By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are your most hated gaming tropes?

For me it has to be fat people in fighting games. Almost all fighting games seem to need one, and they are often so obese that they wouldn't be able to stand for the 99 second round let alone jump around launching flying kicks and doing somersaults.

Im over weight in real life and don't see a need to play as an obese fighter in a video game >.<

The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.

Ernest Hemmingway

Around the Network

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClimbSlipHangClimb

This one. That's why I could never really get into Uncharted. They turned that trope up to 11. It's fun the first time but when you do it like 5 times during every of the 500 climb sessions in your game it becomes silly and annoying.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Quick Time Events, in any and every form.

Yay, let's give you the illusion of playing the game by letting you just push the button we tell you to push.

I'd never heard of tropes before, I like this thread! Agree with the slipping one whilst climbing and quick time events. Quick time events boil my blood, especially when you cannot move forward until the offending event has been completed

Games that try way too hard to be 'filmic'. I love me some art style and it sucks when a game tries to look like a movie. The film and tv industry is already inundated with live-action, I'd prefer games go for art style to contrast itself to the film/tv industry.

Also, long cutscenes suck.

Around the Network

I don't know if I hate any gaming tropes, but I want to play so I'm going to say glowing red spots that signify weak points on a boss.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

The main character has amnesia (to be the perfect blank slate for you to play).

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

vivster said:
https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ClimbSlipHangClimb

This one. That's why I could never really get into Uncharted. They turned that trope up to 11. It's fun the first time but when you do it like 5 times during every of the 500 climb sessions in your game it becomes silly and annoying.

Yes! By the time I got to Uncharted 3, I could tell exactly where every scripted slip would be. 

Mnementh said:
The main character has amnesia (to be the perfect blank slate for you to play).

What about when the main character had amnesia, but he is not a perfect blank slate as you will find his memories from before nearly dying and journal entries that help flesh him out?........generally speaking of course......

OT: When gaming media tries to discredit a decent game because it failed to talk about political issues/politics of the game not matching their RL political views perfectly to a tee.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Anything Anime. Specifically, ideas like out hearts are connected so we can talk through time and space.