming + Ryzen 7 2700 would be hard to pass up right now.

...Also. Why the Sata SSD? Go big or go home! :) (Hint: NVMe)
It's hard not to recommend Crucial at the moment... Great price/performance across the spectrum.

In any case, just 500GB is pretty small and will only allow a couple games to be installed these days.

Hence my suggestion: First, get an AMD CPU. Then, get a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD and a 2TB 2.5" HDD and combine them with AMDs StoreMI into one single drive that's as fast as a SATA SSD but costs significantly less for the amount of storage it provides.