By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - cycycychris reviews: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA (Switch)

I still not sure if this franchise is for me or not. I do enjoy it typically early on, but it starts getting dull after awhile.

Around the Network

I havn't seen any bugs and went on 100% completion on the game. Enjoyed it from start to finish and also got the good ending.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

The PS4 version aparently has much better graphics (I never played the Switch version to know). Id rate this game 8,5 but i always loved this series so Im biased.

Definitely disagree with you on story. The first 20 hours aren't anything awe-inspiring or mind-blowing, but they're mostly setting up backstory and developing characters. Those first 20 hours were where I became invested in the characters, then when things get really crazy you have enough of an opinion about them to give a shit what happens to them. As for the fact that aside from the backstory and character development moments you're just exploring the island, that was honestly a plus for me. The whole thing felt like a mix of RPG with Metroidvania, and charting the island felt rewarding for its own sake. The rest of the story is just twist after twist after twist and I never expected the ending, even though I did try to guess it and kept thinking I knew where it was going the ultimate ending really surprised me.

The question is should I play it?
I haven’t played a Y’s game since Y’s 2.

Played Y’s 1 on the Mastersystem and loved it. Later played Y’s 2 on I don’t know what system and found it boring (not bad just boring).

Around the Network
DakonBlackblade said:
The PS4 version aparently has much better graphics (I never played the Switch version to know). Id rate this game 8,5 but i always loved this series so Im biased.

It's not a huge difference if you're playing it in portable mode, and not really a deal breaker even in console mode. Most notable graphical issue on Switch is that the framerate for enemies dips when they're far enough away. It's rather immersion breaking when the giant enemy off in the distance is walking with jerky motion at like 15 frames a second while you're moving at 60 frames a second. I'd still give it an 8.5 just because I loved the rest of the game so much.

cycycychris said:

I think the meat of the first 20 hours story was suppose to be the back story, which they told while you were sleeping. I didn't really find any of that interesting, especially since none of it was voice acted (If it was VA, could made this completely different).

There it is, I'm satisfied with this thread.

Welcome to Ys games :D

And I still love every second.

I started this game over the summer, and while I enjoyed it at first, it definitely began to feel like a slog around 10 hours in. I like the community building and crafting aspect to it, but I've played enough games that do it better that it wasn't enough to keep my interest. I assume the story gets better, but even where I stopped (~20 hours) it was still doing setup for the main plot and wasn't doing much to keep me invested. It kinda felt like one of those 12 episode anime that spend 9 episodes introducing all the characters, and only 3 episodes showing everyone together. The only character I really cared about when I stopped was Laxia, the other characters still seemed like caricatures, and Adol is basically an avatar with a set name and character design.

I assume both the story and the characters improve as I go on though...so I plan to get back into it at some point to get that payoff...but the game was definitely taking its sweet time getting there. Also found it bizarre that the titular character had only appeared in storybook style cutscenes where I left off...but I assume there's a reason for that as well.

Agreed about the voice acting...though to be fair I dislike most English voice acting in JRPGs. This one got a dual audio update at least, and the JP voice actors were a huge improvement.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

cycycychris said: 
Spindel said:
The question is should I play it?
I haven’t played a Y’s game since Y’s 2.

Played Y’s 1 on the Mastersystem and loved it. Later played Y’s 2 on I don’t know what system and found it boring (not bad just boring).

I never played any of the Ys games before so I'm not the best to answer this, but I looked at a youtube video of Ys 2. From the little parts I watched, Ys 8 looks conceptually as a 3D of Ys 2 with a lot complexity to its combat, setting, and probably everything else. Hard for me to say, if you can overlook a slow start, the last 7 or so hour are quite great. Maybe someone who played the series could jump in.

About the combat in Y’s 1 and 2.

There was no button pressing involved, you just bump in to enemies and each contact generated a dice roll with the outcome determined by your and the enemies stats :)

Really primitive but it had it’s charm and as I said, I have fond memories of Y’s 1.