By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can MS & Sony just simply make next gen fully BC?

DonFerrari said:
freebs2 said:

You gave the awnser yourself, in the past BC was a hassle but with x86 becoming a standard it should be much easier to make Ps5 and Xbox Two "natively" backwards compatible.

As for your previous post, I believe MS has to ask publishers the permission to release thier BC games because technically those game are emulated and this could cause come legal issues. If you are playing an emulated game you aren't just running the original code but your also running the additional emulation code plus maybe some patch or fix to make it run properly. I believe this leaglly colud be seen as an alteration of intellectual property. It would also expalin why BC on Wii and PS2 did not need permissions, since in those cases you were playing just the original code.

PS3 done SW BC on one of the versions both for PS1 and PS2 games.

The biggest problem imho is that on X1 you need to download the game on the XBL, so they need permission to make it available.

There is simply just different agreements in place for all platforms.
So what Sony can do doesn't mean Microsoft can legally do the same and vice versa.

I think at the advent of next-gen Microsoft might make some changes to it's agreements to make the entire process easier... Then again, I thought they would have done the same after they finished up with the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility scheme.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
Pemalite said:
DonFerrari said:

PS3 done SW BC on one of the versions both for PS1 and PS2 games.

The biggest problem imho is that on X1 you need to download the game on the XBL, so they need permission to make it available.

So what Sony can do doesn't mean Microsoft can legally do the same and vice versa.

I think at the advent of next-gen Microsoft might make some changes to it's agreements to make the entire process easier... Then again, I thought they would have done the same after they finished up with the Xbox 360's backwards compatibility scheme.

Problem is that it doesn't matter if it's X2 or X360 BC we are talking about the agreement made at the time of the original game =p

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

They cant because they have to find a way to nickel and dime us off PS Now/XBL and re-release remasters at full price for us to buy. So they wont go full B/C. They know we'll re-buy the game full price, we've shown them we will hundreds of times with re-releases on ps4/xb1/switch, so they wont stop now

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
They cant because they have to find a way to nickel and dime us off PS Now/XBL and re-release remasters at full price for us to buy. So they wont go full B/C. They know we'll re-buy the game full price, we've shown them we will hundreds of times with re-releases on ps4/xb1/switch, so they wont stop now

Still some people have proof that is definitive and certain that PS5 will have BC.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Pemalite said:

Problem is that it doesn't matter if it's X2 or X360 BC we are talking about the agreement made at the time of the original game =p

Hence why I assumed they would have modified things last gen so that things would be more amenable this gen.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

Still some people have proof that is definitive and certain that PS5 will have BC.

Not sure what koolaid they were drinking. Sony didnt buy that Cloud service just to give us full BC compatibility out of the kindness of their hearts. Its to make us pay for it lol. Same with Microsoft. There's no reason to give us full on B/C when were all still buying what they feed us

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

PwerlvlAmy said:
DonFerrari said:

Not sure what koolaid they were drinking. Sony didnt buy that Cloud service just to give us full BC compatibility out of the kindness of their hearts. Its to make us pay for it lol. Same with Microsoft. There's no reason to give us full on B/C when were all still buying what they feed us

I absolutely agree the motivator of BC is monetization, if they couldn't find a way to make it profitable there would be less or no motivation to do it. But there are some holes in your argument.

The reality is the way MS is handling it, packaging the games into new digital downloads and selling games digitally, this all requires consent of the publishers/developers or who ever owns the games. If they made a basic emulator that pretty much only runs disc, I don't think they would need permission much like the OG Xbox emulator on 360. However, their selection OG Xbox actually in the store was very small. No money is being made if people are simply using old discs.

However, it worth noting there are some games that are on BC that are only available on a disc. That means MS is actually making the effort to add games to BC they can't even monetize. Now you must admit that's actually pretty nice.

I think most people agree its probably impossible for the PS4 to handle a PS3 emulator that can run all games at full speed. So they can't really monetize PS3 games on PS4 the same way MS monetizes OG Xbox games and 360 games on Xbox One. Most people who use BC are likely using old discs and old digital purchases, but MS is still sells over 500 games previous gen games in their current store. Its not just a nice gesture from MS, its being monetized. Anecdotally I've bought numerous OG Xbox and 360 games in the Xbox store thanks to BC.

You exaggerate how many remasters we actually get. Just take into consideration most of the games on Xbox BC don't have remasters. There are many studios that would be happy to keep selling a previous gen game without having to actually port or remaster it. That's where BC comes in.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
PwerlvlAmy said:

You exaggerate how many remasters we actually get. Just take into consideration most of the games on Xbox BC don't have remasters. There are many studios that would be happy to keep selling a previous gen game without having to actually port or remaster it. That's where BC comes in.

I don't think it exaggerated to say that at least on the Playstation side of things like 95% of first and third party titles worth playing on  PS3 has been made available via remasters and ports on the PS4

It's definitely a possibility with Sony since their PS4 platform pretty much allows them to extend the GPU ISA as they wish so future PS systems like we saw with the PS4 Pro may not even need to be binary equivalent or a superset of the previous systems to be backwards compatible with software built for them and for Microsoft, I don't foresee them encountering many issues either ...

melbye said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I don't think it exaggerated to say that at least on the Playstation side of things like 95% of first and third party titles worth playing on  PS3 has been made available via remasters and ports on the PS4

Relative to the number of games released, not a significant number has been remastered. There are also a ton of games on PS Now that don't have PS4 remasters.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)