By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Statement: Last of Us and Breath of the Wild embody the difference between PS and Nintendo

I think it comes down to Sony has had greater success doing what Nintendon't.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network

Hmm. I don't see that these games have much in common at all.

Sony is production, expansive, and grit. Nintendo is whimsical, engaging, and artistic.

Don't over think it too much

1st Party game = should bloody be a good game on that system.

John2290 said:
zygote said:
Sony is production, expansive, and grit. Nintendo is whimsical, engaging, and artistic.

Sony is engaging and artistic and Nintendo is Production and expansive. Not sure what you're trying to say here. It's be easier just to say Sony is mature and Nintendo is family friendly.

Just getting into the abstract spirit of the thread.  I mean production as in production values.  Sony is much bigger on movie sequences and heavy graphic, episodic experiences.  They are expansive in that as well.  Grit in the mature hardcore, punctual nature of their products.  Nintendo is whimsical with it's fantasy and colorful slant, they go for quirky and imaginative.  They are also engaging in that they put gameplay over graphics.  Their goal seems to be more immersive gameplay, player interaction.  They are artistic in that they try to find news ways to interact with the players and choose varying creative graphic alternatives over realism and graphic prowess. I agree that my statements needed clarification, but that wasn't in the spirit of the thread. lol.  Just like a joke though, it loses the impact if you have to explain it.  Though did this thread really have enough focus to be impactful?  Everything is relative.  

Around the Network

I don't get the dismissals and the joke posts from some people here. I can definitely see your point. While Zelda is not really my thing, BotW has been a terrific success so it could embody Nintendo as a whole for the coming years. TLoU was a big hit and it has definitely embodied Sony for a while now.

The Last of Us had an effect on Sony first party for sure, not a good one but one which has brought them acclaim and sales. Sony wasn't like this before though.

Breath of the Wild is just an iteration to a design philosophy which has brought Nintendo success for several gens so they are not the same.

Cinematics (GFX+Story) v ground breaking gameplay on 'old' hardware?

Nov 2016 - NES outsells PS1 (JP)

Don't Play Stationary 4 ever. Switch!

I can see what the OP is saying.

Sony and TLoU -> cinematic and narrative driven
Nintendo and BotW -> gameplay is king

I can dig it.

Speaking of these 2 I seen Zelda is just ahead of GOW in terms of awards it won. The difference is only like 8 and is likely to narrow further.