By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro dev says next game won't be on PC if players boycott. EDIT: Official Statement made

Controversy aside, I wonder why Epic did not wait to launch their platform until they had fully added the features needed. Now it just likes like a pale imitation of Steam, with many other platforms dwarfing the Epic Store in terms of content, from Steam, GoG, Origin...

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
DreadPirateRoberts said:

The number of people who want Steam to have a monopoly (or Netflix, to cite another example) , because it is convenient to them don't seem to realize that monopolies never benefit the customer.  And in the case of steam, developers and publishers are customers themselves.  And it sounds like an increasing number of them are tired of getting screwed by Steam.

So buying exclusive selling rights for the next year, of a game that was a mere 2.5 weeks from launching, will solve the issue of a supposed 'monopoly' from Steam?

I think 99% of people whining about it only care because they have Steam and only want Steam.  So is a game being exclusive to another store a problem? No more than a game being exclusive to Steam is. So if that is really your complaint, then I hope you are being consistent about it.  

People are mad because their having to face a trifling inconvenience of opening another launcher is more important to them than Valve abusing its market position to gouge the devs out of millions of dollars is.

CGI-Quality said:

I agree with much of this. Another thing to consider is the folks that simply think it is good for the big bad wolf (Steam) to see some competition as to prevent a monopoly, when in reality, buying out exclusives in such a fashion actually AIDES a monopolistic ideology. "We've got the money, we can just buy it all up". I'm not against the exclusivity aspect as much as I am against the routes that were taken to be achieved. 

On the flip side, I agree that Steam could use some improvements here or there, but that is a side step to this. Entirely. The Epic Store not being ready for primetime is a bee sting. Taking a game from one storefront to put on an entirely different storefront exclusively (with that bee sting included) is the limb bitten right off. It is a very bad precedent to set, because where does that buck stop? This is just one game. What happens when others go through something similar and games are leaving the store, in droves, just prior to release because, well...... the big bad wolf needs to be taken down?

There is a lot more to this than Metro: Exodus. 

Not only that, but I feel like it's fairly well acknowledged on this site even by console fans that service-based platforms are the future. I mean, every time that kind of topic has popped up it seems like people generally have agreed that the future is digital platforms. Maybe none of the people in this thread believe that, but if the ones defending Epic Game Store do, then I have to question why the shortsightedness on this situation. It sets a pretty bad precedent for digital platforms honestly,  despite the fact that clients like Steam or stores like GOG have built up a good reputation for digital distribution over the years. 

And yeah ... Steam does need some improvement. Same with GOG Galaxy. 

Have devs learned nothing from the past year????? Literal suicide

PSN: Saugeen-Uwo     Feel free to add me (put Vg Chartz as MSG)!

Nintendo Network ID: Saugeen-Uwo

DreadPirateRoberts said:
CGI-Quality said:

So buying exclusive selling rights for the next year, of a game that was a mere 2.5 weeks from launching, will solve the issue of a supposed 'monopoly' from Steam?

I think 99% of people whining about it only care because they have Steam and only want Steam.  So is a game being exclusive to another store a problem? No more than a game being exclusive to Steam is. So if that is really your complaint, then I hope you are being consistent about it.  

People are mad because their having to face a trifling inconvenience of opening another launcher is more important to them than Valve abusing its market position to gouge the devs out of millions of dollars is.

Then you haven't read the thread or taken a close look at the issue at all.

Around the Network

So they released an official statement about it now in this tweet

FloatingWaffles said:

That was a nice message, it laid the situation bare and hopefully the devs do get less crap now.  

It confirms a few things: 

A ) It wasn't up to the developers

B ) The publishers see too much of an investment in PC gaming to actually stop supporting it 

Luckily, I never thought this statement from the developer was really a problem to begin with. The Epic Deal was, but we've known about that since the last thread. The OG statement was bad PR maybe, but I can understand where he's coming from. I also don't think many people actually thought they'd cut PC support, though maybe it was a bit insulting to long time fans, but it's not logical to think they would actually go through with it. 

As a lot kind of expected it was a hollow remark given how ridiculously dumb that would be to do in response to this situation, but this makes me feel bad for them and shows how shitty of a situation this is all around.

On one hand I can see why people don't want to support the decision with Epic games, perhaps they are hoping that by not supporting it other publishers will take notice that being moneyhatted by Epic games isn't the good choice to make, but then on the other that just punishes the developers hard work who had no control in the situation. But then also by choosing to still buy the game on PC to support the devs maybe it gives off a sign to other publishers that taking away games from Steam just because Epic payed is fine. It's tough.

Last edited by FloatingWaffles - on 03 February 2019

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
FloatingWaffles said:

That was a nice message, it laid the situation bare and hopefully the devs do get less crap now.  

It confirms a few things: 

A ) It wasn't up to the developers

B ) The publishers see too much of an investment in PC gaming to actually stop supporting it 

Luckily, I never thought this statement from the developer was really a problem to begin with. The Epic Deal was, but we've known about that since the last thread. The OG statement was bad PR maybe, but I can understand where he's coming from. I also don't think many people actually thought they'd cut PC support, though maybe it was a bit insulting to long time fans, but it's not logical to think they would actually go through with it. 

Yeah, I figured it was probably a hollow "threat", if you can even call it that since it seemed more like he was just saying what he thought, since it would be an asinine decision to take away from what's happening lol, but it's good to see it's confirmed. It's just a shitty situation all around for the developers though which sucks, though that remark from him did not help, but alas. Now i'm extremely conflicted in the situation like I mentioned in my prior post though. 

FloatingWaffles said:

Yeah, I figured it was probably a hollow "threat", if you can even call it that since it seemed more like he was just saying what he thought, since it would be an asinine decision to take away from what's happening lol, but it's good to see it's confirmed. It's just a shitty situation all around for the developers though which sucks, though that remark from him did not help, but alas. Now i'm extremely conflicted in the situation like I mentioned in my prior post though. 

I understand where you're coming from. Honestly, I care more about the implications of this kind of thing than just the game itself. It looks like a great game, but I think what it means for digital platforms currently is more important to me personally. But really all it comes down to is your personal decision. If you want the game, buy it. If you don't think it's worth it due to the implications, then don't buy it. It sucks that supporting the game is possibly supporting something that's bad for the industry, but I don't think people expect everyone to have the same fortitude or to perceive the severity of the issue on the same level.