By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - 24 frames per second is starting to look awkward in 4k.

I prefer film in...

24 fps. 28 62.22%

30 fps. 3 6.67%

48 fps. 4 8.89%

60 fps. 4 8.89%

North of 60.... 3 6.67%

Any/indifferent/comments/middle America. 3 6.67%

Total:45
CGI-Quality said:
SvennoJ said:

Why do those effects make it look more realistic? Does it really make them look more realistic, or simply more like what you are used to seeing from a camera on a screen? Many of those effects do not make sense in VR at all. Depth of field, useless. Motion blur, nope you can follow things with your eyes. Lens flares, film grain, bloom, chromatic aberration (already comes with the lenses unfortunately) all does not make any sense. Fake HDR breaks immersion and well camera shake, a definite no. VR aims for realism, yet can't use all the techniques that make games look more realistic!

That is why I said the genre and scenario are relevant. As an example, no, lens flares won't make much sense in a 3rd person game with a character jumping from one platform to the next, but certain FPS titles make use of it that make total sense. It's still a case-by-case basis, though. Very few features do I find totally unnecessary (chromatic aberration being the main one).

But, none of that really matters when talking frame rates (unless they inherently interfere with it ~ which is a whole other matter). Those are mainly visual flares.

thismeintiel said: 

It is 100% hyperbolic to say that 30 FPS is choppy. 

Nope.

Movies run at 6 FPS less than those games, and they are not choppy, either. 

Movies and games cannot be compared 1:1 due to the nature of interaction vs not. One thing that is for sure, movies that run at higher Hz appear smoother.

And it's not just from experience that I know this, it is just a scientific fact.  It only takes ~20 FPS to fool the brain that a series of images are actually in motion, without the choppiness of something like stop motion animation. 

I've heard of no scientific fact that can tell one person what is choppy vs someone else, but I'd be interested to see a source of such.

At 24 FPS and 30 FPS, it is impossible for it to look choppy. 

Nope, it isn't.

Sure, it's not as smooth as 60 FPS, but nothing choppy about it. 

By comparison, it is (I assume you don't have a monitor capable of 120+Hz).

And motion blur is not to remove any kind of choppiness from low framerate, it is to address image ghosting from previous frames, mainly caused by turning the camera quickly. 

Never argued that motion blur removed anything. It attempts to mask lower frame rates (much of what we saw last gen).

It's also used to simulate something our eyes naturally do with motion.  A game running at 18 FPS isn't going to magically look smooth because you threw some motion blur at it.

Indeed, which is why I wouldn't argue that it, nor 30fps, is smooth.

Well, glad we agree that it is about preference.  30 FPS for games is here to stay because many think it actually looks more cinematic.  Same goes for 24 FPS for film. 

30fps is here to stay (on console) because of power constraints and designers preferring visuals over framerate. Film is a different beast entirely and I've not heard of any correlation between the two.

My take.

And check this out: http://www.technologyx.com/featured/understanding-frame-rate-look-truth-behind-30v60-fps/

Fantastic read that attempts to make sense of much of this.

Hmm. An article that completely disregards artistic choice or preference, and claims it is always about limitations.  Then goes on to address things I barely see anyone say, creating a strawman.  No one is debating that people can see the difference.  The point some prefer one over the other depending on the goal of realism.  But, PC Master Race argument it is then.  I'm just going to stop this "debate" here then.  We will just agree to disagree.

Around the Network

FPS (first person shooters) sure, response time is important, same as in VR. Animation would be fine at 30 fps though, as long as camera movement is at high frame rate. Didn't Halo 4 reduce the frame rate for things further away?

Here's a link trying to expain why HFR is less immersive
https://gizmodo.com/5969817/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-masterclass-in-why-48-fps-fails

PSVR is on the right track with reprojection. It keeps the camera movement (your head movements) smooth at 120fps, while the game runs at 60fps. Even watching 24fps movies on it is fine as your head movements (and projected screen) are still updated at 120fp. The lost bear, a psvr platformer that plays out on stage while you sit in a theater, has animation that runs at much lower frame rate. Looks perfectly fine.

Perhaps in the future we'll get object based movement like Dolby Atmos for sound. The only way to achieve true smooth motion is to limit the steps objects take to 1 pixel at a time. When you follow an object with your eyes, you collect its light on your retina. If it skips across the screen you can't focus on it. Sometimes that's intentional.

I'm not sure what impact variable frame rate will have. I do a lot of racing, so much I notice the difference in display lag when switching to my other tv. I have to adjust my brake and turn in points slightly in the faster cars not to be too early or too late. However when the game runs between 40 to 80fps, won't that throw me off all the time? The difference is minor, until devs take variable frame rate as a pass to put anything out from 20 to 60fps as acceptable.At least for racing, fps and display lag don't matter all that much as long as they are constant. Any slowdown or judder immediately throws me off.

