By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

Zombie9ers said:
Nintendo reduced its forecast to 17 million after Sony increased theirs to 18 million- so VG charts estimates seem spot on with that million gap

Its crazy how a 5 year old console was able to outsell a console that is less than 2 year old

Around the Network

For 2018 (calendar year) :

PS4 : 18 millions (sold)
Switch : 17.41 millions (shipped)
XB1 : 7 millions +/-
3Ds : 2.85 millions (shipped)

Evilms said:

BIG THANKS

Evilms said:

I hope MS will be more competitive next Gen, XBox deserves much more.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
Evilms said:

I hope MS will be more competitive next Gen, XBox deserves much more.

vita numbers and retro consoles( NES and SNEs mini)

Evilms said:

interesting infos. the PS4 is really impressive. Very earned, has been getting the best and most Games for many years.

And with Kingdom Hearts 3 and Resident Evil 2 remake, 2019 started extremely strong.

Can’t deny facts, PS is consistent and a sales beast. You know it’s bad when your fuckup (ps3) still did extremely well. Achievement (or trophy rather) well earned!

iceland said:
Can’t deny facts, PS is consistent and a sales beast. You know it’s bad when your fuckup (ps3) still did extremely well. Achievement (or trophy rather) well earned!

Not only, even profit is on record numbers, Sony really are doing all perfectly this gen.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

thismeintiel said:

I should have clarified better about the RAM.  I do think they will do 16GB, but it will be reserved for gaming.  I think they will do a 2nd pool of ~2GB DRR4 for the OS.  Basically a continuation of the RAM solution found in the Pro.

I still have some serious doubts about a SSD.  At most, I see them going with a hybrid drive.  It'll save them millions and customers can choose to upgrade to a SSD if they so wish.  But, we shall see.

Yes, an expansion of whats seen in the PRO is most likely going to be the case. But how much RAM is the question. I dont think they will d anything less than 4GB of RAM for the OS. And it will most likely be of the LPDDR4 kind. Which means that we are more likely to get 16GB of GDDR6 dedicated for games or primary apps and the system marketed as having 20GB of RAM. This also goes in line with the 8 chip layout sony has been using for a while now and a 256bit bus. If using a 12 chip layout (XB1X) then they end up with 24GB of GDDR6  and will have to use a 384bit bus.

Thing with the HDD is that standards have to be set. On a developer level. You want devs t know they can build their games around the knowledge that it takes a minimum of x amount of time to move y amount of data into RAM. This pretty much rules out using a HDD as the only storage option. The load times fr everyone but those that upgrade their HDD will just be to long next gen if they stick with HDDs. A simple fix would be to embed an SSD not the PCB and still ship with a HDD which will "copy" the game onto the embedded SSD for primary access in which case it will make very little sense for anyone to buy a SSD and upgrade their system since you are still going through the embedded SSD anyway.  

But as I said before, question is which is cheaper to implement? 240GB embedded SSD + 2TB HDD or 1TB SSD?