By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Gush about your system of choice this generation!

Hey, VGChartz!  It's time for some quality positive time with you and your system of choice.  This is a thread for you to tell your system of choice this generation exactly how it completes you.  This isn't a place to speak poorly about other systems, or even other generations.  It's just an opportunity to really compliment the heck out of a system that be it 2 years old or 5 years old has given you so much enjoyment, hours of gaming bliss, and days upon days of boredom destroying gaming sessions that your life wouldn't have been complete without.

Talk about the games you love, the controller, the interface, the online component, the community, whetever it is about your system of choice that makes you smile and realize the happiness that that system has brought to you.  Here's to you and your system of choice.  May your days be long ahead together in continued digital bliss.

Don't be shy, tell your system how you feel.  And remember, this is a thread of positivity.  We can save our struggles and strife for another time and another thread.

Around the Network

Oh Switch how I loven thee. Let me counteth them ways...

My Switch is portable and has a lot of games! And will have many more! Also I have two controllers right off the bat.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

My generation 9 system of choice is the Switch.  I just haven't felt this good about any console since the NES days.  

I very rarely buy a system at launch.  Consoles almost never have a decent launch game, and even if they do then I've got nothing to play once I get done with that one good game.  But with Switch I bought it at launch because it had Breath of the Wild.  That's a hell of a bombshell.  It is by far the best launch game ever released.  And what is better is that I could play it for at least 100 hours before I wanted to move on (and this was before the DLC).  

By the time I moved on from Breath of the Wild, other good games were coming out: Mario Kart 8D, Arms, Puyo Puyo Tetris, etc....  I did have a couple of dry months in 2018, but they didn't last long: Dragon Quest Builders and then Octopath Traveler lasted me a good while.  And by the time I'm finished with Octopath Traveler, the games are just coming out faster than I can play them.  I managed to get Mario Party and Smash Bros, because those are mostly multiplayer.  And I'm only on Chapter 6 of Valkyria Chronicles 4.  And I've got two other games I own: Owlboy and Cave story, that I haven't even started yet.  And I still really want to buy Civilization 6, Katamari Damacy Reroll, Dead Cells, Darkest Dungeon, Celeste and War Groove.  There are so many great games and they are coming out faster than I can play them!

The portability is really the icing on the cake, but it is nice.  One of my biggest issues with earlier handhelds is I thought the screen was too small.  A 6" screen really is perfect though.  If I hold up that 6" screen about a foot from my face, and then compare it to my big TV on the other side of the room...well they seem about the same size.  They take up the same amount of space in my field of vision.  So that really makes a 6" screen perfect.  Finally the screen is just the right size.  This is my favorite handheld, but sometimes I dock it because I want to hear the sound.  (I prefer not to use headphones.)  And of course I'm going to dock it for a multiplayer game.  

Right now Switch is competing to be my favorite system of all time.  I really loved my NES, but we'll see.  I may just end up loving the Switch more.  Things are going very well so far.

Currently playing Spider Man on PS4, I'm on the crazy prison mission where all the villains are let loose.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Switch has Breath of the Wild.

PS4: It gets Sony exclusives and pretty much every single western or Japanese 3rd party game. I only thing missing from the PS4's library are RTS and 4X games. But I prefer those on PC anyway.

Switch: Portable indies on a massive screen. 3rd parties will put a game on Switch so long as they can get it running on Switch. My 3rd party physical games for Switch are..

YS VIII
Disgaea Remake
Disgaea 5
Labryinth of Refrain
Valkyria Chroncles 4
Octopath
Dragon Quest Builders
Rayman
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Monster Boy
Tales of Vesperia

If not for these 11 games my physical Switch collection would be a little on the small side. Add in the Indies, and the 3rd party games. Together they make it so someone owning a Switch will never get bored.

I've lent towards a lot of things every generation, this is a list of my home consoles (not including handhelds or PC):
(if your want, you can skip to the 8th Gen).

4th Gen:
I didn't have a bias back then. I was 4 when I got the Super Nintendo. Before then my older brother had a Sega Master System & Sega Megadrive (or Genesis if your from the US), so we both played on all systems. My classics were Super Mario All-Stars (incl Super Mario Bros 2, Super Mario Bros 3 & Super Mario World), Donkey Kong Country 3 & Terranigma.

5th Gen:
I had a Nintendo 64, my older brother had a Playstation. I still didn't have a bias, I loved both consoles for particular games from Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Space Station: Silicon Valley, Southpark 64 to Metal Gear Solid, GTA, Final Fantasy 7, Doom & Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3.

