By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has anyone here played both Dragon Quest XI and Tales of Vesperia?...which one do you prefer?

I´m almost done with DQXI and I´m considering getting ToV now that there´s a remaster, never played it when it was originally released for the X360.

If you played both, which one is the better game overall (story, world, characters, etc) for you?

Around the Network
Bandorr said:

Does the Xbox 360 version from back then count? I played that but not the remaster. I have played DQ11.

Tales of vesperia has great characters. Great story. Great Combat.

It has annoying things. Characters disappearing/reappearing without any progress. Right person has to make the food to unlock the next recipe. Equip the right skill to get the next skill etc. You have to go all around the world to get the ingredients for the recipes.

That said I think it is better than DQ 11. Specially now with the changes like new character etc.

Yeah, it's even worse now with the "new" (in the West) character Patty. Constantly going out of the gang and coming back in. At first it was a pretty funny gag but she honestly feels kind of out of place in the game. 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Bandorr said:

Does the Xbox 360 version from back then count? I played that but not the remaster. I have played DQ11.

Tales of vesperia has great characters. Great story. Great Combat.

It has annoying things. Characters disappearing/reappearing without any progress. Right person has to make the food to unlock the next recipe. Equip the right skill to get the next skill etc. You have to go all around the world to get the ingredients for the recipes.

That said I think it is better than DQ 11. Specially now with the changes like new character etc.

Yeah, it's even worse now with the "new" (in the West) character Patty. Constantly going out of the gang and coming back in. At first it was a pretty funny gag but she honestly feels kind of out of place in the game. 

You mind it in ToV but not in DQXI?  It's way worse in my opinion.

konnichiwa said:

I've never played DQXI. 

JamesGarret said:

I´m almost done with DQXI and I´m considering getting ToV now that there´s a remaster, never played it when it was originally released for the X360.

If you played both, which one is the better game overall (story, world, characters, etc) for you?

I platinumed DQXI and have all the achievements for ToV (and now playing Tov on PS4).

I would give DQXI a 8.5 and ToV a 9.

Music: I prefer ToV, except for the DQ Theme I don't really care that much for DQ's soundtrack while Tov has so many songs I liked.

Characters: ToV is for me a game that has some of the best characters in a JRPG ever, normally I always don't care about a few or most of them but ToV has overal a good party.

Story:  This depends on you, I felt DQ had a great Classic story and ToV has a great story aswell.

Gameplay:  bit outdated compared to maybe the newer Tales games but it is still fast and rewarding.

World/sidequests:  Their is a lot of stuff to do in DQ and aswell in Tov I prefer ToV though.

The only thing I consider maybe a negative thing is the fact that you may miss a lot of stuff in ToV.  it is the typical game that you have to play with a guide if you want to get everything.  But it is a tales games so you have the typical grade shop where you can get 10x experience/ take all the stuff you unlocked received with you in the new playtrough. So honestly I would say get ToV and the first playtrough just enjoy it, only tip I can give you is to play it atleast on Normal so you can earn Grade.

Around the Network
konnichiwa said:

I've never played DQXI. 

Oh I see =p.

They're both great games, but I believe Vesperia is a tier above. Really enjoyable.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

konnichiwa said:
JamesGarret said:

I platinumed DQXI and have all the achievements for ToV (and now playing Tov on PS4).

I would give DQXI a 8.5 and ToV a 9.

Music: I prefer ToV, except for the DQ Theme I don't really care that much for DQ's soundtrack while Tov has so many songs I liked.

Characters: ToV is for me a game that has some of the best characters in a JRPG ever, normally I always don't care about a few or most of them but ToV has overal a good party.

Story:  This depends on you, I felt DQ had a great Classic story and ToV has a great story aswell.

Gameplay:  bit outdated compared to maybe the newer Tales games but it is still fast and rewarding.

World/sidequests:  Their is a lot of stuff to do in DQ and aswell in Tov I prefer ToV though.

The only thing I consider maybe a negative thing is the fact that you may miss a lot of stuff in ToV.  it is the typical game that you have to play with a guide if you want to get everything.  But it is a tales games so you have the typical grade shop where you can get 10x experience/ take all the stuff you unlocked received with you in the new playtrough. So honestly I would say get ToV and the first playtrough just enjoy it, only tip I can give you is to play it atleast on Normal so you can earn Grade.

Thanks for the detailed answer.The music in DQXI is one thing that really disappoints me, repetitive and particularly the music that plays when you´re out on the field is very annoying, had to mute that shit.

What I see coming up a lot is people saying Vesperia´s protagonist is one of the best ever in a rpg, do you share the opinion?...I hope so because I hate silent protagonists which is the case in DQXI.

It depends on the area of the game we are talking about.

Story (Including characters): Vesperia > DQXI

Gameplay: DQXI > Vesperia (mostly because Turn-Based > Action for me)

Music: DQXI > Vesperia (This is mostly based on style-preferences, ToV has a good track for its genre.)

Exploration: DQXI > Vesperia

The thing is, when it comes to JRPGs I rank story over all the other qualities. Dragon Quest and Tales of have their own set of tropes, but I think Vesperia did the Tales of tropes better than DQXI did Dragon Quest ones, and Tales of tropes are more interesting. But gameplay-wise DQXI is the better game for me.

I like them both for different reasons then.

JamesGarret said:
konnichiwa said:

What I see coming up a lot is people saying Vesperia´s protagonist is one of the best ever in a rpg, do you share the opinion?...I hope so because I hate silent protagonists which is the case in DQXI.

Oh yes, he is atleast one of the best.  Hard not to like/love him.  I hope you end up getting the game let us know how you feel about the game :).