By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Labo family at 1,8 M sales here, probably >2 M shipped

Is this really that bad ?

I think they were expecting more, maybe twice more, but as an old industrial quoter engineer who already had experience with quoting cardboards, these sales has probably been a huge easy money for Nintendo. If one of these cardboard has an industrial price of 1€ - 1€50, multiplied by 6, + an average quality software which was not very expensive to create I believe, I think they make nasty margin in selling these 69 and 79€.

I have read some financial experts who believe that Labo was the reason of the share price decline :

Around the Network

Those are okay sales with a likely good markup for Nintendo. So it should be fine.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Anything can look bad against too high of exceptions. I figured people were unrealistically expecting it to be the next Wii Fit or Brain Training type sensation and that's why it was seen as a failure despite it doing respectable numbers on it's own merits.

There is also that Labo reminds people Nintendo is not scared to think out the box and take creative risks which can scare industry because it isn't safe. Some people can act when Nintendo does something experimental like; if it doesn't end up as a Wii-like success it might as well of been a failure Nintendo never should have bothered with.

Considering the price of shares had been rising a lot before that, I rather think that many investors just resold shares with a tidy surplus over buying price and being completely unrelated to Labo

The software that follows is something that probably would only sell for like 5-10$ (and probably cost them nothing to develope), and the cardboard is like 1$. Nintendo made mad profits on each sale. 

Nintendo are some greedy mofos, they could have priced this at 20$ and still made hefty profits on each sale.
As is, lobo feels like being ripped off at its current prices, if it was like ~20$ Im sure they would have sold like 10 times that amount.

Around the Network

Please not this again.

I don't think it's a question of how much money Nintendo made out of this.
The main goal was, clearly, to expand the market and attract a different kind of crowd, which didn't work. And as a result, an attempt that failed.

JRPGfan said:

The software that follows is something that probably would only sell for like 5-10$ (and probably cost them nothing to develope), and the cardboard is like 1$. Nintendo made mad profits on each sale. 

Nintendo are some greedy mofos, they could have priced this at 20$ and still made hefty profits on each sale.
As is, lobo feels like being ripped off at its current prices, if it was like ~20$ Im sure they would have sold like 10 times that amount.

Not saying Nintendo needs this to be at $€80 or whatever it is, but there's also R&D to make up for.

I think you people are ignoring R&D costs. Who knows how much Nintendo spent on getting Labo working and out onto the market. Either way, it is definitely not a success in Nintendo's eyes. Given their 20M prediction, they were obviously looking for it to push HW sales early/mid 2018. That didn't happen. And it probably won't ship much more than 2M-3M in its lifetime, so poor results all around.

S.Peelman said:
JRPGfan said:

Not saying Nintendo needs this to be at $€80 or whatever it is, but there's also R&D to make up for.

Yeah there is R&D, but that and the cheap looking software for lobo, couldn't be more than 5-10$ worth imo.
Which was why I said 5-10$ to cover the R&D ect.

In short nintendo was insanely greedy with prices for each labo kit, their returns on each unit is staggering.
Nintendo knows how to make $, I just feel they didnt need to demand so much, for parents to be able to give their kids a labo kit.