By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Switch vs PS4 2019

Which console will sell more and by how much?

Switch by 20 million plus 9 6.92%

Switch by 15-20 million 1 0.77%

Switch by 10-15 million 10 7.69%

Switch by 5-10 million 44 33.85%

Switch by under 5 million 44 33.85%

PS4 by under 5 million 14 10.77%

PS4 by 5-10 million 2 1.54%

PS4 by 10-15 million 1 0.77%

PS4 by 15-20 million 1 0.77%

PS4 by 20 million plus 4 3.08%

Total:130
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo is stumbling into 2019 without a Direct and clear release schedule, so the first half of the year won't be up by much. PS4 price cut is a given, so a steep decline can be ruled out. I voted Switch by under 5m.

Switch - 19-20m
PS4 - 15-16m

Very sound analysis. I wholeheartedly agree.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Around the Network
Rafie said:
RolStoppable said:
Nintendo is stumbling into 2019 without a Direct and clear release schedule, so the first half of the year won't be up by much. PS4 price cut is a given, so a steep decline can be ruled out. I voted Switch by under 5m.

Switch - 19-20m
PS4 - 15-16m

Very sound analysis. I wholeheartedly agree.

They aren't really though aren't hey? Japan is up a lot over last year and one nintendo direct is all it takes to get everything into focus. Sure no mp4 but so much more. Because we have all these studios who would have to be doing nothing for 2019 to be shitty

Just a guy who doesn't want to be bored. Also

I'll revisit this thread after the first quarter of 2019 and check the sales figures. It might shed some light into how the year is shaping up and Nintendo should have put out a lot more information on what games are coming by then.

I'm updating this thread after VG Chartz is now showing console sales until 30/3 which is one day away from Q1 complete. This current results are interesting.
2019 to date -
Nintendo Switch - 3.4 million
Playstation 4 - 3.1 million

This means in a 2 horse race the Switch is currently selling 52.31% compared to 47.69% for the PS4 in 2019. As stated in the OP the PS4 is a beast and if the Switch can't comfortably beat it in 2019 it would be a great achievement for Sony. I think that most will agree that Nintendo has enough big hitters in 2019 to get the job done but with such a slim margin at this stage does anyone now think Sony will make the poll results look like we overestimated Nintendo?

I'll update the thread at the end of June.....

This is another update to the thread and shows sales data until June 29th, one day short of the end of Q2 2019. Once again the PS4 is holding it's own and looks set to defy the popular opinion in the OP poll that the Switch would easily dominate it in 2019.
In 2019 to date -
Nintendo Switch - 6.1 million
Playstation 4 - 5.3 million

This means that the Switch has 53.51% of the 2019 head to head market with the PS4 tracking at 46.49%. I think most will agree that Nintendo has some seriously heavy hitting software to come in the second half of this year but will it be enough to achieve the domination that many expected? Will the Lite be the SKU that gives the Switch the edge going into the 2019 holiday season?

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this and I'll update the thread at the end of September to see if Q3 changed the situation in favour of either console.

Around the Network
Trumpstyle said:

Nintendo has no cards left except a switch handheld only for 200$ and that won't release this year. I suspect 2018 was peak year for switch and for 2019 it will sell 14 million units.

Well, this post hasn't aged well... (Though to be fair it was pretty terrible to begin with)

tripenfall said:
This is another update to the thread and shows sales data until June 29th, one day short of the end of Q2 2019. Once again the PS4 is holding it's own and looks set to defy the popular opinion in the OP poll that the Switch would easily dominate it in 2019.
In 2019 to date -
Nintendo Switch - 6.1 million
Playstation 4 - 5.3 million

This means that the Switch has 53.51% of the 2019 head to head market with the PS4 tracking at 46.49%. I think most will agree that Nintendo has some seriously heavy hitting software to come in the second half of this year but will it be enough to achieve the domination that many expected? Will the Lite be the SKU that gives the Switch the edge going into the 2019 holiday season?

I'd like to hear any thoughts on this and I'll update the thread at the end of September to see if Q3 changed the situation in favour of either console.

Uh... it really doesn't look that way. Switch is up YoY by 23.9%, while PS4 is down YoY by 24.7%. If those YoY changes hold for the rest of the year, Switch will be at 20.2 million and PS4 will be at 13.6 million.

Last year, PS4 sold 2.12 million more units than Switch did in the first half, but Switch actually sold 0.45 million more in the second half. If Switch is already ahead in the first half of 2019, it's going to be ahead by an even greater margin in the second half because its sales are more concentrated in the holidays than PS4's. 70% of Switch's 2018 sales were in the second half, versus only 61% of PS4's 2018 sales.

mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

Uh... it really doesn't look that way. Switch is up YoY by 23.9%, while PS4 is down YoY by 24.7%. If those YoY changes hold for the rest of the year, Switch will be at 20.2 million and PS4 will be at 13.6 million.

Last year, PS4 sold 2.12 million more units than Switch did in the first half, but Switch actually sold 0.45 million more in the second half. If Switch is already ahead in the first half of 2019, it's going to be ahead by an even greater margin in the second half because its sales are more concentrated in the holidays than PS4's. 70% of Switch's 2018 sales were in the second half, versus only 61% of PS4's 2018 sales.

This. Never mind the Switch Lite.

Edit: also, hi StarDoor! It's been a while

Oh yeah, definitely. Even before the Lite's announcement, the signs were pointing to a Switch blowout. A new model just seals the deal.

And hi to you too, mZuzek! I've been busy for a few months, but I haven't forgotten about you guys.

mZuzek said:
StarDoor said:

And hi to you too, mZuzek! I've been busy for a few months, but I haven't forgotten about you guys.

Will you be around by the end of the year?

What, are you already advertising for this year's Greatest Games thread?

Also, yes.

zorg1000 said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:
I think Switch can sell about 25m in 2019, assuming they are able to manufacture and ship that much. Not sure how many the PS4 will sell though. I think Switch will be above PS4 by at least 10m though. So Switch by 10-15m.

That's ridiculous

I still stand by my prediction.  

As StarDoor said, if current trends continue Switch will be 20.2m and PS4 will be 13.6m.  That puts up Switch by 6.6m.  Now when you factor in both Switch's upcoming software schedule and the new hardware model, I think being 10m+ ahead is pretty reasonable.

I am still very confident in my 25m prediction for Switch.  The only thing that can kill my "10-15m ahead" prediction is if Sony issues a major permanent price cut.  Still no word if they are going to do this or not.