6th Gen:
I started the 6th gen off with a Sega Dreamcast, I was really happy that they brought out a new Sega with a 3D Sonic game. A year later Sega went out of business and my brother got a PS2. I swayed between the Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and Dreamcast and had a lot of fun for a year or 2. Then I got a Gamecube in 2002/3ish and my brother got an Xbox. I was blown away by the graphics on the Gamecube like in Soul Calibur, Resident Evil Remake and RE Zero. Also, this was the generation when I first played Zelda. I got the Wind Waker and had one of the most rememberable experiences. I then got Zelda: Collector's Edition and loved OOT and MM too. Then in E3 2004, the games like Reisdent Evil 4 and Zelda Twilight Princess were on my radar. I loved Metroid Prime, Kirby Air Ride and Super Smash Bros Melee. I loved Resident Evil 4 and was highly anticipating Zelda: Twilight Princess. I was a Nintendo huge fanboy. By now Gamecube was my main platform and I became bias towards Nintendo and became anti-PS2 lol. I didn't want Nintendo to fail in sales and didn't want Nintendo to end up like Sega and formed a grudge against Sony. Me and my brother always had arguments over what console is better.

7th Gen:
My brother got an Xbox 360 in 2005. I was surprised by how powerful it was, seeing the original Gears of War for the first time looked better than realistic. I didn't seam too faced by it though as I has Resident Evil 4 to play through and I was looking forward to Twilight Princess. My brother only played the 360 for about a couple of years before PC gaming and World of Warcraft took over. He has always been mainly a PC gamer anyway. He has always generally swayed towards PC and he has stayed there since, he hasn't wanted a console since the early 7th gen. He's PC master race.
I immediately picked up a Wii on launch. Zelda Twilight Princess was my priority (has always been my most anticipated game of all time). The Wii was fun and I really enjoyed it, but after seeing HD gaming on other platforms I needed to pick up a PS3. I needed to play Resident Evil 5 as I played through all of them up to that number. I got a PS3 a year before Resident Evil 5. I really wanted to play Metal Gear Solid 4. I got a 60GB backwards compatible PS3's and got Metal Gear Solid 4. I was blown away by the graphics & cinematography in this game. By 2010 I was sawing towards the PS3. I got a Xbox 360 (mainly to play Banjo Kazooie & Banjo Twooie. I has never played the 2nd one up until then and was exited). After a while I swayed back to PS3 as I had already formed most of my Trophies on that console. I only played 360 for a few exclusives.
By the end of the 7th gen I didn't have a bias towards a particular console. I may have liked the PS3 more than the Wii. But deep down I still love Nintendo more than Sony.

8th Gen:
I lent towards Wii U early in the generation in 2013 to 2015/2016. I loved Mario 3D World, Zelda Wind Waker HD, Bayonetta 2, Xenoblade Chronicles X. I was also playing certain Wii games that I missed or had only recently came out like Red Steel 2 & Zelda: Skyward Sword. Then in christmas 2015 I got a PS4 and I was split between the Wii U & PS4. I love Zelda: Breath of a Wild, Fallout 4, Infamous Second Son, Dying Light & Final Fantasy 15. Now in 2018/2019 I'm mainly playing the PS4 & PSVR. Lots of openworld and VR games to buy and play. I was going to get a Switch for Christmas 2018 but found out that there is going to be a new Switch model (It was a hard decision to missed out of Smash Bros for an other year) so I got a PSVR with Resident Evil 7 instead as I was holding out on Resident Evil 7 until getting a VR first so I could play it in the full VR experience. But atm I'm mainly playing on PS4 and PSVR.
But Sometime throughout 2019 I will finally pick up a Switch (when the New Switch model is released) and I will be Mainly playing Switch by the end of the year and the months throughout 2020. I predict by the end of 2020 or early 2021 I may be split evenly between the Switch, PS4 & VR until I decide to get a 9th Gen console, but that is just my prediction of where my tastes may lead in the future. There are tonnes of great games out for PS4 and Switch, also lots of great games to come too.

I have (or have/had in the household): ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, Amiga, NES, Sega Master System, Super Nintendo, Sega Megadrive, Gameboy, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Windows 95, Gameboy Colour, Windows 98, Sega Dreamcast, Gameboy Advance, PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, Windows XP, Nintendo DS, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, Windows Vista, iPhone, Windows 7, 3DS, Wii U, PS4, Windows 10, PSVR, Switch, PS5 & PSVR2. :D

and I Don't have: Magnovox Odyssey, Any Atari's, Any Macintosh computers, Sega Gamegear, Virtual Boy, Sega Saturn, N-gage, Xbox One, Xbox Series X/S, PSP, PSVita & Andoid Phone. Plus any non-main-stream consoles/platforms I haven't mentioned.

Switch is pretty cool. Playing while on the toilet is great!

I've played my switch every day for nearly 2 years. At this point it's almost to the detriment of the rest of my collection since my PS4, Xb1 and retro consoles get a fraction of what I put into the switch. I truly don't understand in the slightest how anyone can say it has a weak library, no it doesn't get a lot of big AAA blockbusters but the indie, AA and retro scene are more that thriving and that makes up the bulk of what I play on all consoles