By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Help with Mini-ITX Gaming Build

Hi guys

I'm looking to build a new gaming PC, but unlike my current one which is absolutely huuuuuge, I want to try to buy something much smaller that will fit in my media centre.

After a bit of research it seems that Mini ITX is the way to go.

I'll be playing on this 55" 4K OLED TV with an xbox controller.

I'm thinking of having it pre-built here

It's odd, as there seems to be some major omissions from the parts they allow you to select from, but I believe that you can sub in any compatible parts from their main website

I'm not a hardcore enthusiast who always has one eye on frame rate but at the same time I like pretty graphics and am keen to have a machine which will last me a good while without much tinkering.

So, my initial thoughts are something along the lines of:

i5-8400 (£179.99)

RTX 2060 (£335.99)

ASRock Intel B360M-ITX (£95.48)

Corsair 16GB DDR4 Vengeance LPX 2666MHz Memory Kit (£103.99)

Seagate BarraCuda 500GB 2.5" SATA SSD/Solid State Drive (£65.99)

Fractal Design Node 202 mini-ITX (£74.99)

EVGA GM 650 Watt 80+ Gold SFX PSU/Power Supply (£89.99)

Arctic Freezer Low Profile Intel CPU Cooler 11 LP (£13.91)

Microsoft Windows 10 Home, w/ Creators Update, 32/64-bit (£104.99)

2 x be quiet! Pure Wings 2 120mm Silent Case & CPU Cooler Fan (2 x £9.98)

Total Spend : £1,085.28

I've gone with a more powerful PSU than strictly necessary to future-proof against potential future GPU requirements.

I'm aware that the case is very small - 377 x 82 x 330 (WxHxD mm) - is everything really going to fit in there??

Any feedback would be much appreciated as I'm far from an expert and I'm sure there will be some better options than I've chosen, or maybe a component or two that I've missed completely!

Around the Network

I don't see how that will all fit, but I'm not that experienced with small builds. If you want a small build don't you usually go with a low profile graphics card? I can't see how a 2060 can fit.

Looks pretty good so far, though maybe I'd wait for the 1660 to come out, might pull the price of the 2060 down a notch.

Also, might want to think about the R5 2600 instead of the i5 8400, it's 12 threads and the mainboard should be more future-proof than Intels chip, although it's slightly less performant.

Megiddo said:
I don't see how that will all fit, but I'm not that experienced with small builds. If you want a small build don't you usually go with a low profile graphics card? I can't see how a 2060 can fit.

That was true 10-15 years ago as smaller builds then also meant flatter, but that's not the case nowadays anymore

Just a question... Why you trying to fit a PC in a media center? Why not put it at its proper place? You know next to a computer desk.

Around the Network

Just tried to create a similar build on Alternate to compare (since it has an Uk website and a PC configurator), got slighly more expensive (probably due to the mainboard and cooler) but everything should work out

sethnintendo said:
Just a question... Why you trying to fit a PC in a media center? Why not put it at its proper place? You know next to a computer desk.

The way I understood it is he wants to play on it like a console, solely with gamepad on a TV. In that case a bigger case would be quite cumbersome, hence the itx form factor.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

Just tried to create a similar build on Alternate to compare (since it has an Uk website and a PC configurator), got slighly more expensive (probably due to the mainboard and cooler) but everything should work out

sethnintendo said:

The way I understood it is he wants to play on it like a console, solely with gamepad on a TV. In that case a bigger case would be quite cumbersome, hence the itx form factor.

Ah I know people have trashed the Steam link a bunch but that actually works good in my house so far (played about 6 hours or more on it).  Had a few hiccups like audio not syncing right a few times but most times played flawless.  Have a 1 gb hard connection and wifi puts out no more than 20-50 mbps.  Played a few racing games like Grid Autosport and didn't notice any lag. 

Check out Lazer3D LZ7, best mini case there is.

Bofferbrauer2 said:

sethnintendo said:

Exactly - it's essentially functioning as a souped up console.

I spend 8-10 hours a day sitting at a desk for work - when I get home I want to stretch out!

Random_Matt said:
Check out Lazer3D LZ7, best mini case there is.

It looks a bit tall unfortunately...

I'll have to measure the shelf space when I get home but I'm guessing is around 120-130mm in height...

Also it doesn't appear to be available on Scan - ideally I'd like them to build it as, whilst I have built 2 PCs before, it's still not something I'm 100% confident in doing, especially with the mini ITX form factor which I'm guessing will make everything especially finicky to fit....