By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - HDR is mind blowing (RDR2 updated to proper HDR)

Which would you prefer if pushed.

HDR. 23 58.97%

Ray tracing. 8 20.51%

Neither/other in comments. 8 20.51%

Total:39
VAMatt said:
DonFerrari said:

65" 5 feet away, pixels really make a difference to me.

Yes, at that distance, on that size of display, the difference should be very easy to see.  But, most people do not sit 5 feet away from a 65 inch display.

I know it. They go by those charts that are very bad saying the minimum distance you need to be from the screens. They are more like charts on if you stay closer than that you'll see the pixels than it is bad for you to sit closer.

I still want 10-15 more inches and 8k resolution to be happy.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
VAMatt said:
Libi said:
I hope my plasma keeps going on, until oleds became more afordable. Lcd are terrible.

I used to think that. And it was probably true 10 years ago. But, the reality is that many modern LCD televisions are great.  

It is unfortunate that plasma didn't work out in the market long-term. It has a lot of benefits over LCD.  In many respects, the change from plasma to LCD set television performance back a decade or so.  But, the industry has moved past that. A new, mid-level LCD television performs better than very good plasma TVs did near the end of their time on the market.

You are probably rigth in terms of overall picture quality, but theres One área that i still see problems for lcd. Screen uniformity. I still see screen bleeding and/or blooming. And i find that very destrating and i dont see that on Oleds. Black is black

As a color-blind people, HDR never interested me. Are there any advantages in this case anyway ? Could another color-blind tell us about his experience ?

Lauster said:
As a color-blind people, HDR never interested me. Are there any advantages in this case anyway ? Could another color-blind tell us about his experience ?

It was already mentioned here, the contrast.

You'll be able to differentiate much better the levels of dark or light. So when you are in a night scene or open area with lot of sunlight you'll see better all the elements on the screen instead of what we have today that things get hidden in plain sight due to scene being to dark or bright.

But of course the effect will need both a good panel and content. Some "HDR" panel and content are very light on the contrast ratio.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

John2290 said:
Lauster said:

Of course there is, the luminosity is the main focus for me and trumps all else. Having three different light scoures or more crossing each other in Metro Exodus and one seemingly blinding you yet still being able to see the environment as if through the light rays in Metro Exodus Is crazy cool. I don't know much about colour blindness but surely having bmmore natural lighting scoures with a wider range from black to full luminosity would have to be a boon for the colour blind more than anyone else, No?

Doesn't mater how much color blind you are, you certainly will notice that on dark or bright situations you lose detail (even in real world) and that contrast is important to see the details.

Around the Network

Eh, it's nice but it's not mind-blowing for me. I could live without it tbh.

Thanks Don and John for your answer.

DonFerrari said:
Lauster said:

You'll be able to differentiate much better the levels of dark or light. So when you are in a night scene or open area with lot of sunlight you'll see better all the elements on the screen instead of what we have today that things get hidden in plain sight due to scene being to dark or bright.

But of course the effect will need both a good panel and content. Some "HDR" panel and content are very light on the contrast ratio.

Yes, as Svennoj experimented in GT Sport for example. I think it's something I can notice, but if I have the good panel and content as you said.

John2290 said:
Lauster said:

Of course there is, the luminosity is the main focus for me and trumps all else. Having three different light scoures or more crossing each other in Metro Exodus and one seemingly blinding you yet still being able to see the environment as if through the light rays in Metro Exodus Is crazy cool. I don't know much about colour blindness but surely having bmmore natural lighting scoures with a wider range from black to full luminosity would have to be a boon for the colour blind more than anyone else, No?

Yes, it's still a better option, I suppose, even if the gain is much less than a person with normal vision. Does the lumen power of a panel depends on its HDR capabilities ?

For explaining color blindness, pictures are better than words :

https://hitek.fr/42/vision-des-couleurs-daltoniens_4682

(scroll down to examples)

In my case, it's a deuteranomaly, and I can't see any difference between a deuteranomaly picture and a normal vision picture.

