By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PlayStation Was The Top Selling Home Console In The World For The 8th Year In A Row!

PortisheadBiscuit said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

So they lost money in from launch to 2008.. THe PS3 had 5 more years after that. 

And the cnet article is literally how console business works. I'm surprised that you're on this forum and didn't know that consoles were sold at a loss.

They sold PS1 and PS2 at losses very early on too, but not to the tune of $9 billion. 

9 billion? Where did that come from? 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network

2019 will be an epic battle between Nintendo and Sony, I predict Switch will sell 14millions units and PS4 14-15 Millions units. Switch has so far taken the lead according to vgchartz first week.

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

Trumpstyle said:
I predict Switch will sell 14millions units 

thismeintiel said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

Do you have a link to this info?  How reputable would you consider the source?

In Japan Nintendo has a much stronger brand than Playstation.  In North America, XBox, Playstation, and Nintendo all have a fairly strong presense, with the edge going to Nintendo mostly because of their handhelds.  It's only in Europe where Playstation has the strongest brand.

Now, the leaked product code may not be true.  But, it's easy to speculate what is going into the PS5.  A Ryzen CPU is the only option they have, as they are sticking with AMD, and a Sony coder was cleaning up and improving code for Ryzen.  The only question is how many cores will it have (I'm pretty confident they will go with 8, just like the PS4 has) and will it be Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2.  Forbes reported on the BTS drama concerning the development of Vega, with AMD focusing heavily on Navi because they are getting it ready for the PS5.  Considering the X already has 12GB of RAM, it's also easy to see that the PS5 will have at least 16GB.  Like I said, GDDR6 would be the obvious choice for the type used.

As for your reply to GOWTLOZ, you're forgetting something important, and that's ROW.  PS has a much larger presence there than Nintendo.  Nintendo also doesn't always get the edge in NA.  And if Xbox continues to drop in NA next gen, you can bet that PS will be there to pick that missing marketshare back up.  As many have pointed out to you, the Switch will most likely start to decline in 2020, 2021 at the latest.  2021 is when sales of the PS5 will be hitting its stride, and Nintendo will be getting ready for new HW in the next year or two.  So, no, Nintendo will not claim the next 4 years.

Hmm I don't know where you gotten geforce 1080 ti performance from never seen that anywhere, I think Navi mid-range cards will be between geforce 2060 and vega 56. The latest rumors had Navi mid-range at geforce 2070 but it was likely all fake though.

Right now I believe PS5 will launch Spring 2020 at 399$ with 3,2ghz zen 2 cpu that has 8 core and 16 threads, Navi at 9TF likely vega 56 performance, 12 GB Gddr6 Ram on a 192-bit bus and 1TB NVMe SSD drive.  

6x master league achiever in starcraft2

Beaten Sigrun on God of war mode

Beaten DOOM ultra-nightmare with NO endless ammo-rune, 2x super shotgun and no decoys on ps4 pro.

1-0 against Grubby in Wc3 frozen throne ladder!!

The_Liquid_Laser said:

The handheld market is relevant, because the PS5 will be competing against a handheld, the Switch.  That is why it is relevant that Sony loses 50% of the time to Nintendo.

More importantly, quite a few people still like to hold on to this delusion that Sony is invincible when it comes to gaming.  They are definitely not invincible.

To all those involved parties that see this......

See that post up there....... this is exactly why I always end up in those "clarifying arguments" about the NS being a handheld r a home console. In a "home console" thread people like him will come and champion it being a handheld. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thanks.  This is useful.   It gives at least something.

I am not sure if there is enough there to determine what the launch price of the PS5 will be though, which is a much more important detail.  Will it be $399 or $499?  I could see them going either way.  Also, I am still waiting to see if they keep it a vanilla console or bundle in something like a VR headset.  That could drive up the price even more.  And knowing what games it will have during the first year is also very important.  These things I've said in this paragraph are even more important than knowing the system specs.  That will actually give an idea of how well the console will do.

