By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the Switch ever get a Direct competitor?

Bofferbrauer2 said:
fatslob-:O said:

1. Depends on what you mean by 'rich'. Latency isn't much of an issue and I don't think it'll ever be an issue unless you're streaming across different continents. Ping would only become a profound issue in real time competitive modes ... 

2. The Switch's native display is 720p and for the most part 5 Mbps just works according to when DF tested PS Now using PS3 games but comparing image quality to PSP games is very harsh when they are identifiably lacking with tons of low resolution textures and less complex meshes. Sure PS Now isn't going to win any image quality awards but even I can tell the difference between compression and being a generation behind in graphics technology. Even Nvidia, recommends no more than 7 Mbps for their GameStream app ... 

3. Well soon it's going to become a reality because the advent of decommissioning 2G and 3G networks is upon us so there's absolutely nowhere else to go when much more spectrum is going to be freed up for 5G/LTE networks ... 

Orange is fine with a 150GB plan which is a shit ton of data more than what most people could use remotely even for streaming ... 

1. With rich I meant G20 plus some extras. @bolded: Yes, but there's an easier word for that: multiplayer. As in, every multiplayer is either coop or competitive, and with coop everybody gets dragged down to the slowest in the bunch, so these will get affected by lags too.

2. I have a comparison made by the German magazine C'T (stands for Computer&Technology, and they're very profound and thorough in these, so much that you see them in every single IT department in German-speaking countries) which had the same scene at 5Mbps and and 50mbps, and the difference is really night and day. Wish I could upload images to the forums directly so I could show it to you.

3. Why are you so locked up on 2 and 3G? I haven't been connected to anything less than 4 G in the last 2.5 years in Luxembourg, yet as you can see you don't get much data in the subscriptions there. Guess why? Because the deactivation of 2 and 3G doesn't do squat. 5G will probably bring  more data, but it will take years until we'll have full coverage with 5G

Yes, orange is quite good in that regard, but with streaming that can still get eaten up very fast

Update: here's the picture, hope it works. On the left 5Mbps, on the right 50mbps

Around the Network

I REEEEALLY hope someone made a Nintendo Direct joke.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

1. With rich I meant G20 plus some extras. @bolded: Yes, but there's an easier word for that: multiplayer. As in, every multiplayer is either coop or competitive, and with coop everybody gets dragged down to the slowest in the bunch, so these will get affected by lags too.

2. I have a comparison made by the German magazine C'T (stands for Computer&Technology, and they're very profound and thorough in these, so much that you see them in every single IT department in German-speaking countries) which had the same scene at 5Mbps and and 50mbps, and the difference is really night and day. Wish I could upload images to the forums directly so I could show it to you.

3. Why are you so locked up on 2 and 3G? I haven't been connected to anything less than 4 G in the last 2.5 years in Luxembourg, yet as you can see you don't get much data in the subscriptions there. Guess why? Because the deactivation of 2 and 3G doesn't do squat. 5G will probably bring  more data, but it will take years until we'll have full coverage with 5G

Yes, orange is quite good in that regard, but with streaming that can still get eaten up very fast

Update: here's the picture, hope it works. On the left 5Mbps, on the right 50mbps

I know consoles/games are different beasts and also not saying that you are lying. But I can get very good 4k streaming with 15MBps, and quite good HD on 5MBps.

This is picture is terrible, I wouldn't be able to keep playing with that visual on the left.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

I know consoles/games are different beasts and also not saying that you are lying. But I can get very good 4k streaming with 15MBps, and quite good HD on 5MBps.

This is picture is terrible, I wouldn't be able to keep playing with that visual on the left.

Yeah, me neither. And I thik you'll understand now why I compared it to PSP graphics, as the picture on the left would probably fit more a PSP than a PS3

Bofferbrauer2 said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, me neither. And I thik you'll understand now why I compared it to PSP graphics, as the picture on the left would probably fit more a PSP than a PS3

On a PSP the screen would be much smaller so wouldn't look so terrible. At least the games I remember playing looked at least decent.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
Bofferbrauer2 said:

1. 'Multiplayer' can mean many things including turn based games of which lags mean very little and when you check esports earnings, most of the modes used in competitive play straight up aren't based on co-op because many of them aren't very competitive since their designed as team play against AIs. In short you only ever need a low latency when doing some PvP modes but not even all of them at that either since some competitive games aren't all that sensitive to latency like turn-based games such as Hearthstone ... 

3. 2G and 3G still occupy some parts of the radio spectrum but 3G especially can't be ignored because it takes up a sizable chunk of the spectrum as well which could instead be occupied by either 4G or 5G networks. Each and every new wireless network standards have allowed us to increase the amount of bandwidth available by giving us more access to a higher frequency to transmit the data. When it comes to the radio spectrum every last bit helps to increase the channel widths (frequency range) so that we can get more data ... 

Bofferbrauer2 said:

It would be very helpful to have more than 1 sample for a comparison. Gameplay rather than screen shots would make for a more interesting comparison as well ...

YUP. Google is a Coming...