By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Furukawa: "Expanding the gaming population no longer fits the current situation"

What Furukawa means is that due to smartphones being everywhere, there is no need to expand the gaming population anymore - because most people these days are already gaming! That, of course, does not mean Nintendo will only target an older core demographic.

Quite the contrary: When two of your big current games are 2D Mario and a more casual version of Pokémon and your heaviest hitters for 2019 are Animal Crossing, Pokémon and a more affordable Switch Mini (+ Yoga Watch in Japan) you are clearly trying to expand your user base. But these casual gamers already are gamers these days, so there is no need to explain the concept of gaming. Instead, you can target your mass market software at a hot market instead of a cold one like they had to do with Wii / DS.



Around the Network

Furukawa knows what's up. Pages 9-17 in the following link outline Nintendo's direction going forward. Nothing new, really, but it's a good summary for those who've never paid attention before.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190201_2e.pdf



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Well, whatever they're doing, they better figure out how to get the kids back...while anecdotal, only exposure my younger son's friends have to Nintendo is when they come to our home and play Wii or WiiU together. Other than that, from what I've observed in their age group (10), it's all about Fortnite this and Fortnite that (it used to Minecraf this and Minecraft that) and Playstation.



 

TheMisterManGuy said: 
outlawauron said:

 

Where did you get this impression. Please cite sources.

If something under-performs badly, they just stop doing it. Like every other rational company in the world.

https://www.mcvuk.com/consoles/miyamoto-ponders-return-to-wii-music

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2009/02/iwata_wii_music_didnt_reach_potential-2/

"I think it sold lower than our expectations but on the other hand it was a really unique game." - Shigeru Miyamoto

They never said it was an outright failure, but this is a case where a big casual title fails to meet Nintendo's expectations with the company admitting as such. 

Besides, as a publicly traded entity, Nintendo is obligated to be honest about the commercial performance and sales expectations of big releases. They have to make it clear to investors what they expect from a title, and how well its met those expectations. 

There are plenty of flops that get glossed over and Iwata was specfically asked if Wii Music was a sucess or not. I wouldn't characterize answering an interview question as coming out and saying it. Especially when none of the other mistakes are outright mentioned (nor should they be). They focus on those parts of their business and they should.

RolStoppable said:

Furukawa knows what's up. Pages 9-17 in the following link outline Nintendo's direction going forward. Nothing new, really, but it's a good summary for those who've never paid attention before.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190201_2e.pdf

I was pretty surprised to see investors so upset with it. Switch is doing super well, and Nintendo doesn't feel the need to invest in mobile any more. 



"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said: 
RolStoppable said:

Furukawa knows what's up. Pages 9-17 in the following link outline Nintendo's direction going forward. Nothing new, really, but it's a good summary for those who've never paid attention before.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2019/190201_2e.pdf

I was pretty surprised to see investors so upset with it. Switch is doing super well, and Nintendo doesn't feel the need to invest in mobile any more. 

What are you talking about?



Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Shipments

Around the Network

 

HoloDust said:
Well, whatever they're doing, they better figure out how to get the kids back...while anecdotal, only exposure my younger son's friends have to Nintendo is when they come to our home and play Wii or WiiU together. Other than that, from what I've observed in their age group (10), it's all about Fortnite this and Fortnite that (it used to Minecraf this and Minecraft that) and Playstation.

Well it's a good thing that Switch has both Minecraft & Fortnite. Hopefully they get the next mega kids craze too.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Dulfite said:
Hi, I'd like a #7, double meat, with no onions or sweet pickles, a black iced tea with no sugar, and your deep fried roasted broccoli vegan gluten free cheesecake.

Uh, what?



 

Louie said:

What Furukawa means is that due to smartphones being everywhere, there is no need to expand the gaming population anymore - because most people these days are already gaming! That, of course, does not mean Nintendo will only target an older core demographic.

Quite the contrary: When two of your big current games are 2D Mario and a more casual version of Pokémon and your heaviest hitters for 2019 are Animal Crossing, Pokémon and a more affordable Switch Mini (+ Yoga Watch in Japan) you are clearly trying to expand your user base. But these casual gamers already are gamers these days, so there is no need to explain the concept of gaming. Instead, you can target your mass market software at a hot market instead of a cold one like they had to do with Wii / DS.

What is this Yoga Watch you speak of?



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I really like the new era of Nintendo management far better than previous eras, at least thus far. It's less scattershot. Going for the home run is fine but you also want singles and doubles on a consistent basis.



 

zorg1000 said:

 

Louie said:

What Furukawa means is that due to smartphones being everywhere, there is no need to expand the gaming population anymore - because most people these days are already gaming! That, of course, does not mean Nintendo will only target an older core demographic.

Quite the contrary: When two of your big current games are 2D Mario and a more casual version of Pokémon and your heaviest hitters for 2019 are Animal Crossing, Pokémon and a more affordable Switch Mini (+ Yoga Watch in Japan) you are clearly trying to expand your user base. But these casual gamers already are gamers these days, so there is no need to explain the concept of gaming. Instead, you can target your mass market software at a hot market instead of a cold one like they had to do with Wii / DS.

What is this Yoga Watch you speak of?

Best typo I've ever made lol