That is why I say, it is too early to predict a PS5 victory in say, 2021.  It is also too early to say whether or not it will even sell better than the next XBox.  We still know very little about the most relevant details for either console.

You are clutching at straws. VR is still and will probably always be an enthusiast level accessory. There is not a chance in hell sony bundles a VR headset with a PS5. How do I know this? Because sony has NEVER bundled any accessory with any of the playstation consoles. NEVER. The most that we will et as far as VR built in support in the PS5 is a thunderbolt port which will allow one cable power and data connection to a VR headset. And dds are PSVR 2isnt even coming till 2023.

There is no reason or indication as to why the PS5 will not at least match sales the PS4 in NA. As long as it still has EU and Japan and ROW its pretty much guaranteed to outsell the next XBox. How do I know this? Cause the worst playstation console still outsold the best Xbox console even while losing in NA by 2:1.

This PS5 is in trouble message you are pushing.... its based on nothing but bias. Like there is not one sensible thin you have said to support your theories. Instead you are cooking up scenarios that unless you have been living under a rock for the past 5 yrs have pretty much zero chance of happening.

pokoko said:
The "Nintendo isn't as big as Sony" thing doesn't really do much for me as an excuse as to why Nintendo has less of a presence in certain areas. Nintendo as a gaming entity has been around for decades, more than enough time to establish partnerships around the world. Linking with other businesses to handle logistical problems is commonplace in a global economy. If they haven't done that by now, that is their own fault. As we all know from the threads that routinely sprout up about the subject, Nintendo has more than enough money in the bank to finance such an endeavour. They just haven't.

Also, I kind of hope aliens in space are reading this thread in an effort to understand Earthlings. If so, they're probably as confused as heck about how Playstation is doomed despite coming off an excellent year.

It happens just around when a new PS console is being released. Every single time.

Pre PS4 it was that MS were buying EA and AMD, PS4 was having 4GB ram and using cell processor 2........etc.

Shadow1980 said:

PlayStation has consistently been a strong global brand, and in doing so has demonstrated the importance of regional differences in buying habits.

The PS1 not only dominated in the U.S. and Japan, but was also the first console to become hugely successful in Europe. It sold roughly on par with the NES in the U.S. and Japan, but it was sales figures approaching 40M in Europe that pushed it to be the first console to sell over 100M units globally. The PS2 continued on that success, almost single-handedly continuing to grow the market in America and Europe (Japan less so, as the console market was experienced slowed growth ahead of its then-future contraction).

The PS3 was completely clobbered by the 360 in the U.S., but the situation was reversed in Europe. In Japan, while the PS3 fell far short of the PS2 in lifetime sales, the 360 failed to make an impact at all. The combined result was lifetime global sales that were essentially tied between the 360 and PS3, though if you account for the PS3 releasing a year after the 360, the PS3 sold at a faster rate globally. So, even with everything going in MS's favor last generation, the 360 still couldn't pull off a convincing victory over the PS3, its lead it garnered from launching first dwindling with each passing year. Xbox, unlike PlayStation, is not a strong global brand, owing the vast majority of its success to the U.S., UK, and other Anglophone nations. The brand simply doesn't have a strong presence in mainland Europe, and is almost completely ignored in Japan. Sony may have lost a lot of ground to MS last gen, but they remained a strong global brand.

Because PlayStation has done well in all regions (excepting the U.S. last gen), they have managed to average over 100M units each generation. Even when they had their big misstep with the PS3, they still managed impressive sales, with the PS3 still the #5 home console of all time (behind only the PS1, PS2, Wii, and PS4). The PS4 is on track to sell 120M units lifetime, which would make it the new #2 system of all time. Next generation, assuming the PS5 and Xbox 4 starting off on even footing and neither Sony or MS making any big blunders, the PS5 ought to still split the U.S. market, win soundly in Europe, and be the only conventional console that sells in Japan. Unless Sony drops the ball big time, the PS5 still ought to get to the 100M mark even if MS expands their market share a bit.

