By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 12 January 2019

trunkswd said:
I am not sure why the "Hardware Chart" on the front page hasn't updated yet. I've let Talon and the devs know about the issue. Hopefully the issue isn't anything major.

Glad you're looking into it 

Around the Network

Switch and DS sold the same as PS/V and XB combined.

DélioPT said:

Wasn't FE scheduled for March/April?

Nope, just a vague Spring release so any time in Q2 is possible.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Last year

NS-204,361

PS4-269,094

XBO-82,461

3DS-70,481

Vita-7955

So everything except Switch is down YOY.

Makes sense given the age of the other systems, I suppose. They're declining with age while Switch is still getting started.

It's true.  Now if we only had a term to describe how old systems decline in sales, while the newer ones that replace them increase in sales.  "Next iteration"?  No, that's not quite right.  Man I feel like this term is on the tip of my tongue....

zorg1000 said:
DélioPT said:

Wasn't FE scheduled for March/April?

Nope, just a vague Spring release so any time in Q2 is possible.

Thanks!

For some reason i must have read that as April.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
zorg1000 said:

Last year

NS-204,361

PS4-269,094

XBO-82,461

3DS-70,481

Vita-7955

Makes sense given the age of the other systems, I suppose. They're declining with age while Switch is still getting started.

PS4 is on Top again worldwide, while we are talking now; these are old figures, 3 weeks ago, don't forget.    I'm expecting PS4 to hold very well in 2019.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 is on Top again worldwide, while we are talking now; these are old figures, 3 weeks ago, don't forget. I'm expecting PS4 to hold very well in 2019.

A bit early to say PS4 is back on top wouldnt you say? I'm sure RE2/KH3 boosted it over Switch but let's not get ahead of ourselves, those games release 2-3 weeks from these numbers and the person you quoted is talking about YoY performance.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

DélioPT said:
curl-6 said: 

Yeah at this rate the first half of the year is looking like another missed opportunity for Switch. They need to get back into the habit of putting a heavy hitter in March-May like they did with MK8, Splatoon 1, and BOTW to drive momentum.

I mean who knows, they could surprise us and have Fire Emblem in April and Animal Crossing in June, but at this stage it's not looking good.

I lost at how many times i was criticized for questioning Nintendo's strategy of releases…

I don't understand why anyone would defend a strategy of going months and months on end without any big games to spur hardware sales.

Nate4Drake said:
curl-6 said:

PS4 is on Top again worldwide, while we are talking now; these are old figures, 3 weeks ago, don't forget.    I'm expecting PS4 to hold very well in 2019.

PS4 is down almost 20% YOY with these numbers. RE2/KH3 will cause a spike but that likely won't be enough to arrest the downward YOY trend for more than a week or two.

Last edited by curl-6 - on 05 February 2019

curl-6 said:
DélioPT said:

I lost at how many times i was criticized for questioning Nintendo's strategy of releases…

I don't understand why anyone would defend a strategy of going months and months on end without any big games to spur hardware sales.

Nate4Drake said:

PS4 is down almost 20% YOY with these numbers. RE2/KH3 will cause a spike but that likely won't be enough to arrest the downward YOY trend for more than a week or two.

We will see.  Talking about "% down YOY" after a week and half in 2019 can't represent the whole picture in 2019. Let's wait and see.  Switch was surfing the wave of the most casual month of all, which is December, let's see what happens when figures stabilize, and it's already happening.  NS week ending 22 Dec 2018 : 1,546K(PS4 789K) week ending 29 Dec 2018 : 848K(PS4 502K), week ending 5 Jan 2019 : 449K(PS4 356K), week ending 12 Jan 2019 : 252K(PS4 221K);    the trend of Switch is selling 55% , 53% , 56% the amount of the previous week in the above mentioned weeks, while PS4 64%, 71%, , 62%. Switch is slowing down like a rocket, more than PS4, as it has got the maximum boost from Dec, the "month of casual gamers".   I'm more than sure that right now PS4 is on top worldwide, and it will be for many many weeks up to Nov 2019. It will be a bit down YOY ?  It doesn't matter if PS4 will be slighty down YOY in 2019, it does matter that PS4 will make other 17M in 2019, keeping sales healthy and steady, after 6 years from release, which is a miracle if you ask me. 

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Nate4Drake said:
curl-6 said:

We will see.  Talking about "% down YOY" after a week and half in 2019 can't represent the whole picture in 2019. Let's wait and see.  Switch was surfing the wave of the most casual month of all, which is December, let's see what happens when figures stabilize, and it's already happening.  NS week ending 22 Dec 2018 : 1,546K(PS4 789K) week ending 29 Dec 2018 : 848K(PS4 502K), week ending 5 Jan 2019 : 449K(PS4 356K), week ending 12 Jan 2019 : 252K(PS4 221K);    the trend of Switch is selling 55% , 53% , 56% the amount of the previous week in the above mentioned weeks, while PS4 64%, 71%, , 62%. Switch is slowing down like a rocket, more than PS4, as it has got the maximum boost from Dec, the "month of casual gamers".   I'm more than sure that right now PS4 is on top worldwide, and it will be for many many weeks up to Nov 2019. It will be a bit down YOY ?  It doesn't matter if PS4 will be slighty down YOY in 2019, it does matter that PS4 will make other 17M in 2019, keeping sales healthy and steady, after 6 years from release, which is a miracle if you ask me. 

Switch was coming off a December this time last year too, yet as of these numbers it is up 25% YOY.