By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - (NakeyJakey) Rockstar's game design is outdated

This was posted 2 weeks ago, but still worth a watch IMO. 

Even though Rockstar is one my favourite developers out there, I cant help but agree. Even though GTA 5 is in my top 5 games of all time.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Around the Network

Water is wet. Does that really have to be stated :)

Eh, it's the highest rated gotg, outdated is good!

Well, they have a basic formula that has been working (extremely well, according to reviews) for a while now. So, why fix what's not broken? Also, they literally just made one of the highest rated games of all time with this formula. Doesn't that basically prove that the formula *is* current?

I agree with many of his bullet points. It may be more fun to have less specific requirements in the game. But, the reality is that games have trended *away* from that. So, I just can't agree with the "outdated" conclusion.

Haven't watched the video, but will try to eventually. My RDR 2 hype is effectively dead. I have loved R* historically, but the direction GTA has taken.....I almost never watch streams on Twitch, but did so for about 10 minutes last night. My takeaway was that this, THIS, is what GTA has become. It was like what I'd imagine watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians is like. Some bubble-headed streamer, with thousands of viewers, living some bizarre fantasy life of excess. "Ooooo, I'm gon buy' this car. Id' be nice if ( some guy ) would buy it for me, but I know he ain't got money like that. I'm just gonna buy it for myself" And so on. AMAZING. But that's more about the direction the scum at Take-Two is pushing their titles towards than the design of RDR 2.....As for the base, unadulterated RDR 2 game, there seem to be many elements that push it towards something more akin to a cowboy minutia simulator than a more traditional action-adventure open world game. From what I've read, what passes for stealth seems like it may be frustrating, as would the recognition/notoriety system. I may love it, but there are some serious red flags for me.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
Haven't watched the video, but will try to eventually. My RDR 2 hype is effectively dead. I have loved R* historically, but the direction GTA has taken.....I almost never watch streams on Twitch, but did so for about 10 minutes last night. My takeaway was that this, THIS, is what GTA has become. It was like what I'd imagine watching Keeping Up With The Kardashians is like. Some bubble-headed streamer, with thousands of viewers, living some bizarre fantasy life of excess. "Ooooo, I'm gon buy' this car. Id' be nice if ( some guy ) would buy it for me, but I know he ain't got money like that. I'm just gonna buy it for myself" And so on. AMAZING. But that's more about the direction the scum at Take-Two is pushing their titles towards than the design of RDR 2.....As for the base, unadulterated RDR 2 game, there seem to be many elements that push it towards something more akin to a cowboy minutia simulator than a more traditional action-adventure open world game. From what I've read, what passes for stealth seems like it may be frustrating, as would the recognition/notoriety system. I may love it, but there are some serious red flags for me.

If you love exploration, hunting, fishing, gathering, canoeing, horse riding, and the occasional comedy chaos, then this is the game for you.
If you love stealth, open ended mission design, snappy controls and great gun play, run for the hills.

Best is to simply get lost in the world, discover all the little stories hidden in the world while ignoring the main story. The story is not bad, actually has some very good moments, it's just very badly presented through restrictive outdated game play mechanics.

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 31 December 2018

Around the Network

After the scripted disappointment that was GTA 5, I agree.

San Andreas master race!

I can't watch the video yet, so I could be missing some big points, but the title bothers me. It implies that good game design can expire, and that new game design is automatically better.

CladInShadows said:
I can't watch the video yet, so I could be missing some big points, but the title bothers me. It implies that good game design can expire, and that new game design is automatically better.

Well, the title is not very indicative of whats in the video actually. I guess you could "conflicting" game design. They have crafted this huge beautiful huge open world, but the missions are surprisingly restrictive, even more linear than your uncharteds/TLOUs.

I guess "outdated" here means that there is way more competition in the open world sector than five years ago, and more games do missions/quests simply much better.

Last edited by flashfire926 - on 31 December 2018

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

some context OP please, who is this? is it you? In all honesty qq about a game or a developer who spends millions and billions on their games and takes time (normally 5+ years per title) on the games I really think they're the last people in the games industry that anyone should be trying to fire shit at, at least with Rockstar if you've got an issue with them as a game creator you don't have to put up with their games launching every other month and clogging up the bargain bins of local goodwills etc.

Just in terms of devs to gun for... Rockstar really wouldn't be the first to get attention in my opinion and this just seems like a video dropped to try to get some "oh no it isn't" views from people who just picked up what will likely be a candidate for game of the gen.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
some context OP please, who is this? is it you? In all honesty qq about a game or a developer who spends millions and billions on their games and takes time (normally 5+ years per title) on the games I really think they're the last people in the games industry that anyone should be trying to fire shit at, at least with Rockstar if you've got an issue with them as a game creator you don't have to put up with their games launching every other month and clogging up the bargain bins of local goodwills etc.

Just in terms of devs to gun for... Rockstar really wouldn't be the first to get attention in my opinion and this just seems like a video dropped to try to get some "oh no it isn't" views from people who just picked up what will likely be a candidate for game of the gen.

No one is flinging shit anywhere. And I even just said, GTA 5 is in my top 5 games of all time. Games such as GTA PS2 trilogy, Midnight Club 3, and more would make it on that list too. Infact I would be the first person here to step up and defend rockstar, as they seldom ever let me down.

And Did you even watch the video? Its not one of your typical hot take videos made for the sole reason of gathering clicks (I hate those too). 

Bet with Intrinsic: