By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Ex-Blizzard Producer accuses Sony USA of Censoring Games and Enforcing "Puritanism"

Hiku said:
thismeintiel said:

For the past couple months, P&G, the company that owns Gillette, has been hanging around the same area, with ups and downs.  It went to 96.64 a share in mid-Dec and is at 93.6, now.  But, stocks a company does not make.  It needs customers.  And if Gillette reveals that sales are even just 5%-10% lower in their Jan-Mar quarter, those stocks are going to drop along with them.

Sorry, but if you think the Right is just as much a part of it now then, say, the 70s and 80s, then you are dead wrong.  The Right aren't the ones interrupting when Leftist speakers come to colleges, some even rioting, to get their speeches/visits cancelled.  The Right aren't the ones who want the "sexualization of women" in video games to stop.  Or throw out the blanket terms of racism/misogyny/sexism to shut down critics or political opponents.  Saying opposition triggers them, so it must be shut down.  A lot of the Right have actually moved to being more Libertarian in the past decade or so.  They just want to be left alone and not be forced to accept or take part in the insanity that has been taking place.

"The left are not the ones who want to remove people of color or women from leading roles."
That's the equivalent of that comment in bold. What they both have in common is that either side always has an excuse for why they want these things, whenever there is even the slightest reason for one.
But what I want to point out is that self proclaimed right wingers appear to be much louder about it than the group they are complaining about.

Let's take this very site for example.
How many topics have we had where people complain about the sexualization of women in a particular game, demanding that developers censor their costumes, and things of that nature? I can't recall a single one off the top of my head.

On the other hand we constantly have a never ending flow of topics like this, which without fail constantly uses it as an opportunity to complain about 'the left'.
We have a ton of left leaning members here, but I don't see a flow of topics demanding the removal of sexualization of women in games. Why is that?

Meanwhile we've had multiple topics like this complaining about "Women soldiers in Battlefield V", multiple topics like this about all the recent Star Wars films. And topics/discussions that either started out as, or turned into, the same complaints about Wolfenstein, Far Cry V, DOA6, The Last of Us, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Ghostbusters, Gilette, etc, etc. 
Or any time anyone got fired for making a racist remark. Including James Gunn, where it was the usual suspects who kept harping on that one. One even implied that I would have a double standard for James Gunn, as a counterpoint to something completely unrelated, when I actually said in that topic "You can't make comments like that and expect to work for Disney." That person didn't respond after I pointed that out, but it's an example of how this always comes up. A lot.

These topics and discussions constantly arise from self proclaimed right wingers on this site to complain about 'the left', and each time a game or a movie does poorly, they always attribute it to 'the left' and these specific SJW's agenda.

The problem is, I don't see the people who ask Nintendo to put leggings on Mythra in Smash. I don't see the topics asking Naughty Dog to make one of their main characters gay.
And if they exist, at least they're not constantly cluttering up my feed whining about in my face.
But I see you guys.
You're constantly making noise about the same complaint over and over and over about an invisible enemy being annoying, and presumptions turning into facts about what the thought process was behind these decisions.

As a result, you're insulting or annoying your fellow members here, by constantly bringing this up while always generalizing this as a 'leftist' thing instead of an asshole thing. Right wingers can be the exact same way, when it's an issue they care about. But of course if you ask either side, they'll generally give you an different reason for why they are upset.

Someone has been stuck in their circle for far too long.  If you can't see all the crap SJWs have been doing, maybe you should stop making excuses for them, ignoring them, or watch a vid from someone you don't agree with sometime. Unless you are telling me that those riots I see on Youtube over someone simply giving another opinion are faked.  The SJWs/Antifa taking over streets in Seattle are faked.  While the mayor does nothing because he sides with them, or maybe was just too chickenshit.  Reports of crimes in some countries committed by migrants either ignored or not persecuted to the full extent because the government doesn't want to be labeled as racist.  People being attacked by the MSM, or physically by someone in person, for simply wearing a hat that triggered them.

The reason you see "us guys" and not the other is because their opinions doesn't upset you like the opposition does.  It's that simple.  So much so that you use the same tired tactic that they do.  The strawman.  "Oh, it must be about the wahmen/POC in the game/film, so I can label them as sexist/racist, instead of actually addressing the legit criticism."  "I'll just focus on these small minority of comments, cause I can't actually argue against the vast majority of them."  You guys can continue to use that type of argument, but it won't stop the products from failing.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Sorry Hiku, but as someone that votes Democrat SJW's are a real problem. They are basically the Glen Beck, and Alex Jones of the Democratic Party. Except there are a whole lot more Alex Jones' and Glenn Becks on the right. In fact the right is almost entirely made up of people like Alex Jones and Glenn Beck. On the left SJWs probably only make up 10 to 30%.

Anyone who would lump Beck in with someone like Alex Jones obviously doesn't listen to him.  Might want to try it some time.  He's not the boogeyman you think he is. 

@ bold

No bias there whatsoever.

Around the Network
Hiku said:
thismeintiel said:

Someone has been stuck in their circle for far too long.  If you can't see all the crap SJWs have been doing, maybe you should stop making excuses for them, ignoring them, or watch a vid from someone you don't agree with sometime. Unless you are telling me that those riots I see on Youtube over someone simply giving another opinion are faked.  The SJWs/Antifa taking over streets in Seattle are faked.  While the mayor does nothing because he sides with them, or maybe was just too chickenshit.  Reports of crimes in some countries committed by migrants either ignored or not persecuted to the full extent because the government doesn't want to be labeled as racist.  People being attacked by the MSM, or physically by someone in person, for simply wearing a hat that triggered them.

The reason you see "us guys" and not the other is because their opinions doesn't upset you like the opposition does.  It's that simple.  So much so that you use the same tired tactic that they do.  The strawman.  "Oh, it must be about the wahmen/POC in the game/film, so I can label them as sexist/racist, instead of actually addressing the legit criticism."  "I'll just focus on these small minority of comments, cause I can't actually argue against the vast majority of them."  You guys can continue to use that type of argument, but it won't stop the products from failing.

I'm not even going to ask how Antifa is related to this.

No it's because it's always the same people (you included) who constantly bring this up. And in this manner.
No one is making "I wish Kasumi's boobs didn't jiggle as much" topics here. And certainly not at anywhere near the same frequency as you guys do with these topics.
It's no mystery that these discussions prompt the replies you just cited, if you constantly preference it with terms meant to insult and generalize an entire group that are part of this community. The result is that some people will respond in kind with the same kind of backhanded insults, rather than saying 'yes I agree'.

Very productive?

This is increasingly looking like some members here are more interested in instigating mudslinging aimed at actual members here, more than they are at lashing out on these non-members they've never seen or spoken to.

You know exactly what kind of reactions you'll get when you do this, as you've done it plenty of times now.
I agree with the premise of the OP, and yet here we are, somehow talking about Antifa again.

Who do you think comprises Antifa?

Reread the bold+underline.  It's still a good response to everything you wrote.

twintail said:
shikamaru317 said:
I must say that I agree with everything he said. Ever since Sony moved their headquarters from Tokyo to California we've seen more and more games being censored on PS4. Sony USA is trying to enforce modern US leftist political views on Japan, and Mark is right, that is cultural oppression.

can you list them please?

Visual novels Silverio Trinity and Nora, Princess, and Stray Cat had lots of light streaks or steam added to obscure nudity.

Sony also cancelled Omega Labyrinth Z's western release, and the series-staple intimacy mode was not included in Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal.

https://nichegamer.com/2018/10/27/new-sony-censorship-policy-is-forcing-even-japanese-developers-to-censor-themselves-in-japan/

I'm pretty sure there are more, though.

On the one hand: yes, this is bad.
On the other hand: this is due to specific legislation introduced by the Trump administration making companies liable for any "sexual/unsafe" content that is distributed through their platform. This the same reason why Facebook, Tumblr, Deviantart and other social media platforms are applying stricter and stricter safety algorithms.

Anyone selling this as the SJWs or "puritans at SonyUSA" (lol) coming for your games is either ignorant or actively lying to you

Hiku putting on a clinic in this thread.

Around the Network
Tulipanzo said:

On the other hand: this is due to specific legislation introduced by the Trump administration making companies liable for any "sexual/unsafe" content that is distributed through their platform. This the same reason why Facebook, Tumblr, Deviantart and other social media platforms are applying stricter and stricter safety algorithms.

Anyone selling this as the SJWs or "puritans at SonyUSA" (lol) coming for your games is either ignorant or actively lying to you

Well if something is or would get censored in a PS4 game that isn't in a Switch game why would people blame the trump administration?

konnichiwa said:
Tulipanzo said:

Well if something is or would get censored in a PS4 game that isn't in a Switch game why would people blame the trump administration?

1. Are those games also on Switch?

2. Iirc some Switch games also got some censoring (XB2 at least)

3. If Sony headquarters are in the US now, it's probable they follow those rules much more closely than a foreign company

Bofferbrauer2 said:
konnichiwa said:

3. If Sony headquarters are in the US now, it's probable they follow those rules much more closely than a foreign company

It is just like the Blame Obama thing.

Warriors orchi 4 for example is not censored on switch but is on PS4 and Xbox one. I am not going to blame Trump.

konnichiwa said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It is just like the Blame Obama thing.

Warriors orchi 4 for example is not censored on switch but is on PS4 and Xbox one. I am not going to blame Trump.

The thing with this bills is, that there is no bit stating "no sex in the games", but only bits that could be interpreted to mean that depending on who is reading it.

Nobody knows precisely what a law means, but they also don't want to get used to find out.

As such, you might get companies (such as Nintendo or Valve) ignoring it, thinking that it doesn't apply to them, and that if it got to court they could defend it on the grounds of artistic expression (or other).

You might also see companies introduce algorithms, or in our case extra steps in game approvals, even in non-US branches, since these companies were built on their content being universally accessible.

Now, I wouldn't expect Trump supporters to know how to take blame, but it's the GOP introduction of technologically illiterate bills that pushed companies to take such steps.

Blaming the SJWs and other strawman is just shielding your ass from the mess YOU made.

Acevil said:
The thing that gets me about this whole thing, is Nintendo is more open minded about this stuff now. How do we live in a world where conservative Nintendo is more open to this than Sony.

Ikr! Nintendo and Sony are Switching minds regarding censorship!

Pocky Lover Boy!