Now, Nintendo is a strong global brand as well (in the sense of not being dependent on a single region for the bulk of its sales like Xbox is), but has failed to deliver consistent results with their home consoles. Despite being the #1 brand of the 8-bit & 16-bit eras, their missteps with the N64 and GameCube resulted in finishing far behind Sony for two consecutive generations. The Wii was a huge hit and was the #1 system last generation, but the Wii U saw Nintendo have their biggest hardware failure yet, but they've turned right back around and delivered a huge hit with the Switch.

Beautiful......

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

Hmm I don't know where you gotten geforce 1080 ti performance from never seen that anywhere, I think Navi mid-range cards will be between geforce 2060 and vega 56. The latest rumors had Navi mid-range at geforce 2070 but it was likely all fake though.

Right now I believe PS5 will launch Spring 2020 at 399$ with 3,2ghz zen 2 cpu that has 8 core and 16 threads, Navi at 9TF likely vega 56 performance, 12 GB Gddr6 Ram on a 192-bit bus and 1TB NVMe SSD drive.  

And you probably will be wrong on just about everything you said there with exception to the CPU.

Damn there is s much wrong in that post......

GPU:

Lowest to expect will be 10TF. First off we know nothing about Navi other than its a more efficient architecture than Vega or Polaris(whats in the PS4pro/XB1X). So if we take the CU cunt of the XB1X, do nothing but put it in a 7nm chip, we will be able t clock that GPU t as much as 1.8Ghz. Being that its really small. That alone gives you 9TF+.

But lets say they can some how throw in more CUs (which should go without saying really) And lets say for some reason they can't double the CU count (PS4 to PS4pro) or Triple the CU count (XB1 to XB1X) But instead only can add about 50% more CUs to whats in an XB1X (so 40 to 60 CUs). Now since the chip is bigger, say they only clock the GPU as high as 1.35GHz. You end up with a 10TF+ GPU.

And this is not taking any new improvements a new GPU architecture will no doubt bring

RAM: 

Not a chance it has the same amount f RAM that the XB1X that was released in 2017 had.

Further more you also aren't taking the inherent benefits of GDDR6 into account. Each GDDR6 package has twice the capacity of GDDR5 (16Gb vs 8Gb) while also being twice as fast. This means that if sony goes with a board layout similar to the PS4/PS4pro the least they can end up with is 16GB or GDDR6 ram. If they go with one similar to the XB1X, then they end up with 24GB of RAM.

Oh..... and definitely not on a 192bit bus.... dont even know where you pulled that from. Minimum 256bit bus and max 384bit bus.

SSD:

Just forget that NvME drive.

It may be an M.2 drive. And as such an SSD but definitely not NVME class.

Eagle367 said:
Sony's doing awesome for sure. Hope they don't get cocky though. They have a tendency to do that after success stories. I mean PS3 sold a shit ton and yet was a bigger failure than the Wii U in terms of money made. So hope they keep their heads down and do what they did with PS2 and ps4 and deliver an awesome PS5. But I do think that the next 3 years are the switch's since first year PS5 can't possibly cross switch just like switch first 2 years didn't. And remember that is with switch being ahead in the us in the same timeframe and massively still in Japan. Maybe even ps5's first 2 years it won't be no.1. we'll see what happens though. Do they screw up? Is it Microsoft's time to take back some of the gamers like it did with 360? How much close to PS4 will switch get and will it cross it? Definitely an interesting time in terms of analytics in gaming

I wouldn't say that doing something one time equals "they tend to do it". Sony kinda has this thing figured out.

Also, before somebody says vita, I think it was a worthy successor with lots of great ideas for (at the time) the same price as the 3DS. It just didn't catch on at all.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
colafitte said:

So you basically are not answering my question because you're chicken out..... I guess that if i change the question and said to you something like "If you WERE FORCED to bet for or against PS5 what would yo do?" you still won't aswering me, right?

