By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Best Exclusive Games of every year this gen

PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo's current gen console, whichever you consider it to be have had on the whole some amazing exclusives. Which exclusives are your favourite? Do state why you like them more than other exclusives of its year. It will make for a better discussion.

Exclusives

2012 - New Super Mario Bros, Nintendo Land

2013 - Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Forza Motorsport 5, Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall

2014 - Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, SSB, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Forza Horizon 2, Driveclub, LittleBigPlanet 3, Infamous Second Son

2015 - Super Mario Maker, Pokken Tournament, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Yoshi's Woolly World, Halo 5, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Until Dawn

2016 - Star Fox Zero, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian

2017 - Zelda Breath of the Wild, Arms, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Gran Turismo Sport

2018 - Octopath Traveler, Pokemon, SSB Ultimate, God of War, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus, Spiderman

Around the Network

I have to admit looking at that 2015 list makes me realize that Nintendo actually had a somewhat decent year in 2015. It's too bad that the Wii U was already dead by that point though, and most of those were new IPs so they did a lot to sell the Wii U audience on purchasing more software but not a lot on selling new hardware (except maybe Splatoon in Japan).

Well, let's see. Just current gen titles. I might miss some since I'm going mostly from memory. Also, there are a lot of exclusives I haven't played.

2012: Nothing that I can think of. Wii U had nothing of note out yet, and the other two consoles hadn't released yet. I played some Nintendo Land, but that lasted about 20 minutes before we gave up on it and went back to playing other, better games.
2013: Super Mario 3D World (The only exclusive title from this year I can remember enjoying, the other two consoles had nothing of interest out at this point)
2014: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, DKC: Tropical Freeze (Always been a huge fan of Smash, and this was a great entry in the series as well. Played fairy little of Tropical Freeze, but what little I did play was great)
2015: Bloodborne (One of the best games ever made and by far the best game of 2015)
2016: Uncharted 4, Ratchet & Clank, The Last Guardian
2017: Horizon Zero Dawn, Yakuza 0 (If the latter counts since it's also on PC), Gravity Rush 2, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2018: Nothing yet, haven't played any exclusives from last year.

2014: Bayonetta 2
2015: Super Mario Maker
2016: Uncharted 4
2017: Super Mario Odyssey
2018: God Of War 4

I think it's better to include portable consoles as well. Some exclusives like Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Tearaway deserve to be mentioned.

My favourites would be:

2012 - Fire Emblem: Awakening

2013 - Pokémon XY

2014 - Mario Kart 8

2015 - Xenoblade Chronicles X

2016 - Pokémon Sun/Moon

2017 - The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

2018 - Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Last edited by Xephirus - on 20 January 2019

Around the Network

2011 - Mario Kart 7

2013 - A Link Between Worlds, Pokémon X&Y

2014 - Mario Kart 8, Smash 4

2015 - Mario Maker, Splatoon, Monster Hunter 4U

2016 - Fire Emblem Fates

2017 - Breath of the Wild, Mario Odyssey

2018 - Super Mario Party, Smash Ultimate

2014: Mario Kart 8
2015: Splatoon
2016: Forza Horizon 3
2017: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
2018: Forza Horizon 4

A couple notes:
1) Sony and especially Nintendo have been killing it in terms of exclusives, while Xbox has been somewhat of a letdown (excluding Forza)
2) There are quite a few PS Exclusives I havent played yet, so the list can change when I do finally get a PS4.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Ka-pi96 said:
2012: Crusader Kings 2. It's a great game and I don't discriminate against PC exclusives.

2013: Killzone Shadow Fall. I actually really enjoyed this game. Never played the campaign but I played an absolute tonne of the multiplayer which is very unusual for me, it was just really fun though.

2014: Infamous Second Son. I've always loved the Infamous games and this was another great one. One of the best games of the gen full stop.

2015: Galactic Civilisations 3. Weak year in terms of exclusives so it's an easy win. Decent game, but wouldn't be my exclusive of the year if there were any real competition.

2016: Total War Warhammer. Another really week year in terms of exclusives. But TWWH is a fantastic game that I really enjoyed so probably would have taken this spot even if there was more competition.

2017: Total War Warhammer 2. Same as 2016.

2018: N/A. Haven't played a single exclusive from that year.

Glad to have another Infamous fan xD

Infamous Second Son is the most underrated game of this gen by consumers, its not the best Infamous game but definitely among the best games of this gen. Its so fun!

GOWTLOZ said:

PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo's current gen console, whichever you consider it to be have had on the whole some amazing exclusives. Which exclusives are your favourite? Do state why you like them more than other exclusives of its year. It will make for a better discussion.

Exclusives

2012 - New Super Mario Bros, Nintendo Land

2013 - Pikmin 3, Super Mario 3D World, Forza Motorsport 5, Knack, Killzone Shadow Fall

2014 - Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, SSB, Captain Toad, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors Forza Horizon 2, Driveclub, LittleBigPlanet 3, Infamous Second Son

2015 - Super Mario Maker, Pokken Tournament, Splatoon, Xenoblade Chronicles X, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Yoshi's Woolly World, Halo 5, Bloodborne, The Order 1886, Until Dawn

2016 - Star Fox Zero, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted 4, The Last Guardian

2017 - Zelda Breath of the Wild, Arms, Super Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Gran Turismo Sport

2018 - Octopath Traveler, Pokemon, SSB Ultimate, God of War, Detroit, Shadow of the Colossus, Spiderman

How can you omit one of the best games of the generation? The Last of Us?

Ka-pi96 said:
2012: Crusader Kings 2. It's a great game and I don't discriminate against PC exclusives.

2013: Killzone Shadow Fall. I actually really enjoyed this game. Never played the campaign but I played an absolute tonne of the multiplayer which is very unusual for me, it was just really fun though.

2014: Infamous Second Son. I've always loved the Infamous games and this was another great one. One of the best games of the gen full stop.

2015: Galactic Civilisations 3. Weak year in terms of exclusives so it's an easy win. Decent game, but wouldn't be my exclusive of the year if there were any real competition.

2016: Total War Warhammer. Another really week year in terms of exclusives. But TWWH is a fantastic game that I really enjoyed so probably would have taken this spot even if there was more competition.

GOWTLOZ said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Glad to have another Infamous fan xD

Infamous Second Son is the most underrated game of this gen by consumers, its not the best Infamous game but definitely among the best games of this gen. Its so fun!

I would also like to join your inFamous gang and nominate myself as leader, because I got the oddball capitalization in the title right. Great series.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."