By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Kingdom Hearts III is nearly upon us

 

Are you buying KH3?

Yes 21 50.00%
 
No 13 30.95%
 
Maybe 8 19.05%
 
Total:42
Hiku said:
Soriku said:

 

Sad but true. I was like 12 and I'm 24 now.

 

melbye said:

I want to play it, but not without having the previous games and it just feels like such a tall mountain to climb at this point to play the whole franchise

 

This one has all the games.
The most essential ones story wise are Kingdom Hearts I, Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth By Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance.
But since the gameplay isn't too great in games like Chain of Memories for example, you can watch videos summarizing the story for some.
I'd say you can get by with just knowing the story for KH1, KH2 and Birth By Sleep, and then watch the secret endings for Coded and DDD on Youtube and you'll be pretty caught up.

If you want to focus on just playing the ones with the best gameplay (imo) then play KH2 and Birth By Sleep.

Victorlink87 said:
I have been waiting so long for KH3, so I am extremely excited for it! However, if it is bad then I probably won't trust Square enix much moving forward.

As a side note, something has always puzzeled me. Why don't these games come out on a Nintendo console? I mean rpgs typically do well as do games that appear to be for young audiences. KH fits both of those categories.

There are a bunch of them on Nintendo handhelds.





As for the home console entries, I'm guessing KH1 and KH2 weren't ported to Xbox or Gamecube because those systems didn't do so well, while PS2 was doing extremely well. After the success of 360, SE announced KH3 for the next Xbox system. As for WiiU and Switch, I imagine they'd probably be very difficult to port KH3 for with acceptable results. There's no way SE would prefer Microsoft over Nintendo for a game like this otherwise.

I suspect it will sell rather poorly on Xbox One, but I really hope I'm wrong.

Sadly time is the problem, not purchasing them. One day maybe



Around the Network
Hiku said:
Soriku said:

 

Sad but true. I was like 12 and I'm 24 now.

melbye said:

I want to play it, but not without having the previous games and it just feels like such a tall mountain to climb at this point to play the whole franchise

This one has all the games.
The most essential ones story wise are Kingdom Hearts I, Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts II, Birth By Sleep, and Dream Drop Distance.
But since the gameplay isn't too great in games like Chain of Memories for example, you can watch videos summarizing the story for some.
I'd say you can get by with just knowing the story for KH1, KH2 and Birth By Sleep, and then watch the secret endings for Coded and DDD on Youtube and you'll be pretty caught up.

If you want to focus on just playing the ones with the best gameplay (imo) then play KH2 and Birth By Sleep.

Victorlink87 said:
I have been waiting so long for KH3, so I am extremely excited for it! However, if it is bad then I probably won't trust Square enix much moving forward.

As a side note, something has always puzzeled me. Why don't these games come out on a Nintendo console? I mean rpgs typically do well as do games that appear to be for young audiences. KH fits both of those categories.

There are a bunch of them on Nintendo handhelds.






As for the home console entries, I'm guessing KH1 and KH2 weren't ported to Xbox or Gamecube because those systems didn't do so well, while PS2 was doing extremely well. After the success of 360, SE announced KH3 for the next Xbox system. As for WiiU and Switch, I imagine they'd probably be very difficult to port KH3 for with acceptable results. There's no way SE would prefer Microsoft over Nintendo for a game like this otherwise.

I suspect it will sell rather poorly on Xbox One, but I really hope I'm wrong.

I really do think it would perform fine on the Switch as long as the proper concessions were made. It would definitely sell well on the Switch, so I would like to see it on the Switch to open a new audience and take it on the go.

 

That being said, yeah I see why it hasnt been on a Nintendo home console yet.



Victorlink87 said:

I really do think it would perform fine on the Switch as long as the proper concessions were made. It would definitely sell well on the Switch, so I would like to see it on the Switch to open a new audience and take it on the go.

That being said, yeah I see why it hasnt been on a Nintendo home console yet.

I don't believe there's a precedence for a game that looks like this and struggles to reach 30fps on PS4 (at least the pre-release build), making its way to Switch. The most impressive port according to Digital Foundry (Doom) had the visual downgrades accompanied by the framerate cut in half. And that's usually the case, but it's not an option in a game like this.

SE said they were looking into if FFXV could work on Switch around a year ago, and if something like that comes to Switch, I'll amend my expectations for future ports. But until then, I don't expect to see them there.
Square haven't even gotten Dragon Quest XI to work on Switch yet, and they announced it for Switch in 2016.

But I'm sure KH3 would sell well on Switch, if it was on the system. Just like Monster Hunter World would.

Last edited by Hiku - on 24 January 2019

I am not ready at all, want to play trough all previous games again but it does look great and i hope it delivers.



melbye said:
Reviews are out
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/kingdom-hearts-iii?ref=hp

Thats a high score for a jrpg.
Metacritic usually doesnt just hand out 85+ to 90s for games like these.

This all points to a rather well made game.



Around the Network
haxxiy said:
melbye said:
Reviews are out
https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/kingdom-hearts-iii?ref=hp

Wow, that's great for Kingdom Hearts. It seems like Nomura still has it on him.

Nomura making good games isn't much of a surprise. Releasing those games in a decent timeframe is another story... I would have waited for FF versus XIII.



I have it pre ordered. Can't wait :D



JRPGfan said:
LivingMetal said:
Regardless of gameplay, I cannot indulge in a game with classic goofy Disney characters literally and figuratively.

You shouldn't juge a book by its cover!

Its just plain old fun... gameplay is good. Its worth a recammendation.

Just never cared for classic Disney characters.  Even as a kid I always prefer Bugs over Mickey.



I will get it eventually. Unfortunately this game comes around during a time I'm really busy so I'll have to wait little longer to play it. I'm just glad that it's actually releasing.



Awesome reviews. Enjoy this game kingdom hearts fans! Ps4/xbox gamers are in for a treat. Hopefully it gets ported to the ps5 next year in true 4k 60fps and it goes on to sell 10m+ LTD.