Thus, about color perception from HDR, I'm not sure that I can see the difference with a No-HDR display.

Lauster said:

DonFerrari said:

Yes, as Svennoj experimented in GT Sport for example. I think it's something I can notice, but if I have the good panel and content as you said.

John2290 said:

Yes, it's still a better option, I suppose, even if the gain is much less than a person with normal vision. Does the lumen power of a panel depends on its HDR capabilities ?

In my case, it's a deuteranomaly, and I can't see any difference between a deuteranomaly picture and a normal vision picture.

Thus, about color perception from HDR, I'm not sure that I can see the difference with a No-HDR display.

I don't know how exactly you see, but HDR give more options in all color spectrum, so even if you can't differentiate some colors you don't see the world in a 16 color palette =p, so having more color gradiente could be good.

Question for you, do you see a general difference in color between real world and games? If you do, the HDR will give you more natural colors.

On the brightness/contrast... a panel doesn't need to be HDR to have high bright or contrast, it is more on the opposite, it needs good brigh and contrast to receive HDR classification. But since the parameters are quite big you can have inane HDR to excelent and both would receive the seal. Plus the content needs to enable it and make good use (not like RDR2).

Lauster said:

DonFerrari said:

John2290 said:

To clarify HDR is not about color, it's all contrast and brightness. Wide color gamut and 10 bit color are separate things.
More bits means less color banding, 1024 steps for each color instead of 256. Gradients look more smooth no matter what color.

HDR is all about brightness range. Normal tvs range from 0 to 50 nits, HDR expands this logarithmically to max 1500 nits on current tvs, while GTS has the option to go up to 10,000 nits for max brightness. For comparison a clear bright sunny day is about 30,000 nits.

Color depends on what the content was made for. Rec.709, DCI-P3 or rec.2020. GTS is made for rec.2020 however most tvs can't quite reproduce DCI-P3 yet.

The full spectrum represents human vision.
As you can see wide color is determined by brighter primary colors allowing for better coverage of the human spectrum. Since you have trouble with reds and greens you will lose out on most of the benefits of a wide color gamut. Blue gets the least advantage of the wider color gamut.

John2290 said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Eh, it's nice but it's not mind-blowing for me. I could live without it tbh.

Ya, one could go back but playing games (at least games that aim for realism, TPS and FPS etc) in non HDR, everything is washed out but mostly it's the lighting, the lighting in games is terrible, you have maybe two modes where you wither see bright areas or dark areas and no inbetween. In HDR you see various levels of brightness all in one scene (Like half a dozen or more) with all light scources existing together without canceling each other out or having contrast and black levels raised. Lighting never falters with this tech, not once but in non HDR lighting shifts and alters to accomedate the contrast. Sure I can go back and forget about it, let my brain accustom to old lighting again in the same way I could play a ps3 game but it's a much lesser experience. After Metro my eyes are opened, playing that game without HDR on is like playing Fallout new Vegas compared to fallout 4 with it's terrible lighting indoors. Even with 4k, only after a few months of it, it's so hard to go back to 1080p with all it's aliasing caused by lack of pixels and lack of detail and real estate on screen and I was one saying the difference was minimal the last two or three years. 

Check to luminosity of your panel to see if you are getting the full wallop for your money, My mates computer monitor is HDR and it's a lot less impactful than my TV and then again his QLED TV blows mine out of the water.  

It all depends on the content. GTS is the poster child for great HDR, yet this week Dragontrail: Seaside is the race I'm doing. The time of day and colors used on that track aren't really all that different between my 1080p tv and 4K HDR tv. Yeah the brake lights stand out in HDR but that's about it. Other tracks and time of day make much better use of HDR and wide color.

I haven't played metro yet, don't really feel like fps on a screen after experiencing it in VR. VR has ruined my appetite for most games :/ However the hassle and mediocre games in VR also keep me away from that. So I'm just racing until next gen... Perhaps I should just get it and maybe I'll get into it. I still have the remastered collection unopened on my shelf doh.