Anyway I agree, for interactive media, especially first person based, higher frame rate is preferable.

pikashoe said:
Higher frame rates look awful in film. It makes sets and effects look bad. Also the comment about vinyl is just factually wrong. Vinyl is the least compressed way to listen to recorded music. It has flaws, but in terms of range vinyl is superior to cds, tapes, mp3 etc.

I legit thought that sentence, complete with the use of the word "fools" and then misspelling of Vinyl was the start of this threads lean into actually being a joke... but then I read on... and it wasn't. Missed potential imo.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

John2290 said:
4k 60 fps just looks so incredibly smooth. Even 30 fps is infinitely better than 24 fps but getting at 60 fps, yes it does look odd at first but when you get used to it after 5 or 10 minutes you see it for a new cinematic rate that it is and nostalgia goes put thr window. Watching these trailers on Youtube at 4k 60 fps and then going back yo normal trailers is sickening. I want these films at 60 fps so badly.

Ok, english is not my native language, but I was under the impression that "nostalgia" was the act of yearning for something long past.  

So.. how could I feel nostalgia for something that I use everyday in the present? Like, I'm at home watching my regular 24fps movie, then I set up my newly bought 4K TV and then BOOM! 10 minutes later my "nostalgia" goes thru the window.  Am I missing something here?

As for the smoothness of it, well, idk but when I was watching The Hobbit it felt odd to me during the whole movie, and in some parts I even felt a little dizzy.  And I had no idea what was going on at that time. It wasn´t until much later that I learned that it was filmed in a higher framerate.

And Idk, but it seems to me like you are trying to push your preferences into everybody else.  And sorry, but that's not how it works.

24FPS is visibly low - too low. But people are so used to it that switching to 48FPS was off-turning for most of them.

My compromise would be to increase in babysteps, so it woudn't be too off-putting for those used to 24 frames but also noticely better for those who can see all the flaws of that low framerate. Hence, an increase to 30FPS would do for now - and also wouldn't cost too much additional bandwith and is even easier to work on 60FPS panels. Later on down the line, increases to 36, 48 and finally 60FPS over the course of many years should eliminate the problems with the low framerate peu à pau.

Around the Network
Darwinianevolution said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

source? 

https://bid.berkeley.edu/cs160-fall12/index.php/Human_Information_Processing

Though here it says it's 20 fps. Again, not an expert on this, so take everything with a pinch of salt.

its more like 12fps at very minimum. 

20fps was the minimum audio would sync with video correctly. They went with 24fps, because its even and divisible, by 2, 3, 4, 6, 8, 12

Your TV would be the cause of the jitters when panning.

It is like the old says when you converted NTSC to PAL, PAL video would jitter if the TV screen wasn't capable of running progressive video.

What i found with modern TV, they are designed for sports and gaming, so they try to automatically add more smoothing to it at higher HZ. So when you put in a movie it looks fake like a tv show or a home handy cam recording. You need to turn all that interpolation shit off and it will look mint. like it would in a cinema.

Thankfully TVs have movie mode and game mode etc for you to change settings in each one.

Cobretti2 said:
Your TV would be the cause of the jitters when panning.

It is like the old says when you converted NTSC to PAL, PAL video would jitter if the TV screen wasn't capable of running progressive video.

What i found with modern TV, they are designed for sports and gaming, so they try to automatically add more smoothing to it at higher HZ. So when you put in a movie it looks fake like a tv show or a home handy cam recording. You need to turn all that interpolation shit off and it will look mint. like it would in a cinema.

Thankfully TVs have movie mode and game mode etc for you to change settings in each one.

Yeah, judder in panning in 24fps on TVs usually comes either from 3:2 pulldown conversion to NTSC (on SDTVs), HDTV set not being able to run at multiple of 24fps or not being able to recognise and reverse 3:2 pull down.

Seems to me people are just getting used to higher FPS and then of course start noticing the stutter of lower FPS. Welcome to the world of a PC player trying to play on consoles where people say that they cannot see the stutter but you still do.

Funnily enough I have never cared about low fps in movies. The only thing I notice is when they use 12fps animation on CG in anime.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

John2290 said:
vivster said:
Seems to me people are just getting used to higher FPS and then of course start noticing the stutter of lower FPS. Welcome to the world of a PC player trying to play on consoles where people say that they cannot see the stutter but you still do.

Funnily enough I have never cared about low fps in movies. The only thing I notice is when they use 12fps animation on CG in anime.

Yeah. I think it's the VR headset that has made me notice it. Most games are 60 but somehow look as smooth as 120 with the tech. That's five times the frames of a 24 fps film, no wonder I've started to notice the difference. I used to see no difference in 30 v 60 fps tests on YT however now It is night and day. 60 is butter compared... oh lord, am I now with the master race?

Nòòòòòòòòòòòò....

The #masterrace is playing on a minimum of 4k120, you're not quite there yet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.