By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

EricHiggin said:
zorg1000 said:

Power has nothing to do with whether something is a console or not, by that logic Wii was not a console because of how weak it was compared to PS3/360.

PC gamers can play some console games using a controller. Therefore PC can be considered a console?

Sure why not? Its just considered a different market. And usually people dont buy $300 PC’s for gaming. So its usually at a different price point which makes it non competitive with consoles. But if you want to call it a console you can.

Around the Network
EricHiggin said:
zorg1000 said:

Power has nothing to do with whether something is a console or not, by that logic Wii was not a console because of how weak it was compared to PS3/360.

PC gamers can play some console games using a controller. Therefore PC can be considered a console?

That's not a rebuttle, it has nothing to do with what I said.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

drinkandswim said:
EricHiggin said:

Sure why not? Its just considered a different market. And usually people dont buy $300 PC’s for gaming. So its usually at a different price point which makes it non competitive with consoles. But if you want to call it a console you can.

Sure I could, but a world where anyone can call anything whatever they want, and they actually do, is a world of complete nonsense and chaos. My point was that it's not as simple as one item that makes a device what is it. Just because I used performance as an example in my prior post, doesn't mean it's the only factor. Obviously if the gaming device doesn't have a screen, or battery, it's pretty tough to consider it a handheld or hybrid, which would leave it being console or PC. Technicalities like a small controller screen or mobo bat don't count. Considering a console is an internally fixed device (minus the mass storage) and PC is not, you can define them fairly easily and it simply makes things much easier this way.

EricHiggin said:
drinkandswim said:

Sure I could, but a world where anyone can call anything whatever they want, and they actually do, is a world of complete nonsense and chaos. My point was that it's not as simple as one item that makes a device what is it. Just because I used performance as an example in my prior post, doesn't mean it's the only factor. Obviously if the gaming device doesn't have a screen, or battery, it's pretty tough to consider it a handheld or hybrid, which would leave it being console or PC. Technicalities like a small controller screen or mobo bat don't count. Considering a console is an internally fixed device (minus the mass storage) and PC is not, you can define them fairly easily and it simply makes things much easier this way.

I can actually see next gen going the route of not having fixed internals. Then what are we going to call them PC’s or Consoles? I think i considered them separate because PC’s had multifunctions and consoles were only for gaming, but that isnt even the case anymore. I can see the lines getting more blurry.

drinkandswim said:
EricHiggin said:

I can actually see next gen going the route of not having fixed internals. Then what are we going to call them PC’s or Consoles? I think i considered them separate because PC’s had multifunctions and consoles were only for gaming, but that isnt even the case anymore. I can see the lines getting more blurry.

If next gen consoles can't swap out all of the same parts a PC can, that would still differentiate them. It may not be much, but it would still make them different. Maybe a replaceable GPU in some form factor, or an add on, I could potentially see that, and that would be it, but I think that's unlikely considering the upgraded consoles. It's just easier for everyone and cost wise it's probably not all that much different either after a couple of years.

Around the Network
drinkandswim said:
EricHiggin said:

Consoles are defined by being a closed platform while PCs are an open platform.

Flilix said:
CrazyGPU said:

Edit: I forgot. for those that say that the switch is everything because you have a home and mobile device,

The Switch is like a duck, it can run, fly and swim. But it flies like a duck. And PS4 and XBOX are eagles. Don´t compare ducs and eagles ,the flying experience is different ;)

that doesn´t make the ps4 swim..... choises.

I don't get why you're downplaying ducks so much, you're seriously underestimating their flying abilities.

Ducks fly pretty fast, at about 80 km/h. They also have great stamina, and take way longer flights (thousands of kilometers, in only a few days time) than birds like the eagle.

And eagles don't actually fly particullarly fast, they average around 50 km/h - which is a fair bit slower than ducks. They only reach top speeds of 250 km/h when taking a nosedive.

So I think it's quite clear that the Switch is the better console.

Ok, then change ducks for chickens, Switch would be the chicken and PS4 the eagle.

Wyrdness said:
drinkandswim said:

So far!

drinkandswim said:
Wyrdness said:

So far!

You say that like consoles are a brand new type of product. Assuming they may bend a little, sure, but to become a PC, assuming all their games are able to play on PC as well, really leaves them with little advantage, which is a big reason to keep them separate.

drinkandswim said:
Wyrdness said:

So far!

That's how it'll always be as the console markets selling point is being a closed platform with out the tinkering required on open platforms like PCs which is why the PCs that are designed like consoles are still classed as PCs. The second you remove that selling you begin to alienate the consumer base it's the same reason both Sony and MS failed to sell a console at a high price with the PS3 and X1's launch prices as being affordable is another of the markets main basis.