Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe passed Super Mario Odyssey

Which game will surpass Mario Kart 8 Deluxe as bestselling Switch title?

Pokemon Let's Go (Combined) 0 0.00%
 
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate 17 39.53%
 
Animal Crossing 2019 0 0.00%
 
Pokemon 2019 18 41.86%
 
Mario Kart 9 6 13.95%
 
Other game (please write in the comments) 2 4.65%
 
Total:43
RolStoppable said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

This is something I've occasionally thought as well. I've been thinking about making a thread about which Switch exclusives will get sequels ... because a lot of franchises that were once per console, yet twice per generation now suddenly have a big ? mark as to whether they'll get a Switch sequel. 

I think Splatoon 3 and Mario Kart 9 could very definitely be Switch games. 

Everything that released early has a good chance for a sequel, except for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. Another 3D Zelda, 3D Mario, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Splatoon... three of those are very much expected to get sequels anyway. Pokémon will have several games if we combine regular and Let's Go variation, because Pokémon releases almost every year.

It has to do with how long Nintendo is expecting the life span of the Switch. If the successor should release at 2023 or ealier, I won't expect a new 3D Zelda, Mario Kart or Splatoon on the Switch. I estimate that Nintendo would make sure to have a great first year for their new system as they did with the Switch. Therefore they would save those games for the first year of that new console.

But I do see sequels for Mario Party and Super Mario Odyssey arriving on the Switch as well as the different Pokemon games that you mentioned.



Around the Network
Rêveur said:
Am I the only one that could never get into any of the Smash games? I discovered the series on the Gamecube, but wasn't my cup of tea. People who think Smash will dethrone Mario Kart 8 Deluxe believe it will do so because they believe it's the "bigger" franchise, or because they say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just a port? Personally, I don't see the appeal to Smash but I guess I'm in the minority. Mario Kart is the ultimate party game for me. It's the only game everyone can pick up and play at social gatherings, that doesn't require reading, let's everyone have their turn in a reasonable amount of time, and that is just immensely fun.

It's funny because GameCube was exactly the one other time Smash Bros. outsold Mario Kart. Right now, people are thinking it might happen again because of Smash Bros. hype being at an all-time high, with insane first month sales, whereas MK8 is just a port, albeit sales don't seem to care.

And yeah, Smash isn't as good as a 'social' party game because it is a lot more complex than Mario Kart even at a basic level. I'm pretty sure you're not the "only one" who never got into Smash (come on), but it can't possibly be that hard to understand the appeal.



Rêveur said:
Am I the only one that could never get into any of the Smash games? I discovered the series on the Gamecube, but wasn't my cup of tea. People who think Smash will dethrone Mario Kart 8 Deluxe believe it will do so because they believe it's the "bigger" franchise, or because they say Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is just a port? Personally, I don't see the appeal to Smash but I guess I'm in the minority. Mario Kart is the ultimate party game for me. It's the only game everyone can pick up and play at social gatherings, that doesn't require reading, let's everyone have their turn in a reasonable amount of time, and that is just immensely fun.

I tried twice to get into Smash. The first time was at my cousins house with Super Smash Bros. Melee. Sure he beat the crap out of me but I felt no appeal playing that game.

Few years later I borrowed from a friend Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I gave it around four hours but I got so bored playing that game. Since then I never touched any game of the series, but I am still happy for those who enjoy it. 



Mario Kart is a force to be reckoned with. I tried the Game comparison tool on this website and compared Deluxe with MK7 and MKDS and guess what... The game is even outpacing the DS iteration. So it might end up at 30 million, becoming the 2nd best selling Mario Kart of all time!



Mario Kart Tour could even boost MK8Deluxe even more



Pocky Lover Boy! 

Around the Network

I think Smash might pass it for a short time, but then Mario Kart will retake it later on. Once Pokemon Gen 8 comes out, I think Mario Kart will be at around the same level or slightly above traditional mainline Pokemon sales. And unless Gen 8 is a groundbreaking, revolutionary leap for the franchise like Breath of the Wild was for Zelda, then Gen 8 will never catch it. I think Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will end up being the best selling Switch game when all is said and done.



Pancho A. Ovies

Nintendo Switch in Japan (Famitsu): 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=238945&page=2

PlayStation 4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch: 2018 vs. 2019
http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=239387

It's kinda sad that the top seller on the Switch is a game that was already the top seller on the Wii U.



GuyDuke said:

Mario Kart is a force to be reckoned with. I tried the Game comparison tool on this website and compared Deluxe with MK7 and MKDS and guess what... The game is even outpacing the DS iteration. So it might end up at 30 million, becoming the 2nd best selling Mario Kart of all time!

Here are official shipments for recent Mario Kart titles after 6 quarters

Mario Kart DS-7.03 million

Mario Kart Wii-18.36 million

Mario Kart 7-8.08 million

Mario Kart 8-5.87 million

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe-11.71 million



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

NightlyPoe said:
mZuzek said:

Why do people still think Mario Kart 9 will happen on the Switch *sigh*

I actually lean towards it not.

I do not see a point in it either really.  The game is bigger on Switch than it was on WiiU, it may as well just be considered a major Switch exclusive at this point.  The only reason I would see them bringing MK9 to Switch is as a trump card if sales slow, but I still think they have a bigger idea for it.

 

Imagine if the Switch 2 had MK9 as an exclusive during its launch window.

Last edited by Shiken - on 05 January 2019

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Shiken said:
NightlyPoe said:

I actually lean towards it not.

I do not see a point in it either really.  The game is bigger on Switch than it was on WiiU, it may as well just be considered a major Switch exclusive at this point.  The only reason I would see them bringing MK9 to Switch is as a trump card if sales slow, but I still think they have a bigher idea for it.

 

Imagine if the Switch 2 had MK9 as an exclusive during its launch window.

That's exactly what will happen. MK8D will continue to be one of the best selling Switch games each and every year it's on the market and will likely go on to sell over 25 million, making it the 2nd best selling game in the franchise.



When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.