By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii/DS each had ten 10-million-plus sellers. Switch has five and it's not even 2 years old

Will it pass them and make to 11 or more?

Yes 129 94.16%

No 8 5.84%

Total:137

Splatoon 2
Pokemon 2019
Pokemon 2020
Animal Crossing
Mario (Maker)

Yes, it will

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

10 is nothing to sniff at.

The PS2 only had 3.

SW sales for Nintendo is pretty top heavy though. The Wii had similar attach ratio to PS2, but the PS2 sales were spread out. The PS2 and DS sold similar HW and the PS2 almost doubled the SW, but again it was 10 to 3.

But either way that was a console from a long time ago. 360 also had ten 10 million sellers I believe if not more. As I already expect the Switch to outsell the 360, I think 10 should be easy. Hence why I think the Wii having definitely sold more than the 360 should have had more.

The 360 had nine 10-million-plus sellers.

curl-6 said:
Farsala said:

SW sales for Nintendo is pretty top heavy though. The Wii had similar attach ratio to PS2, but the PS2 sales were spread out. The PS2 and DS sold similar HW and the PS2 almost doubled the SW, but again it was 10 to 3.

But either way that was a console from a long time ago. 360 also had ten 10 million sellers I believe if not more. As I already expect the Switch to outsell the 360, I think 10 should be easy. Hence why I think the Wii having definitely sold more than the 360 should have had more.

Chartz says 10. Which one doesn't count?

Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

Chartz says 10. Which one doesn't count?

My bad, Google was linking to the old 360 charts, before Ghosts hit 10m. Still, PS3 sold pretty much the same amount and had eight 10-million-plus sellers. 3DS has seven. Having ten at 100 million units is not an usual ratio.

And they're all, and will all be, first party. Sooooo....

Doomed.

Asriel said:
I seriously can't believe people are legitimately naming Metroid Prime 4 and Fire Emblem as possible 10 million sellers.

Hope springs eternal!

Around the Network
Farsala said:
curl-6 said:

10 is nothing to sniff at.

The PS2 only had 3.

Thats because handheld have lower attach rate than home consoles in any case, for instance 3DS has attach rate of 5, DS had attach rate of around 6, GBA had 4.5, and GB attach rate of around 4. Even N64 that has lowest attach rate when comes to Nintendo consoles, had higher attach rate than highest attach rate for Nintendo handheld, 6.8 vs 6.1.

Splatoon 2 will reach 10M eventually. This year we have 2 guaranteed 10M sellers (Animal Crossing and Pokémon) and one potential 10M seller in Luigi's Mansion 3 since previous entries exceeded 5M units sold. Whenever we get a new 2D Mario or Mario Maker, that's another guaranteed 10M seller, and that's excluding surprise success stories like Splatoon on Wii U. i think it will definitely have 15 to 20 10M sellers by the end of its lifecycle

Miyamotoo said:
Farsala said:

Thats because handheld have lower attach rate than home consoles in any case, for instance 3DS has attach rate of 5, DS had attach rate of around 6, GBA had 4.5, and GB attach rate of around 4. Even N64 that has lowest attach rate when comes to Nintendo consoles, had higher attach rate than highest attach rate for Nintendo handheld, 6.8 vs 6.1.

Which kind of reinforces the point.

DS had attach rate of 6 but had 10 10 million sellers. Wii had attach rate of 9 but only had 10 10 million sellers. 360 sold less than the Wii but had 10 10 million sellers. I was just a little surprised the Wii didn't have more.

Farsala said:
Miyamotoo said:

DS had attach rate of 6 but had 10 10 million sellers. Wii had attach rate of 9 but only had 10 10 million sellers. 360 sold less than the Wii but had 10 10 million sellers. I was just a little surprised the Wii didn't have more.

7 of the 10m sellers on Wii were also 20m sellers though while only 3 on DS were 20m sellers also on 360 VGC has only 9 10m sellers what is the 10th?

Wyrdness said:
Farsala said:

7 of the 10m sellers on Wii were also 20m sellers though while only 3 on DS were 20m sellers also on 360 VGC has only 9 10m sellers what is the 10th?

I just went down the line for 10m+ and it said 10, but it appears Minecraft is in 8th place with 9.82m. Regardless Minecraft is for sure passed 10m.