Would you not bet then, that the next Pokemon game on Switch is going to be a success? (we know nothing about the game, not even the name, but i'm pretty sure everyone here is expecting it to be a success), or the next 3D Mario game???, or maybe the next COD, or next FIFA, we know nothing about their next games either, so you won't bet they will succeed next year either? even if you were forced to do it?

I did answer the exact question you asked.  When I am betting for Switch, I am betting against PS5.

No, you didn't. I asked you if you think PS5 is going to be successful (saleswise) or not. But you gave me a weird binary answer. Because you bet for Switch, you don't bet for PS5 (i don't understand this, you mean, in 2021, 2022, lifetime???). Why if one console is succesfull the other can not be too?. Couldn't Switch be predicted a success back then before official anoucement because we didn't know exactly what is going to be and because PS4 was dominating sales back then?? What a weird logic....

If you're saying NO to my question, it means that PS5 is not going to be a succesful console (saleswise), and if this is true, i've never seen a person so wrong in 10 years visiting this site....(maybe on par with  the ones expecting a console selling 200M, or a company disappearing). Your reasoning about Nintendo winning 50% against PS because of handhelds is as wrong as expecting a COD not being the best selling game in home consoles each year because their handheld versions (just one, that psv version, but this is just an example) were a failure and were beaten by other handheld games (a lot of  3ds games).

Home consoles and handheld consoles are not the same, and should not be compared the same. They're part of the videogame industry but their markets are different. 

Trumpstyle said:
2019 will be an epic battle between Nintendo and Sony, I predict Switch will sell 14millions units and PS4 14-15 Millions units. Switch has so far taken the lead according to vgchartz first week.

Let’s be realistic here 

Trumpstyle said:
thismeintiel said:

Now, the leaked product code may not be true.  But, it's easy to speculate what is going into the PS5.  A Ryzen CPU is the only option they have, as they are sticking with AMD, and a Sony coder was cleaning up and improving code for Ryzen.  The only question is how many cores will it have (I'm pretty confident they will go with 8, just like the PS4 has) and will it be Ryzen+ or Ryzen 2.  Forbes reported on the BTS drama concerning the development of Vega, with AMD focusing heavily on Navi because they are getting it ready for the PS5.  Considering the X already has 12GB of RAM, it's also easy to see that the PS5 will have at least 16GB.  Like I said, GDDR6 would be the obvious choice for the type used.

As for your reply to GOWTLOZ, you're forgetting something important, and that's ROW.  PS has a much larger presence there than Nintendo.  Nintendo also doesn't always get the edge in NA.  And if Xbox continues to drop in NA next gen, you can bet that PS will be there to pick that missing marketshare back up.  As many have pointed out to you, the Switch will most likely start to decline in 2020, 2021 at the latest.  2021 is when sales of the PS5 will be hitting its stride, and Nintendo will be getting ready for new HW in the next year or two.  So, no, Nintendo will not claim the next 4 years.

The rumors about ~1080TI came out around the same time as the Forbes report.  Though, it may have just been a 1080 and I'm remembering it wrong.  I just don't see them aiming "low" with the PS5.  I think they are going to try to roughly double the Tflops of the X's GPU, so ~10-12 Tflops.  And there is no way they are just going to match the RAM of the X.  They will have at least 16GB in it. 

I also wouldn't count on a SSD.  It will most likely be a 1TB HDD, with the ability for the consumer to upgrade it if they wish.  It's just too costly to throw in a large capacity SSD.  I mean that's a $50 difference at retail.  It may be more like a $30 difference for Sony, but that's an added cost of $150M for the first 5M units alone, which would be better spent putting a more powerful chipset in it.  If we ever get to a $5 difference between drives, Sony will probably throw one into the PS5 Pro at launch and probably a Slim, but not the launch model.  The only one I could see putting a SSD in is MS in their top of the line $499 model, and that would probably only be a 500GB one.

Last edited by thismeintiel - on 27 January 2019